Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The whole of yesterday afternoon, rain was pouring like mad. I was travelling on the highwayy, at about 90KM/H. There was this SLK travelling behind me, and it was tailgating. He was soo close, that i was really difficult for me to even change lanes. Thus i used the mighty kick down. The tyres couldnt take the sudden force of torque, and my tyres lost traction, just as i was going about a bend. The traffic wasnt that heavy, and the few cars that were in my wayy managed to move away, except for the 350SLK, who rear ended me, just as my car completely spun around. When the car finally stopped, i was facing on comming traffic, while the SLK had hit my bumper, and i guessed that mangaed to slow him down alot. After i recovered from the shock, i quickly "surprisingly" drove my car to the recess on the left, and so did the SLK. Turns out, his front had a pretty BAD dent, while for me, i only recieved a long scratch, from his number plate.!! AMAZING THESE 126s. I'm really fortunate to have been in a 126.

However, can anyone tell me why this has happened? Yes i am not using performance tyres, but i'm using one of the best tyres in terms of comfort, why couldnt it hold the sudden surge in acceleration.

Already sent my car for wheel alignment and checkups. Soo far, it was just the wheel alignment that needed a little twitch.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
Hi Joel,

The tires probably aquaplaned and lost contact with the wet road surface.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Renderer.jhtml.260.html

Sorry to hear the news. MBL

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
To be honest if this sort of stuff happen you need to do just one go for a driver training school.

It would take an idiot driver(sorry to say this) to to cause a merc sec to spin. There is more than enough control in the car to get back fast enough.

Please go for a driver training school either pasir gudang or sepang(you can join the local porsche or bmw club i am in both the clubs and can get you in to their driver training sessions) before you try any street race you are a danger to the public..... the slk behind you did not spin. It not the car but the driver.

I agree it was raining heavily i did a u- turn at 50 km/h(at thomson road just near the thomson medical centre) tail was wiggling badly still the car did not spin. I am not a very good driver with a timing diiference of 4 to 5 seconds between laps while the best are within 3 seconds at sepang (F 1 drivers)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went for the BMW training, at pasir gudang. That was how i managed to spin the car around, instead of crashing into the barriers! If that had happen, i may not even be here typing this. 90KM/H.
I stepped on the brakes really hard, and the tyres completely locked up. FYI, my ABS computer needs to be changed. It takes the skill i learnt on a bmw 325 that i managed to make such a huge car, with ASR spin 90degrees!

Its okayy, no offence taken.

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
I don't see why you would need to step on the brake in the cause of lane change you would only need to step on the brakes only after you have spun. Hence the spinning was not the cause of the abs mulfunction.

If you do need an abs unit i will be scrapping a w126 in prestine condition. My friend are sharing with me the parts.

Why not go for a track session at sepang there will be a few of us bring your sec along and try to spin it in track. You need to know the limits of your car especially a car of this size. I have spun benltys on track for fun and i tell because of the weight the it's pretty scary.

ASR can't stop you from braking traction round the conner. But it will help greatly in a straight line.

I had a bmw 325i which was a preetier much easier car to spin than a 380 due to poor traction and light weight over the rear wheels.

I have spun my porsche again on track and twitch on the road(nearly spun). You are supposed to for that twitch indicating your car is at the limit.

You should try driving an american muscle car where it is almost uncontrollable.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heh yea i know. Did love to. When? however, might be going overseas for a while. I stepped on the brakes, after i began to lose traction.

Is this W126 ur 300SE? Not really that keen at the moment. As i said earlier, spent 15K on the car after getting it.

Yeah i know, the Bm's are much easier. I used to own a 520i. Surprisingly, i find my "500" to have much more power.

Was coming back from a golf game in malaysia, and this time, i stayed at 120KM/H in between the customs, and this Nissan Cefiro, came really close to me on the right, probably going at about 140/150. It was drawing closer really fast, i just hit the kick down, and the guy couldnt catch up at all!

Is ur porsche white, saw one the other day at wheelock. The engine was really loud coming out of the underground car park.

Thanks for the help and advice, appreciate it.

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
I just went near cny before the F1 yes my w126 is a 300 se and my porsche used to be red am scrapping off the paint now(nearing completion and am thinking what colour to paint it) my porsche number plate is sbn 911z

I have had three other w126 before a 280 se and a 500 sec and a 380 sec( only for three weeks number plate is sbt 2772 m )

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Sounds like what happen to me, except for the exciting wheel spinning part. I got a good thump in the back from an inattentive driver. It looked bad at first but I managed to rub all of it out and smooth it down. Then touched up with paint. It’s not completely gone but you have to look hard for it to see it.

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what kind of tires do you have on your car? How many miles you had on them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own a '78 w116 450SEL for a year now. Have done a whole lot of stupid things in it and it has held up quite well with no break in any suspension parts as of yet.

The situation you described made me remember the time when it was snowing heavily here in Toronto and coming home late on a snowy night with my dad in the car I decided to try new things. On a 6 lane road with no median and no lightpoles around, I used the amazing kickdown switch. No need to say that they rear end went out far to the right. It went so far that I had the option of either skidding sideways to a stop or spinning the front end around. So a perfect 360 it was in this 27year old longer than long sedan. Came out perfectly straight and drove home kinda shocked.

As long as you control the skid its always saveable. I am also 19 so that says a lot about the amount of driving under my belt but the amount of skids and stunts I have done in no the most tossable car hopefully makes me a safer driver in the long run.

Peter

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I had the same kickdown switch experience with the tail end flipping out in the pouring rain. Lucky for me there were no other cars around, and it was around 11pm. Once the tail was out I let the accelerator go to regain traction and countersteered. I got home baffled, shocked, and dazed... [:D]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts