Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C320 Estate Wagon, 2003 230SLK, 2005 Sprinter Van, a few Brand-X BMWs and other stray dogs.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 C320 Wagon

I recently had my car's headliner replaced, and as part of the procedure, the battery was disconnected as a safety precaution by the shop.

Tonight (weeks later) was the first time since this repair that I actually tried using my sunroof, and it's NOT happy.

The tilt-up feature works fine, and the close function works OK (though the auto-close does not, though holding the switch to "Close" is fine w/ me).

What is screwed up, however, is that pressing the switch aft to OPEN the sliding function only makes the glass open about 1". If I then go back one click (auto-open), or release and re-position to Open, it moves back one additional inch. In order to open it fully I have to press "open" and release, then open, and release, over and over until it is fully open.

I reviewed the manual (Page 190 in my C320 Wagon owner's manual) that discusses "Synchronizing the sliding/pop-up roof" (i.e., "The sliding sunroof must be resynchronized if the power supply has been interrupted (battery disconnected or low)..., but that didn't seem to do it.

The sunroof is not obstructed, or otherwise jammed, and as I mentioned, it DOES slide smoothly closed in one motion if the switch is HELD in the "Close" position.

Any other solutions?

Unfortunately, I dare not disconnect the battery again, because my State Inspection is coming up, and the last time the battery was disconnected, it took well over a MONTH of normal driving for all of the required OBD II "Readiness Monitors" to reset so they would pass my car. I can't afford to have my vehicle taken off-the-road for such a failure-to-pass again.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2002 C320 Estate Wagon, 2003 230SLK, 2005 Sprinter Van, a few Brand-X BMWs and other stray dogs.
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved.

1) First, the manual says to raise the pop-up sunroof and hold for 1 second.
Problem was that while I THOUGHT the sunroof was popped-up ALL the way, it wasn't. I had to press it up in 3 stages until it was FULLY raised.

2) The manual says to hold the switch for ONE second. When I held it approximately 4 seconds (until the dome light went from slightly dimmed to full bright, indicating that the current draw has ceased) after the sunroof was FULLY opened, the system "Resynchronized" itself and now works normally.

I liked the "old" controls with wired connections and no computer involvement, but such is life.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Komp Coupe
4 Posts
Problem solved.

1) First, the manual says to raise the pop-up sunroof and hold for 1 second.
Problem was that while I THOUGHT the sunroof was popped-up ALL the way, it wasn't. I had to press it up in 3 stages until it was FULLY raised.

2) The manual says to hold the switch for ONE second. When I held it approximately 4 seconds (until the dome light went from slightly dimmed to full bright, indicating that the current draw has ceased) after the sunroof was FULLY opened, the system "Resynchronized" itself and now works normally.

I liked the "old" controls with wired connections and no computer involvement, but such is life.
SWITCH BROBPLEM SOLUTION
have FLAT HEAD in driver side door pocket..for quick switch fix

1. LOOK UP - u see SWITCH and BOX UPPER PANEL WITH LIGHTS
you pop it out look in OWNERS MNL. how to close SUNROOF by hand or manually.

2. JUST POP OUT WHOLE PANEL AND PUT IT BACK ON and IT WORKS AGAIN.

3.I do it while engine on or off

this technique also work on power window switch when it goes NO AUTOMATIC MODE when you are using switch or want switch to work for you it make you work instead. JUST POP IT OUT PUT IT BACK IN...these symptoms happens to me sometimes during WINTER.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks-
I'll try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts