Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY dropped my car for painting at a good painting shop.
the plan was to change the color from silver. into black ( 040 )
got new Euro headlights, and tail lights lenses.
new spoiler, trunk light, front air dam, side moldings, full body rubbers, grill star, front and rear Euro bumpers, and used original 15' rims.
hopefully tomorow they will be done removing the old paint, and i should give instructions to them, on what exactly i want with the car.
i will post pre, hopefully during, and post painting pictures.
any thing i should keep in mind while doing so??
anything i overlooked?? anything need to be checked before i go with the painting????
help from prevoius experiences would help greatly.
here are some pics of the car, on the same day i took it to the shop.
thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Have them replace all the body seals with new, genuine MB seals before they put it back together. It'll add to the cost of the paint job, but I guarantee you won't regret it. It added about $1800 to the cost of my paint job and I'm very glad I did it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
today i went to the shop to see the progress, and god i was shocked! :eek:
the car is back to metal. no seals, no chromes, no moldings. nothing...
it really hurt to see it treated like this :(
there was many accidents that were repaired using cheap fillings and materials.
now they removed all the fillings. and a machine will pull the dented body parts, after that comes the sandpaper work. untill the metal is smooth as a baby behind, then comes the paint. it will take time, and it will cost money. but in the end it should be worth it. they are really well equipped Pros, and they know what to do.
pics are coming up as soon as i get them from the camera.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and here im posting some pics on the actual work in process :D
however it may take several weeks. because of the dent repair machine. it takes alot of time. but the when its done. its worth the wait

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
YES! Save all the little screws. Especially the one near the lights. Start to get some for the Euro's from the dealer. There hard to replace and the lights won't sit right with close to original screws

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
windshield seal ( 107 779 00 22 ) comes as pair of 2, one for hard top, and one for soft top, am i right?
im having only one at the moment, and im ordering the other soon.
on some sites. it says 1 per car. and im confused.
maybe they are wrong.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,089 Posts
What is it with bodyshops? They are so focused on the exterior that they could give two shits about the interior. It's not the first time seeing that. Jeez.
Get them to cover it up before it is trashed.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,089 Posts
Note to self: When I get my car painted in the next few months, no matter how tempting it is, don't go by the shop and take pictures of the process.

It'd be just too painful to see my still-in-fine-shape Mrs. Peel in pieces all over the place.
Note to Hal: Go by the shop and make sure they cover the interior.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Some advice I learned many years ago, and I know it well, because it costs:

The dark side of getting your car repainted is that the better the paint job, the worse all of your old stuff will look.

I spent a lot of time and money on my car AFTER the new paint. A lot of the brightwork, chrome, stainless and rubber will look much older.

IMHO, a serious paint job would include removing the brightwork and cowls. The paint shop I used didn't do this, but I did it for them. It's hard to find a paint shop that wants to get involved with this now. On newer cars, it's all mask+paint.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and here are some more pics, really its heart ache to see the car that i used to wash myself, every weekend. preventing any from touching it. top be treated like this.
but i have to see it, because i will take back home all the used bumpers, headlights and tail lights.
after the old paint and the fillings are removed. the next step will be smothing out the metal and treating it so it would be resistant to rust, and will hold paints easier and better.
i will try me best to collect pics as much as i can.
as long as i got my heparin pils just before i enter the garage

polished and requires pulling of the dents, as well as smoothining
DSC00991.jpg
DSC00999.jpg
and here is the paint remover that did most of the magical work.
DSC01005.jpg
as you can see the paint will bubble, then will melt. uncovering some filling that was put there in the older days of this car. due to accidents.

DSC01004.jpg
DSC01006.jpg
DSC01007.jpg

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Wowee what a job! I had to use 4 gallons of adhesive remover to get the tile mastic off the floor in our bedroom, great stuff methyl alcohol and methylene chloride. It would go right through regular rubber gloves so you need to use neoprene glove. I'm sure it's weird to see you old paint job lying on the ground. Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
just came back from the paint shop, after taking back my old bumpers, and lights.
now they coated the car with an anti corrosive layer.
after that another polish, and another coating, and another polish.
untill its ready to go into the painting oven.
just gave instructions on how to fix the spoiler, and the trunk light.
but i got confused on the fog lights, they look little larger to me than what they should be.
any idea if the Uro-US foglights differ? or maybe models below 85, and after 85 differ?
or its just my eyes???:confused:
i cant find any other size for the foglights so far.
here are some updated pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Check your radiator... on the first few pics you have one heluva leak!
;)

Just a rough judgement, fog lamps look same as original ones. At least the shape (and visible details on your pics) look identical. I dobt Merc would make same car fog lamps but one for US spec enlarged.

Also, when you shift them appart (if you want to fit them same place for the original look), the perception you have may change a lot.

I'd measure the original gap between and size of lamps for you but my Merc is now somewhere over the Indian Ocean. ;)

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
Cough, Cough....Haaa.
How much are you paying for your repaint?
Just for our reference of you get what you pay for stats:cool:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts