Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Mercedes Benz C320, the vehicle is out of warranty so I am kinda aggrevated right now.. On the drive home from work today i went to switch the station. When I switched the station, I lost all reception in the radio... So when i got out of my car I went to lock it with the smartkey remote,, and the remote wouldnt work. That battery in the remote isnt dead because I replaced it two weeks ago. What is going on with my Car???? Should I try and disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
It sounds like a loose connection at the antenna above the rear glass. Or possibly the antenna amplifier went bad. It's strange that it happened when you switched stations though.

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the antenna amplifier located?? How do I drop the rear headliner? not remove it, just drop it.. I see wiring up there I want to check..

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Are you sure you only lost reception? did you try anything else like the CD, just to be sure you do have sound. It could be a number of things.. I if you're sure it's the reception, you might want to try to connect a regular antenna just for test.. you can access your antenna adapter from your passenger foot well. That's the best way to isolate an antenna/amplifier issue.
Which radio are you using? if the Alt antenna doesn't get you reception, then you have a bad radio.

Your keyless entry is not related to this. at all because your radio will work weather the car is on or not. Try another remote first. If your other remote doesn't open the car, somethings wrong with your system. Check fuses first before going to the dealer Maybe the antenna amp and the keyless is on the same circuit.
This is easier that ripping out your headliner.

Good Luck..

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Becker Audio 10 spare radio that I tried, same situation... The Reason that I found the keyless entry to be related was because i got out of work and both my keyless entry and radio were working, by the time i got home 10 minutes later, neither were working. If I hold the remote right to the drivers door, the doors will unlock and lock, but i cant move away from the car or it wont work anymore. Also, is the fuse for the antenna Amp in the drivers door jam?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Evan - 4/6/2005 8:44 PM

I have a Becker Audio 10 spare radio that I tried, same situation... The Reason that I found the keyless entry to be related was because i got out of work and both my keyless entry and radio were working, by the time i got home 10 minutes later, neither were working. If I hold the remote right to the drivers door, the doors will unlock and lock, but i cant move away from the car or it wont work anymore. Also, is the fuse for the antenna Amp in the drivers door jam?
Ok so the infra-red is working which is good because that means the rear fuse box (SAM) is still ok. Its just a broken amp or a broken amp cable or a terrible connection.

There is nothing suspicious about these things. IT can happen at any time.

To drop the C-Class head lining you need not only patience but a lot of ribbon or wide loose fabric to catch the lining.

- remove all pillar trims (some unscrew, some unclip
- remove front visors
- remove mirror and mirror frame
- remove all grab handles
- remove rear passenger lamp
(for sunroof)
- with roof open remove dress strip from front edge of sunroof, should be a piece of extruded metal that pushes up

Whilst pushing forward be ready to catch, tie, support the lining around the A-B pillar and B-C pillar. If you crease it then you have to go to a lot of pain to heat it up and smooth it.

It's certianly a job I would NOT do on my own.

In the Benz workshop manual they actually take out the rear window because it is easier.

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is great you told me how to get the headliner down, thats a great amount of information, but you never told me where the amp is located,, And when you say amp I assume it is the radio antenna Amp.How would this amp affect my keyless entry?? does it rely on the same amp to catch a signal? Also when removing the pillar trims, do I also need to disconnect battery power in order to prevent accidental airbag deployment?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Evan - 4/7/2005 6:27 AM

That is great you told me how to get the headliner down, thats a great amount of information, but you never told me where the amp is located,, And when you say amp I assume it is the radio antenna Amp.How would this amp affect my keyless entry?? does it rely on the same amp to catch a signal? Also when removing the pillar trims, do I also need to disconnect battery power in order to prevent accidental airbag deployment?
I think I dropped a huge clue when I said that Benz removes the rear window. The rear amp comes in several flavours. In your case it is the type that does AM / FM / LOCKING / UNLOCKING and if you are in any other country OTHER than USA it can also do TV.

Let me shed some light on it by sending you this image. Station wagon is dead easy by the way. None of this roof lining nonsense.

Ok before you dismantle your interior .... the rear amp is worth $500 USD, the lining more and the rear glass about the same. Think twice if you never did it before. Me with an expert mechanic found it tough.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Incidentally "RCL" is the unlocking line that goes to the rear fuse box from the AMP.

The grid pattern in the glass is the antenna array and if that is damaged then the whole glass is useless.

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before I go elbow deep into this amp thing and replacing anything,, is there a fuse I can check for the amp???

Also, If I replaced my rear window, is teh AMP built into it?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Evan - 4/7/2005 9:47 AM

Before I go elbow deep into this amp thing and replacing anything,, is there a fuse I can check for the amp???

Also, If I replaced my rear window, is teh AMP built into it?
The amp [tv, radio, locking], phone, GPS is stuck on at specific locations which is why they take out the window and flip the outside face down so they can work on it more easily.

The plug number is 23 on the back of the rear SAM. Fuse 8 on the front = 7.5AMP

If it isnt under warranty check for any cracks or damage as it may be covered by insurance.

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse yesterday afternoon,, worked great,, even on the way to work this morning. I came out to go to lunch and the fuse blew again.. AHHH what the hell do I do??

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Evan - 4/8/2005 1:34 PM

I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse yesterday afternoon,, worked great,, even on the way to work this morning. I came out to go to lunch and the fuse blew again.. AHHH what the hell do I do??
Let me present one decent idea. DONT USE a bigger fuse.

You really know what the problem is now so its going to have to get fixed. Is there no warranty ?

·
Registered
03 c230 k
92 Posts
Trying to follow this post along the way and came up with question also. I recently had my rear window replaced (warranty) because of alot of static on radio in AM (sports radio fan here) this was done as last step after checking head unit and parts in the ceiling. After reading your post, what is the amp your talking about because i have noticed my keyless entry is hit or miss now seems to have a mind of its own.

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is an amplifier that amplifies the antenna signal for the radio and the keyless entry, its controlled by a 7.5 amp fuse in the left side of the trunk.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
vinny70 - 4/19/2005 11:17 PM

Trying to follow this post along the way and came up with question also. I recently had my rear window replaced (warranty) because of alot of static on radio in AM (sports radio fan here) this was done as last step after checking head unit and parts in the ceiling. After reading your post, what is the amp your talking about because i have noticed my keyless entry is hit or miss now seems to have a mind of its own.
If your rear glass is damaged for whatever reason or those thin lines get damaged in the glass then the reception or unlocking (RCL antenna) might go a bit funny. Unlike other panes of glass in the car - if your rear glass gets replaced then so does your phone, GPS and radio setup. Kind of expensive.

The amplifier is a stick-on piece of equipment. The glass is cleaned and the unit it just applied to the surface. One presumes that if the application was a bit hit and miss then the same will apply to the small sticky amplifier feet that make contact with the antenna wires. They have small pads where they meet.

I would make the point that the radio is not as good as it was and take the above photo of the rear glass to back up the story.

Otherwise if the glass is not damaged then claim warranty if still possible.

·
Registered
C220 CDI
2 Posts
glad I found this post - I believe I have same problem: loss of radio sound and radio keyless entry ( I just posted a thread tonight! )
So the Amplifier fuse is 7.5A and is in the fuse panel in the left side of the boot. Anyone know the fuse id #? I have a 2001 C220 CDI. Hope this fuse is the problem / fix.....

Thanks

·
Registered
04 C230 Kompressor
335 Posts
I just realised I have lost the use of my infrared signal to open & close the windows. All other key functions work fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts