Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
ML430
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After leaving college early, I go back to Raleigh. Thinking everything is "OK" with my car. Except for that weird shift during acceleration. I get to my highly trusted mechanic and i take him on a test drive to see what he thinks the problem could be. Well come to find that the people that installed the transmission were suppose to take it to a dealership to get the computer on the transmission calibrated or something of that sort.
Well, next we come to find that the people that installed the transmission did not put any transmission fluid in it!!!!!! And i drove it for about 4 hours on i40 back to Raleigh!!! Great.. So guys and gals that is how you start a bad morning!!!
(just to rant a little)

· Registered
2000 ML430
658 Posts
They did not put any transmission fluid in??? That blows!!! I would make them pay for a new tranny. How could they not put any fluid in??? Didn't they test drive the car before signing off on the work??

· Premium Member
ML430
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said that they test drove it. But who knows. I am really upset with that business, i am considering contacting the BBB, and filing a claim.

· Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,689 Posts
If the trans had no oil it would not even move!! Perhaps they just left it a bit low. BBB has absolutly no power over any business and can't do anything except rant and rave and write letters. Its really a powerless organization that makes money from the business' that join and pay membersip dues. Thats where poor people go when they feel they have a 25 cent problem from the local grocery store!! Perhaps you would have been better off to have the trans replaced at a dealership and not repaired/rebuilt at a no name shop. Guess you really did not save any $$. Good lesson though, in life you usually get what you pay for

· Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,032 Posts
sosh - 2/4/2005 12:30 PM

BBB has absolutly no power over any business and can't do anything except rant and rave and write letters.
That is exactly right.

In CA we have the BAR...Bureau of Automotive Repair.

They have the teeth. See if there is an equivalent in NC.

By the way, I just returned from a few days in RTP. The predicted freezing rain didn't happen, thankfully.

NC is a great place.

· Premium Member
ML430
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe your right about the little bit of tranny fluid. But when we put the dipstick in there nothing showed when we pulled it out. Also. "you get what you pay for" I paid $1100 just for the installation of that transmission. I got the transmission because it was under warranty.

· Premium Member
ML430
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Perhaps you would have been better off to have the trans replaced at a dealership and not repaired/rebuilt at a no name shop.
If i could have i would have man, I go to college in the worse place they could of put a college. Check it out WCU. There are no dealerships, and the place i got it worked on was supose to be the best place for mercedes/bmw's.

· Premium Member
05 500
6,636 Posts
ttaleric - 2/4/2005 1:58 PM

Perhaps you would have been better off to have the trans replaced at a dealership and not repaired/rebuilt at a no name shop.
If i could have i would have man, I go to college in the worse place they could of put a college. Check it out WCU. There are no dealerships, and the place i got it worked on was supose to be the best place for mercedes/bmw's.
Apparently your college education doesn't teach spelling or word check well enough - just busting you balls man. Listen, this is a simple case. if you have solid proof that they didn't put oil in it, then there's no case, they'll willingly pay for repairs, or even a new tranny depending on how you push them, but you have to have proof and thraten a legal case. Every college campus has a legal department. Talk to them first before you do anything else. You'll be surprised at how the power of an attorney works. And next time man, call mum and dad if you need a tranny change. Obviously, they are well to do if they let you have a ML for school duties!!!!

· Premium Member
ML430
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol darkman. Yeah srorry abotu tha speling. Anyway i was really low in tranny fluid. It was enough fluid to keep it from slipping out of gear. But it was taken care of. And the company that is near my college is going to pay for it.

· Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
186 Posts
Cullowee doesn't have an MB dealer???[;)] Asheville does. Might be worth the road trip next time.

· Premium Member
ML430
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the MB messed up the first time it wouldnt make it anywhere. I couldnt get it to get in gear to save my life. But its fixed, after 1100$ its fixed, 1100 just for labor. i got the tranny for free. But its fixed im happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.