Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
My independent shop used Pentosin ATF1 for my CLk 430.

This has been used by some other members on these web sites, with great report-outs. My car's been driving great since as well.

It's not "on the list," but Pentosin says it meets specs and I believe there are many shops out there that do use this. For all those people who service their car at a shop and don't ask questions...who knows what's put in those. Pentosin replied to an email I sent and they do recommend their fluid for this tranny.

I've been keeping up on some of this discussion and seems like it just goes 360.

I'd recommend just getting what ever is on "the list" for peace of mind (if you're doing it yourself) and I do think Fuchs makes the OEM.

I have no complaints about the Pentosin, but if I made the choice for mine, I would have asked for Fuchs Titan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My independent shop used Pentosin ATF1 for my CLk 430.

This has been used by some other members on these web sites, with great report-outs. My car's been driving great since as well.

It's not "on the list," but Pentosin says it meets specs and I believe there are many shops out there that do use this. For all those people who service their car at a shop and don't ask questions...who knows what's put in those. Pentosin replied to an email I sent and they do recommend their fluid for this tranny.

I've been keeping up on some of this discussion and seems like it just goes 360.

I'd recommend just getting what ever is on "the list" for peace of mind (if you're doing it yourself) and I do think Fuchs makes the OEM.

I have no complaints about the Pentosin, but if I made the choice for mine, I would have asked for Fuchs Titan.
Well I had to check the specs because I never heard of their ATF before.
http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentosin_ATF1_V3.pdf

The specs are probably close enough but it's Kinematic viscosity specs are a little thicker when it gets warm or hot. All the 236.14 fluids have a 6.Xmm^2/s range for 100C kinematic. the 40C Kinematic spec is higher too, so yea it is similar to the original 722.6 fluid viscosity at 7.6mm^2/s. It's also thicker when cold if you look at the -40C dynamic viscosity. They also measured the density at 5C higher than the fuchs spec sheet, but it is pretty close.

However it is "Fully Synthetic" (might not mean 100% synthetic in some cases especially American brand) and it might not degrade as fast. The motul 100% synthetic has a lower cold pour than Fuchs though, this fluid is the same at -51C. I see it on ebay for a 5liter Jug it's $62 shipped, so yea it's probably good enough and I wouldn't worry.

Heres the specsheet on Fuchs for comparison. Most 236.14 approved fluids don't deviate too far from these numbers.
http://www.generaloils.net/PI_TITANATF-4134_e.pdf

Actually thanks a lot for showing me this, I may be using it in the 722.6 next time instead of amsoil, both are not on the list, both are closer to the original fully synthetic fluid both being synthetic and in the 7.X Kinematic Visc Range. But I'd rather use the German stuff.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I checked Fuch ATF. Accoridng to Fuch site,
Fuch-3353 is 236.12 approved
and Fuch-4134 is 236.14 approved.

Then I checked the price from a Canadian online store, Fuch-3353 is actually more expensive. Fuch-3353 (4L) is $105 and Fuch-4134 (4L) is $55.

Since 236.14 is backward compatibale, it looks like Fuch-4134 is more suitable for our 722.6 transmission.

Also, I am only doing the pan flush, will this Fuch-4134 mix well with MB 236.14 ATF?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I checked Fuch ATF. Accoridng to Fuch site,
Fuch-3353 is 236.12 approved
and Fuch-4134 is 236.14 approved.

Then I checked the price from a Canadian online store, Fuch-3353 is actually more expensive. Fuch-3353 (4L) is $105 and Fuch-4134 (4L) is $55.

Since 236.14 is backward compatibale, it looks like Fuch-4134 is more suitable for our 722.6 transmission.

Also, I am only doing the pan flush, will this Fuch-4134 mix well with MB 236.14 ATF?
Yea there was a Mercedes TSB around 2008 I think that says to use 236.14 for both 722.6 and 722.9(now that I think about it, this TSB is evidence they aren't sticking to lifetime fill anymore on 722.6 HAH). Except it says to use 236.12 for the Transfer Case on AWD 164 and 251 models.

I used Shell ATF 134 last time on the 722.6 and just did pan, filter, and electrical plug. I mixed the fluid and it was fine, Mercedes will say it's fine too if you ask them, as the dealers only do pan drop method, and many use Shell ATF which might be different from OEM fill, most if not all dealers will not drain the torque converter, I asked the SA already.

So yes, bottom line, mixing is fine, and 236.14 is fine in the 722.6 transmission. The fuchs might even be identical to your current MB fluid.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know many members here use Shell-134 but it is hard to get in Canada.

Now that I read about Fuch-4134. I like to find out more about this ATF. This ATF is about half the price of MB ATF and I can get it locally. Also, there is a chance that Fuch-4134 and MB ATF are identical.

First off, do any members have experience with this ATF?

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Fuchs was recommended by my local indy warehouse as fluid used by local indys.
I bought a case of it for about $10/liter for future service on son's car.
I have high confidence with the advice and as I posted above, the Valvoline proved itself as well.

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
UPDATE.
When the pictures I took flushing ATF were done in 2008, I sold the car short time after as I did not like NA diesel.
In 2016 I met the buyer again. The car (driven by his son) had 350k miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Back to the original topic, what is your take on lifetime tranny fluid? Leave it alone and transmission sealed up?
Merc C220 CDI W204 - Looking at this problem I found out the following: Auto oil "Sealed for life" just means "Sealed away from user, MB only". My service manual says it should be done every 60,000km, probably = 40,000miles. In my case that was not done by Diesel Motors (Perth, Western Australia) at 120,000km, nor at 60,000km by another Merc agent. Sad! Service manager claims it was recommended to user and user declined, rubbish, the invoice lists five other recommendations, like new tyres but not essential oil changes. Diesel fuel filter was also never changed and when I cut it open it showed extensive contaminations. Worse: My MB2 diagnostic tells me the water sensor had failed in the fuel filter, so that should have told the mechanic to change it.

Recommending an essential and compulsory oil change in writing would expose Merc to ridicule plus they make much more money suggesting "optional services", like windshield wipers for AUS$120 or US$90.

Now I have done the fuel filter myself and will do the auto oil also.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
17 Participants
domwild
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing