Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C220 & 2000 ML430 & 1997 E320
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys last night i put my key in the key hole the driver door handle and as i turned it, it snapped in half. i pulled it out and the other half was in the door and a little stub of the what was the key is left. this was my only key for the truck!! i can't do anything!!! what do i do!!!! seriously i need some serious help!!! please tell me what to do!:(:(

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,925 Posts
Things are not really that bad. What you need is a door lock cylinder and a couple of keys. These items can only be purchased at the dealer and the lock will already be coded for you, so the only thing left would be to install it.

As of Nov. 2008, ALL LOCKS, KEYS AND MANY OTHER ITEMS have been designated as Theft Relevant Parts, which requires the owner requesting same to produce identifcation, along with proof of ownership. There will be no choice in the matter and you will have to adhere to their policies.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im stressing out right now.... the other half of the key is still in my door lock. should i try to take it out and bring my key to my local lock smith tomorrow and see if they can cut me someting?? im clueless

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,137 Posts
Why were you unlocking the door via the doorlock? Is your remote bad?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,925 Posts
im stressing out right now.... the other half of the key is still in my door lock. should i try to take it out and bring my key to my local lock smith tomorrow and see if they can cut me someting?? im clueless
I can understand being stressed, but that stress has been exacerbated by the fact that you have been operating with only one key. With their new policy, the truck will have to be at the dealer in order for them to code it into the computer.

As for the locksmith, there is no possible way that a locksmith would have key blanks, let alone a very expensive key cutting machine.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
You can order just a key blade. From MB dealer of course. Locksmith should not have problem removing broken piece from door lock cylinder.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,925 Posts
Witek is absolutely correct about the key blank, I completely forgot about it being available separately. But you will still have to present yourself at a M/B dealer in order to purchase it and a spare brand new key assembly. The ordering process will take approx 3 days.

Then after you start the truck with the new key blank, you will have to return to the dealership in order for them to code the new key assembly.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
I am talking about just a replacement key blade cut to code. It is held to remote with roll pin. No need to code anything. DAS chip is in the base of remote.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i might be able to use my current remote just have them take out the blade and put a new one in??

the reason for using the key to open the door is because my key pad dosent work to unlock doors.

i see keys on ebay for like 100. are those anythin??

and if i go down to my dealer does my ML430 gotta be there or just my ID and Title(proof of ownership)?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
going down to the dealer now. wish me luck!!!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,925 Posts
I am talking about just a replacement key blade cut to code. It is held to remote with roll pin. No need to code anything. DAS chip is in the base of remote.
That is understood. What I was talking about is the new spare key he never had, and should get, to save future problems.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
I cannot imagine having only one key for my vehicles, especially the ML's. I have had to use the spare key at least 3 times just for my 98ML. Without the spare Key, like you, I would have been screwed. Each of my ML's have 4 keys. Two full remote keys, one Valet key hidden well inside the vehicle, and one key blank hidden outside the vehicle incase I get locked out. The outside key blank will open the door but will not start the vehicle, but the Valet key will. This comes from many years of dumb experience with keys. Two instances alone were with dead batteries in my 98ML causing loss of DAS sync with the key. It took us early ML owners several years to figure out the bad-key syndrome.

NOTE: Yes you can get extra Key inserts cut by Mercedes without having to buy the complete remote and yes you can get a Valet key for the 2005 and older ML's like the ones that came standard with the 1998 ML's.

If you don't want to spend the money to get a second remote key I would highly recommend you at least get a Valet Key for about 1/3 the price.
Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just got back from dealer...they said i have to have my ML towed down to the dealer which is 45mins away.:mad: how can the tow the truck if i aint got a key to put it in neutral!? this is gonna cost a arm and a leg..im only 17 where am i gonna get that kind of money!! this sucks! hope fully i can use some one in my familys AAA so it wont be as much to tow it down there...shoot me now...thanks:surrender:

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
just got back from dealer...they said i have to have my ML towed down to the dealer which is 45mins away.:mad: how can the tow the truck if i aint got a key to put it in neutral!? this is gonna cost a arm and a leg..im only 17 where am i gonna get that kind of money!! this sucks! hope fully i can use some one in my familys AAA so it wont be as much to tow it down there...shoot me now...thanks:surrender:
Go to parts department with proof of ownership, ID and DNA sample and ask them to order 210 766 01 06 replacement blade for remote. It's $5.25 MSRP.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go to parts department with proof of ownership, ID and DNA sample and ask them to order 211 766 01 06 replacement blade for remote. It's $5.25 MSRP.
what do i do after i got that blade??

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Chin up....it's all a matter of perspective...

I empathise Benzsittingon22's but I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out in the end.

Look at it this way......imagine if, like ME, you lived all the way out here in West Africa and then this happened!:eek:

Imagine the 'towing bill' from West Africa to the dealer!:crybaby2:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts