Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is to follow up on my post "For What It's Worth". Just walked in the door from a 430 mile road trip in my E 55 so I thought I'd put this down when it was fresh in my mind. The Kleemann work was performed by Donnie Drummonds of MBS Motors in Atlanta Ga. Donnie was the first Kleemann distributor in the USA. I had the ECU work done, the bigger pulley and headers installed. It's called Kleemann Stage 2. The change is dramatic. Not in the 2X4 upside the head sense but in more subtle terms.The 1st dyno run revealed 406.9hp and 453.8ft/lbs. of torque at the rear wheels. An interesting statement was made by Donnie that all these Kompressor engines put out 490hp. I've read that same thing in this forum somewhere and that Corvette does the same thing. It's a marketing ploy so the folks that buy the bigger car are convinced they are getting a bigger engine for the bigger bucks. Anyhow, the second run showed 475.8hp and 507ft/lbs torque. Using Donnie's formula, that the drive train eats up about 20% of the hp, the car now has 593hp and 630ft/lbs. torque.
The trip going to Atlanta and back was 430 miles. The route was 75% freeway, 25% two lane country roads through small towns and a couple of bigger ones. Going avg. speed 67 mph, 19.5 mpg. Returning 66 mph, 18.2 mpg. That's a small price to pay for the power. Everything else is subjective. The car screams torque. 60-80, half throttle, no down shift, about 4 seconds. 70-120, full throttle and down shifting, about 5 seconds. Donnie removed four pre-catalytic converters and the engine sound is now about 20-30% louder. Emissions? He states he mapped the ECU to pass but I'm relly not concerned because we don't have emission testing where I am. He also says the bigger pulley boosts the pressure from 15 to 17 psi. There is now a definite, although subdued, sucking or whooshing sound coming from the supercharger. Perhaps the installed K&S airfilters created the sound.
Obviously, the only really visible work is the headers. The plumbing diameter is about 30 to 40 percent bigger and without the 90 degree bend right at the exhaust port. The collector is huge as well. Pictures of the headers can be seen on the Kleemann web page and the stock exhaust can be seen on AMG's post of his blown engine.
Donnie also "reset" my transmission which was acting rather strangely. That adds to the drivability of, at least, my car.
All in all it was well worth the money. The first time I got on it, even a little bit, the rear end tried to go a little sideways even with the ESP on. I also passed a string of four cars on a two lane road very effortlessly and no down shifting with about half throttle. I'm duly impressed by this car which, as we all know, was one hell of a vehicle in the first place.

·
Registered
G58K, E55TK
177 Posts
mixed thoughts...

One one hand...I'm really happy for you. It's such a great system and I can only imagine how much happier you are.

On the other hand...I really really wanted to be the first Kleemann E55 wagon in the States[;)] I'm assuming that from your handle, yours is a wagon?

Oh, well, soon enough.

Congrats!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: mixed thoughts...

Silversurfer, no, mine is a four door, so your dream is safe.

silversurfer1 - 4/15/2005 1:44 AM

One one hand...I'm really happy for you. It's such a great system and I can only imagine how much happier you are.

On the other hand...I really really wanted to be the first Kleemann E55 wagon in the States[;)] I'm assuming that from your handle, yours is a wagon?

Oh, well, soon enough.

Congrats!!

·
Registered
2005 E55 Wagon
11 Posts
SilverSurfer,

I'll race you....to the Kleeman dealer!!!

I'd love to see some pics of your car

Just got my wagon a week ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts