Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E55 AMG
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back a few weeks, I was going to work enjoying my long way to work at 60 mph when I spot a large dump truck in the right lane with white clouds of smoke coming out of the back. So I go to pass this truck and just as I get up to it, it hits a bump and about 300 plus small white rocks fall to the ground and then start bouncing up about 7 feet it looked like rain as my E55 went through the middle at 50 mph. All I can say is it sounded like hale and felt like agony. So I think a moment and then freak out! I stop my car in front of the truck, get out and tell the driver to pull over. Of course he tells me to go #$%&^%$#@ myself and drives away. Short version of the story I had a police officer pull him over and now the insurance companies are making it right?

My AMG has been in the shop for three weeks now and they tell me their painter is one of the best in Miami. Mercedes of Miami body shop is doing the work. I hope he is the best? I looked at a lot of their finished cars and the paintwork does look very good. Also the manager walked me around the shop and showed me how they repair, paint and treat their customers cars and it looks like a first rate shop.

I was there today and here are two photos one before sanding (iPhone) and the second my cars paint being sanded and ready for primer (Nikon D70S). Ouch!

I did not want to repaint the car but there were over a hundred small chips that went all the way down to the factory primer. So this was a painful choice for me, but I will know next week if the paint looks as good as factory if not the wife can drive it, and I’ll drive my Cobra to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Oh Dawson!! I feel for you, but at least the work will hopefully be topnotch and you are documenting it. So what happened to the truck driver & insurance? What a bummer!

·
Registered
'01 E55 AMG
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Dawson!! I feel for you, but at least the work will hopefully be topnotch and you are documenting it. So what happened to the truck driver & insurance? What a bummer!
Hey Al, I have not been going to any of the car meets like I did before due to my wife and baby keep me away but I will try to make it out to show. When I get my car but. The truck driver works for Mastec and they are repairing my car through their insurance. I’m dropping off some new BS RE960AS tires for them to mount tomorrow so hopefully my car made the paint booth and will be ready for it’s final buffing. The guys at the shop are pretty cool and seem to keep me up to date on everything going on. It’s just that they have like 25 cars all at the same time to repair very busy shop. I hope the paintwork comes out nice otherwise I will have them do it all over again and rent me another car. I ran this through my insurance so I get everything fixed correctly. Hope to see you at one of the car events.

·
Registered
'01 E55 AMG
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So they painted my E55 last Friday and it was well worth the wait 5 weeks later here it is. I may get it back next week I hope. They sent the wheels out to get refinishing. The RE960AS will go on just in time for rain season our wonderful summer. Here are some shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01 E55 AMG
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, they pulled all my windows and some dust got in the car. Most of the inter. I pulled out before dropping the car at the shop.

My front spare is on due to my Toyo tire split down the side a few days before it went into the shop and the wear was only half or less so I will not be buying Toyo's anymore! I am trying out F1 brand Bridgestone tires this time around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts