Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was on travel and the car was in the shop, I asked them to do the plug change along with what I originally brought the car in for - new rubber + alignment + check front suspension hardware. Yeah I know, it costs a lot more that way, but I had to do it. After I picked the car up, I found out that the spark plug process at my local MB shop also involves servicing that smaller top chamber on the valve covers. As most know, leaks in this chamber are very common with these V8 motors. In fact, mine had this leak few years back and it was repaired for a couple hundred dollars. My ML (same motor) had same leak on passenger and was done under warranty. It's currently sipping slowly on the driver's side. So I was very glad to know that they did this during the plug change. Is this a regular MB process for doing the plugs?

The pics below show the leaks I'm talking about (ML motor)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Actually, while the leak is common to both the M113 and M113, resealing is not part of any regular MB service.

I often suggest to the casual DIYer that they make a day of it and change the plugs, motor mounts and reseal those covers, replacing the breather hoses at the same time. You save a lot of duplicated labor that way, and pivoting the engine up one side at a time adds lots of additional room to work on those pesky plugs.

Glad they took care of it for you, and if it's your regular shop, no big deal. You wouldn't want a shop just fixing stuff without first checking with you, though.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad they took care of it for you, and if it's your regular shop, no big deal. You wouldn't want a shop just fixing stuff without first checking with you, though.
We have only one MB dealer here and I use them for most everything. When I asked why the plug job was pricey, my SA explained to me what they planned to do. After her explanation, and considering how much it cost to do only the passenger side a couple years back on same car (and seeing what was happening to the ML) it really didn't sound that pricey after all. I always tell them that if it's under $500, just do it.

Hopefully I'll gauge effect on MPG next week when I do what's becoming my commute to DC area again.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Normal "seepage" actually, and the dust floating around the engine compartment that sticks to that light film after a bunch of trouble free miles makes it much nastier looking than it really is. SA's get bonus points for picking up work like that.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normal "seepage" actually, and the dust floating around the engine compartment that sticks to that light film after a bunch of trouble free miles makes it much nastier looking than it really is. SA's get bonus points for picking up work like that.
That can't be normal - why purposefully design the motor to basically leak oil onto the atmosphere? It runs down to below the coil packs and left unchecked, may run onto the hot manifolds and cause a scare!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
That can't be normal - why purposefully design the motor to basically leak oil onto the atmosphere? It runs down to below the coil packs and left unchecked, may run onto the hot manifolds and cause a scare!
What I think he's saying is that it's normal accumulation after it starts seeping and probably looks worse than it is. Sort of like it's normal for you to see transmission fluid on the ground once the poorly-designed spacer/adapter starts leaking.

Either way it should be fixed, though. It's about an hour per side once you have the intake and coils/wires out of the way, which is why it's a great idea to do it when you're doing the plugs. I like your SA and glad she was looking for it, some are sloppy enough they'd miss it. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts