Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML500
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to test drive the A4 1.8Turbo and the C230 Kompressor Sedan yesterday.

A4 Pro's:

- $33,000 MSRP with 1)Cold Package; 2)Sports Package; 3)Xenon Lights; 4)Bose Premium Sound; and 5) rear side airbags
- The interior aesthetics looks and feels very high quality (i.e.: buttons, dashboard, leather seats, etc)
- 6 Disc CD Changer in the console (it takes one CD at a time up to 6 CD's right at the radio console! really really cool!)
- Includes Maintenance (brake pads too!) for 4 yr/50K miles.
- Available Extended Warranty (not just powertrain too!) for and additional $2,500 (additional 2 more years 100K)
- Full size spare tire.
- Very large trunk space
- First Aid Kit and Included tools doesn't look cheap
- Includes the triangluar hazard sign.
- Dual Climate Control.
- Dual power seats
- Automatic downshift when in tiptronic mode!!
- 4 wheel drive for couple hundred more

A4 Con's:
- Exterior aesthetics doesn't look as good or classy as the C230.
- Major lag in first gear! except in tiptronic mode
- Resell value is not as high as C230 (I'm guess on this).
- Rear leg room is very limited

C230 Pro's:
- Exterior aesthetic looks very sharp and classy.
- Driving Performance is better than the A4.
- Resell value tend to be higher than A4 (Again, I'm guessing this)
- Side blinkers on side mirrors looks very cool
- Includes maintenance (but not brake pads!) for 4 yr/50K miles.
- pretty good gas mileage
- trip computer similar to the S-class
- Steering wheel controls similar to the S-class
- Dual Climate Control
- Rear-window automatic sunscreen

C230 Con's:
- Interior aesthetics feels and looks cheap!!..especially the dashboard and side panels on the doors! Hard plastic pleather...yuck! Our S500 feels and looks the same too!! The ML500, fortunately, doesn't feel or look the same.
- absolutely no rear leg room!
- the weirdest looking and useless cup holder!! whassup wit dat?!?
- did I mention the pleather on the dashboard and side door panel looks and feel super cheap?!?!?
- same old Alpine 6 disc CD changer!! (the same one since our SEL500 in 1991!!!)
- tiny little spare tire
- semi-power seats for driver...SEMI!?!?! (manual for passenger!)
- no rear side airbags
- only 2 wheel drive

She personally does not like the BMW at all. It's pricier than the above two for the same options. But still, we're going to test drive it on Sunday along with the Lexus RX330.

Anyhow, should she go A4 or C230? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
USF, What C230 RU talking about>>>

the Coupe or a Sedan, I thought the rear side Airbag is standard on all MB, How about the diffirences of between FWD and RWD. which one do you prapare, IMO I like RWD.[:)][;)] My C320 Sport Sedan is on the Dock right NOW ready for delivery,,,,[;)][;)]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
There is only one opinion that matters.

Hers. Not mine, not yours, not anyone on this board on anywhere else. She should schedule back to back test drives and drive the cars over the same routes, if possible. Then she should buy the car she likes best.

I am assuming she is paying for the car. If your parents are buying it, then they should have some input.

·
Registered
'01 C240
272 Posts
Hey I can kinda help you on this being an owner of an A4 and a C Class. First off get you...

Hey I can kinda help you on this being an owner of an A4 and a C Class. First off get your mind outta the gutter w/the resale value of the benz-I tried trading it in a few months ago and let me tell you, I was shocked on how much value it lost. The C Class feels heavier and more stable. The car looks expensive from the outside. I personally like how my C Class rides(evenw/springs and rims) more than the A4. Now the A4 is a bargain! We picked one up for $3500 less than sticker. Their options are cheap and your not forced to buy something you don't want in order to get something you want(ex phone and cd changer). It is FAST! It looks very sporty and it's interior is really nice. It does ride good, but doesn't feel heavy. Also the nav sucks on the audi. Btw I got a 3.0 Cabriolet if it makes a difference and a C240. You can't go wrong w/either car though.

·
Registered
2002 ML500
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's actually looking into the A4 1.8turbo, which is totally different than the 3.0 Cabriolet

But how did you like the C240, since it's closer to the C230 sedan versus A4 1.8 vs A4 3.0?

I'm also glad to know that you paid $3500 less than sticker price, because she'll be glad to hear it too! What did you pay for the C240?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2002 ML500
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're absolutely right.

Since she's paying for the car, the last word will of course be hers. However, since she has no clue about cars, she did ask for my advice, assistance and input on what I think about her selection. Hence, our test drives last Sunday. Also, she's only 22 and she gets nervous with sales guys that does nothing but intimidate lil girls like my sister. And I think it's good to have honest second opinions, especially when it's from someone who's not a salesperson.

·
Registered
2002 ML500
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow..Jim! Congratulation on the C320!

My sister is interested in the C230 Sedan. The sales guy did tell us about the rear wheel drive on the C class. He also told us that the A4 is more of a front wheel drive than a 4 wheel drive (I felt doubtful when he made that statement). The sales guy told me that the rear side airbag is an added option.

I hope you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the C320? What options did you get? Did you add any extended warranty? And if you did...how much did you pay?

You still have your ML, right!?!? Thanks again, Jim!

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
ha ha, Yes, I still have my ML,

Anyway, I got an option, C2,C4,Tele-aid and CD Changer, none in the area has that option that why it has to order it from Germany, I paid, $200.00 over invoice price, which is $38,776 + TAX and license.and this is for C320 S/S.

I didn't know your sister is only 22, I think the C230 sedan is a good choice for her, its stronger than C240 sedan, and it has a front sport seat, std.

·
Registered
MBENZ ML320, AUDI A4 SPORT, MBENZ C230K SS (current)
1,729 Posts
mercedes-benz tends to be more expensive than AUDI's due to the name and the prestige.

mercedes-benz tends to be more expensive than AUDI's due to the name and the prestige.

if your sister is looking for a bargain and is really not to picky on the styling i would go for the a4. but if she's into performance and class then the c230 is a better deal. plus i dont think your sister needs an a4 cos you guys live in san fran. so i dont think you'll be driving in bad climates that much.

each vehicle has it's advantages over the other.
a4- awd, good warranty, and solid built vehicle
c230- styling, performance, and high safety rating

·
Registered
2002 ML500
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She'll be glad to hear what you said..great advice!

Thanks for the input, Boy6. And btw, did you finally decide to trade in your ML for the C class? I remember reading about your dilemna. Care to share? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2002 ML500
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the same position my sister is in right now.

But what made you finally decide on the C240 4matic? And also, could you please share how much you paid for yours? And any negoetiation tactics that you used that might be useful for my sister? Thanks a bunch for your input. = )

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Congrats, Chuck...

Not exactly the same lineup but, we were down to the Audi 1.8T Quatro, BMW 325Xi, and the C240 4MATIC. The Audi would have saved us a little bit, and the 325 was the same.
Another C-class eh? Or is the C230K going soon?

Having driven several 3-series sedans on back to back comparos with the C-class (on a couple of occasions on the track even), I think that the C-class is a great compromise. A nicer/more up-to-date interior than the BMW in many respects, but yet a comfortable ride with a good amount of power when necessary. [:)]

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Congratulation Chuck;-)

I can't wait to get my hand on mine
[:(][:(][:(]Still floating somewhere. 3 more long weeks to wait

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sport Seda
12 Posts
:D

get a C 320 ;)

·
Registered
MBENZ ML320, AUDI A4 SPORT, MBENZ C230K SS (current)
1,729 Posts
okay this what happen. me and my family decided to go for a C-class but the trade in val...

okay this what happen. me and my family decided to go for a C-class but the trade in value for my ML was around 15-20cdn. which is around 10-15usd. plus i have to add another 35cdn dollars to but the c230 kompressor which i think is a bit too much. i thought i would get around 25~30 cdn dollars for the trade in, i did so much with my ML change the head light units, chrome accessories, and new tires, just a whole bunch. so i just decided to keep it for another a year or two years max after the extended warranty finish. Maybe the Next generation ML???? [:D]
glad i could help sanfran..~

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Now you need to...

Probably not to helpful...but couldn't resist posting
Change your city lamp bulbs and get rid of those blue bulbs in the signal housing! [:)]

See mine:

·
Registered
'01 C240
272 Posts
Re: Now you need to...

Probably not to helpful...but couldn't resist posting
Change your city lamp bulbs and get rid of those blue bulbs in the signal housing! [:)]

See mine:
You know what, I really like the blue tinted turn signal. But I was actually thinking of switching that city light...thanks for the input[:)]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree with that...

Only partialy true. Part of the price is the superior engineering and development that goes into an MB.
Audi tends to nickel and dime you on safety features, such as rear side airbags, which all MBzs have as standard equipment. Many other niggly bits are options whereas they are standard on the C-class. When you add it up, although the base price of the A4 may be lower, it is actually comparable to the C once the former is loaded up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SF, I also live in SF and have been looking at both these cars extensively - a few quick p...

SF, I also live in SF and have been looking at both these cars extensively - a few quick points:

- As others have stated, rear air bags are standard on the MB. On the A4 it is a $350 option. I've done a lot of research on this and the MB appears to be the safest car for your money (AWD excluded).

- The MB should have a full spare, but some (strangely) report a 16" spare.

- 'Included' maintenance is cool, but don't think that the cost of such service is not caluclated into the car's price.

- MB offers an extended warranty program as well, which is very comprehensive. The prices on these warranties are negotiable.

- Rear leg room measurements show very little difference between the MB and Audi, make sure the front seats are set in the same spots for comparison.

- C1 package for the MB offers 10-way dual power front seats, 3-position driver seat, steering wheel and climate memory as well as parking assist. I agree, I really dislike the standard manual adjustments on the 230. But, if there is only going to be one driver of the car, manual adjustments shouldnt really matter...

- A4 reliability is higly dubious, even relative the the C series. This is why I will not be buying an A4 (check out audiworld.com for the details). I'm still trying to get my arms around how reliable the C230 will be... my last barrier in making a purchase.

- A4 1.8t w/ auto is a dog w/out a chip. The MB blows it away. However, check-out the 3.0 CVT for a really sweet and not much more expensive alternative.

Anyway, with the terrible economy here there are lots of A4s and C230s in inventory and prices are very low. LA dealers often offer a lower price as well so you may want to make some calls.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts