Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Memphis had about a 6-hour monsoon. The sun came up and I decided go home from work, so I put my computer in the trunk. I noticed both sides of the truck partition flap is soaking wet.

I think there is a design flaw on the rubber seals around the trunk. All the rubber seals/gaskets around the trunk got replaced in January, because of the same problem. :( :(

The sad part of the story is that Mercedes customer care is not aware of the problem.

Hemm, I know of over 36 R230 SL owners have the same leaking water problem in the trunk as me. Are you fellow SL owners reporting your problems to Mercedes customer care? It always seem like I am the only one with problems when I talk to them

Attachments

·
Registered
'98 BMW 540i 6-spd
124 Posts
tiggerfink - 4/7/2005 11:04 PM

Does this help?

You know, I have never seen a car with so many bumps in a location where bumps would likely cause problems with proper fitting.

Is this really the normal setup? I am not putting down tigger's SL but this does not look factory condition to me. There seems to be patches of sheet metal that were added as an after-thought. Someone has been hand-splicing sheet metal over some surgery they did to that round-edged ridge.

Could it be they found a big design problem and had to operate on the piece in the field? That's the only explanation I can see. No MB should leave a factory with that kind of workmanship.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brown klister - 4/8/2005 9:44 AM

Does this help?

You know, I have never seen a car with so many bumps in a location where bumps would likely cause problems with proper fitting.

Is this really the normal setup? I am not putting down tigger's SL but this does not look factory condition to me. There seems to be patches of sheet metal that were added as an after-thought. Someone has been hand-splicing sheet metal over some surgery they did to that round-edged ridge.

Could it be they found a big design problem and had to operate on the piece in the field? That's the only explanation I can see. No MB should leave a factory with that kind of workmanship.
What you are referring to is three pieces of rubber seal. Yes it is factory.

·
Registered
'98 BMW 540i 6-spd
124 Posts
tiggerfink - 4/8/2005 12:31 PM

brown klister - 4/8/2005 9:44 AM

Does this help?

What you are referring to is three pieces of rubber seal. Yes it is factory.

Yikes! [:O] ...and that's where the water is coming in too.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The service advisor called me today and he told me that all the rubber seals around the trunk will be replace. Dealer will order the seal kit that consists of 3 rubber seals.

So my car will be spending the weekend at the dealer hospital.

·
Registered
E500, C43 AMG, E280
328 Posts
Hello

I feel sorry for you guys who purchase expensive cars only to find out they have been poorly built and always in the shop! I highly recommened anyone that has problems with thier new cars lodge complaints immediatly! My E500 or E280 have never had such problems, comes to show how Mercedes's quality has changed.

Tigger - I hope your SL500 gets repaired, its a very beautiful car!

·
Registered
W212 E63, Dark Ash, Distronic plus
49 Posts
See my post from December:

""A quick search of the forum will reveal that others have
complained of water leaks in the trunk (the boot) of the
R230. I had the same problem. As you might expect MB
acts as though yours id the first ever SL to leak.
The truth is that they have major problem with this and as usual,
refuse to acknowledge any of it.
My leak got fixed (I hope) by re-gluing the trunk lid
gaskets and doing some minor adjustments to improve the seal.
But not before I got my important paper work wet and the
cotton shopping bag got mouldy.

Good luck!!""

They are very aware of this, but true to from, they
deny everythig and always make you feel like you came
from a differnet planet: one where MB is not worshipedlike in this Forum...

·
Registered
2003 SL500
252 Posts
Tigger, what's the latest?

By the way, my 03 sl has the same gaskets, but they are black rubber, and the piece underneath is much more neatly placed.

The water should run down the channel on top, and out the sides. If it overflows or leaks out in the joint between the center piece and the side pieces, your trunk gets wet.

I'm guessing the joint is ok, but the seal between the trunk lid and the pieces is bad. I'm also wondering if the silver pieces are not as resilient as the black ones.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The seals came in before I took off to my trip to Star Tech. The tech did a crappy job on replacing the 3 seals. I showed the service manager and the dealer orded me 3 new seals. I was not happy with the sloppy repair job. The trunk leak the entire trip. The pictures are below of the bad repair job.

The MBUSA big dogs took pictures of my trunk at Star Tech in Cary, NC. They were not too happy with the repair. MBUSA and I saw scratch damage under the seal. I will show the dealer the damage when I get back on Thursday. It is not looking good for the tech that repair my car. The car still leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 SL55
27 Posts
I have a 2003 SL55, bought last year, and after several months of rain, the locking mechanism failed (same issue as reported here). Dealer said "car must have been in an accident". They did fix it free (new seals), but never mentioned that it was not an uncommon occurrence.

Bob

·
Registered
GL350 CDI Euro 5 265 Hp
222 Posts
Hi all

I wanted to bring this topic back up since i have leaking water in the trunk (boot). I havent had a chance to find out where yet but will do that in the next day or 2. Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the 3 seals i may need and if it can be done under recall FOC by MB ?.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
The trunk can be sealed without buying new rubbers,,I have done 3 cars from 2002-3 I have done some writes ups for parts of this here
Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

I need to do another one so that I can take photos of sealing the C pillar seals

1 - 20 of 31 Posts