Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mars Red SLK280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My SLK Saved My Life on Mother's Day-NEW PICS ADDED TO THREAD

Not sure where to post this. I'm very new to this board. I apologize if this should be posted in a different thread. On yesterday (Sunday 11May) I was taking my mother for a ride in my 9 month old SLK. This is my first MB and I loved it from the moment I sat in it. After yesterday, I plan to never own any other vehicle. My mother and I were kinda t-boned by a drunk driver (this accident was the driver's 5th DWI in a 4 yr period). I was going about 55mph heading north and he was coming from the west also driving about 55 or faster. He never braked or let off the gas, he just blew through his stop sign and basically ran OVER my hood. He was driving a Dodge Ram 2500 V8 pickup. Anyway, my mother and I suffered VERY VERY minor injuries (considering the amount of damage) just a bruise or two and seatbelt burns. Anyway take a look and you will see why I say Mercedes-Benz gave me a pretty decent Mother's Day gift on Sunday by building a safe vehicle. Oh and the blue tarp in the pic was placed on by the tow yard workers because they could not figure out how manually raise the top.

****One more thing****He fired right up out there in the tow yard...yep growling like he was on the showroom floor. I couldn't believe that it started up like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Good to hear you are alright and writing this post the day after.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
966 Posts
Glad you and yours are ok!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Thankfully you were in a Mercedes. When I read the specs on the car before I ordered mine in April 2004, I was particularlly impressed with the amount of "high strength steel" that they use in the car. My question is Why wasn't the other driver cooling his a$$ in jail for the previous offenses?

·
Registered
SLK 350
216 Posts
Very glad to hear you and your mum are ok! Sad how the law never seems to protect the innocent from idiots like that :mad:

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
I am glad that you are safe and sound, the car is very strong and just looking at its exterior you might not believe at that its better or safer than most SUV's.

·
Registered
2008 Mars Red SLK280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankfully you were in a Mercedes. When I read the specs on the car before I ordered mine in April 2004, I was particularlly impressed with the amount of "high strength steel" that they use in the car. My question is Why wasn't the other driver cooling his a$$ in jail for the previous offenses?
Duo-Art he is in jail right now doing a mandatory 20 days (Alaska Law). They carried him from the hospital in handcuffs. He was arraigned yesterday and was charged with two class C felonies (because both my mom and I were injured even though it's minor) and two misdemeanors 1 for the DWI and 1 for driving on a revoked license. Yeah...I'm Sooooo glad I was in this car and so were all of the emergency workers. Several of the nurses at the hospital said their next car will be a MB.

·
Registered
2008 Mars Red SLK280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks to all for the well wishes! I'm still very sore and stiff, but over all I feel fine. Just irritated because now I'm inconvenienced...meaning taking time off work to go to doctors appointments, going to the tow yard to get my personals out of the car, waiting for the tow yard to take my car to MB for estimates (car being held for investigation...on the part of the other driver), waiting on the insurance company to decide if the vehicle is totaled, making phone calls to state troopers, and all of the other daily life that goes on. I know it's only been two days, but when I thought about all of the drama that goes with being in an accident I became very agitated. Especially after I was told that the person that hit us was drunk:mad:

The summer's are very short in Alaska and I want my car back. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2008 Mars Red SLK280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...will you be picking up another SLK? (Glad to hear that you and your mom are okay.)
Yep, I'm calling Anchorage MB today just to make sure they have one ready or on order to come to Alaska. They don't send many SLK's here maybe two or three and once they are sold that's it unless someone special orders one. The one that I had was actually meant to be sold in Canada. It had the heated steering wheel, a feature that is not on the US models (I guess it would be a custom order). That was one of my favorite accessories because I drove my car with the top down until the first snowflake flew. After that it was garaged for the winter. I just took it out for the season three weeks ago.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Glad to know you and mom are relatively fine. :)

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
What a terrible crash. Amazing how the cabin was still in one piece. Sorry about the loss, but more importantly the driver and passenger are okay.

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
213 Posts
Wow. Someone upstairs was really looking out for you. Thanks for the post. Every now & then we all need to share stories like that and I (along with all of the other posters above) want to say that I'm glad that you & your Mom are OK.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Wow. Someone upstairs was really looking out for you. Thanks for the post. Every now & then we all need to share stories like that and I (along with all of the other posters above) want to say that I'm glad that you & your Mom are OK.
Amen. Instances like this are when you start believing that someone is definitely pulling the strings up there...

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Hope you and your mother are doing okay. The car is definetely totaled. Don't know how insurance works up there, but you should probably get a rental ASAP, and start shopping for cars...also, make sure you get second, third, and 4th opinions on all your injuries, soft-tissue, temporary, or otherwise. The other insurance company is going to be trying to negotiate their way out of things...make sure you don't let them.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I really hope the other guy gets put away for good. 5 DUI's in a 4 year period, he could have killed the both of you. Definitely should NOT be driving EVER again for doing that. What a [email protected]

Glad to hear you guys are alive, Mercedes ftw!

·
Registered
2008 Mars Red SLK280
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update...it's totaled

Hope you and your mother are doing okay. The car is definetely totaled. Don't know how insurance works up there, but you should probably get a rental ASAP, and start shopping for cars...also, make sure you get second, third, and 4th opinions on all your injuries, soft-tissue, temporary, or otherwise. The other insurance company is going to be trying to negotiate their way out of things...make sure you don't let them.
Hey I just talked to the body shop today...the estimate is at 45K and still counting. So yep, it's totaled...just like we all figured. As far as insurance goes, my insurance is taking care of everything for right now because this guy was such a loser that his wife had to LIE to her insurance company to get him covered. Now with all of his priors from other states coming to light, her policy may not cover him. His misdemeanor DWI has now been upgraded to a felony because of this. Not sure what good any of it will do since it's pretty clear they (judicial system) will not keep him off the streets until he actually kills someone.

Anyway enough about that. I talked with Anchorage Mercedes today and they said they would be able to scout the dealerships across the country and find me another Black SLK and have it shipped to Alaska within two weeks of my request. Of course it will be an '08, which is fine with me. I was glad to here that. Now I just need to see how things will pan out with the insurance company. And speaking of rentals, I had a little tift with the "other" insurance company today. The agent told me that they would gladly cover a rental as long as it's "reasonable". I told her "lady I live in Alaska and paid 50K for a car that I can only drive 3 or 4 months a year...I find that very reasonable so plan on getting a bill from Anchorage Mercedes for my mid-size rental. What's reasonable for me may not be reasonable for the next person". Anyway, she tried to stick to her "script". She basically wanted me to go down to the local Rent-A-Wreck to get a car. I picked up a C300 today for about $65.00 per day from MB (actually they offered it to me for a flat rate for a week after seeing the pics of the wreck). Can y'all believe they (the insurance co) actually want me to "downgrade"!!? I'm thinking DAMN, not only did your client try to kill me and my mom, he tore up my car and to add insult to injury you want me to rent a sub-compact car from some local no name rental company?:mad: She would have been better off giving me a coupon for REI or Sports Authority at least I could have bought a decent mountain bike or some skates. The ironic thing is, I wasn't going to rent a car until she made that comment. So today I rented the C-class just out of spite and because I'm mad as HE// ! :mad:

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
If the insurance company is being a b1tch, involve your lawyer. If they really wanna play, start telling them that you're experiencing a lot of pain lately in your neck, that will scare them sh1tless as it will cost then TEN TIMES what they would have to shell if they just gavr you a loaner that you wanted.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Just remember. Insurance companies are run by "bean counters." They'll do whatever they can to improve their bottom line. I like Shinigami's advice. It'll keep them on their toes.

BTW. If you're not particular about color, there's an orion blue SLK available (without the premium package) in Tulsa, Oklahoma. LOL. (See jakepratt thread.)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts