Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I won't have time to write a full update of the coupe progress of the past few days until early this week. I will say, though, that Karl was a big help sitting in the car and operating the controls while I did diagnosis underneath. Unfortunately Karl gets bored easily so he tends to futz around with anything that's handy. This time he was fascinated by the power windows so while I was under the car the windows were getting a workout. Once I lowered the car I could see that the right rear window was down. Uh, Karl, what are you doing? Oh dad, that window stopped working. Great... Thanks a bunch kid.

I can hear the motor run both up and down but the glass isn't attached to the regulator anymore (or so it seems). I can pull the glass up until the top edge is about 5" from the weatherstrip and then it just stops. It doesn't bind; it just plain stops. Can't see much in there with a flashlight and I'm stumped.

I'm new to coupes and have no idea what is going on in there. I have no idea how to access that window regulator. How ugly is this going to be?

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,298 Posts
I won't have time to write a full update of the coupe progress of the past few days until early this week. I will say, though, that Karl was a big help sitting in the car and operating the controls while I did diagnosis underneath. Unfortunately Karl gets bored easily so he tends to futz around with anything that's handy. This time he was fascinated by the power windows so while I was under the car the windows were getting a workout. Once I lowered the car I could see that the right rear window was down. Uh, Karl, what are you doing? Oh dad, that window stopped working. Great... Thanks a bunch kid.

I can hear the motor run both up and down but the glass isn't attached to the regulator anymore (or so it seems). I can pull the glass up until the top edge is about 5" from the weatherstrip and then it just stops. It doesn't bind; it just plain stops. Can't see much in there with a flashlight and I'm stumped.

I'm new to coupes and have no idea what is going on in there. I have no idea how to access that window regulator. How ugly is this going to be?
It sounds like those little clip things that hold the track to the reg....IIRC they are some kind of plastic/composite/metal thing. Maybe they are different for coupes....dunno. Been a long time since I fought those door demons.

Karl sounds like a hoot....I'm in the same boat except with a four yr old.....when he gets old enough, he'll be my primary helper/car stooge. If he's like his dad was, there will be many stories to come. Karl may get bored easily (which actually shows some intelligence), but that's at least half the battle. If they are sullen and fight you every inch of the way, that's a problem that probably won't go away.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well once again it's been a long, long time since I posted about this project. I quit working at the shop back in June (I worked there from June of 2014 to June of 2019) and took the summer off to do stuff with my wife and kids and that was fun. A couple of camping trips along with numerous house and car projects. Got the 36 Dodge engine running. After a lot of prep work it started on the first crank. After almost 40 years.
When i left the shop I had to move the CE and I took it to a friend's house where it sat all summer. I did swing by a few times to hook up the battery and run it for half an hour or so. It was under trees so it stayed damp and I got some mold/mildew in the interior. That was a drag.
In early January of this year the friend requested that I move the car so I did. Had it roll-backed to my house and Karl and I picked away at various cleaning tasks. I still have not been able to break loose the oil filter cap and I've been fairly brutal. It really feels like I'm about to snap off the whole oil filter housing if I apply more force. I'll delay that joy for another time and will probably just change the oil for now.
The big news is that I've been working part time at a few different local shops doing electrical and driveability diagnosis jobs. One shop owner was so happy with my results that he gave me the go ahead to bring the coupe to his shop and pull the transmission for rebuilding.
I drove the car there earlier this evening. I think it has first gear remaining but the shop is less than a mile away so that wasn't a problem.
It's parked outside tonight and I'll pull the transmission tomorrow. Finally some real progress on the transmission issue. Once that is handled and the brake rotors are replaced the car will be driveable. Than all sorts of annoying gremlins will be unleashed with a vengeance. Of this I have no doubt.
Here she is waiting outside the shop for tomorrow's operation.
BTW that's the Philadelphia city skyline in the background.
DSC_0368.JPG

·
Registered
1988 300CE
43 Posts
Don't know if you got your rear window fixed or not, but I had that same issue with my CE. It turned out to be a broken nylon slider that should run through the window track. The back windows are a bit different than those on the sedans in that they have to move up, then forward, and up some more. I was unable to find replacement sliders, but found a great condition complete frame and track assembly (less glass) for a reasonable price on ebay. Not so easy to replace, but got it done.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,924 Posts
Haha, "Than all sorts of annoying gremlins will be unleashed with a vengeance. Of this I have no doubt."
Glad to see things moving, hope in this case you are wrong! Good luck Pete.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
Well once again it's been a long, long time since I posted about this project. I quit working at the shop back in June (I worked there from June of 2014 to June of 2019) and took the summer off to do stuff with my wife and kids and that was fun. A couple of camping trips along with numerous house and car projects. Got the 36 Dodge engine running. After a lot of prep work it started on the first crank. After almost 40 years.
When i left the shop I had to move the CE and I took it to a friend's house where it sat all summer. I did swing by a few times to hook up the battery and run it for half an hour or so. It was under trees so it stayed damp and I got some mold/mildew in the interior. That was a drag.
In early January of this year the friend requested that I move the car so I did. Had it roll-backed to my house and Karl and I picked away at various cleaning tasks. I still have not been able to break loose the oil filter cap and I've been fairly brutal. It really feels like I'm about to snap off the whole oil filter housing if I apply more force. I'll delay that joy for another time and will probably just change the oil for now.
The big news is that I've been working part time at a few different local shops doing electrical and driveability diagnosis jobs. One shop owner was so happy with my results that he gave me the go ahead to bring the coupe to his shop and pull the transmission for rebuilding.
I drove the car there earlier this evening. I think it has first gear remaining but the shop is less than a mile away so that wasn't a problem.
It's parked outside tonight and I'll pull the transmission tomorrow. Finally some real progress on the transmission issue. Once that is handled and the brake rotors are replaced the car will be driveable. Than all sorts of annoying gremlins will be unleashed with a vengeance. Of this I have no doubt.
Here she is waiting outside the shop for tomorrow's operation.
BTW that's the Philadelphia city skyline in the background. View attachment 2620498
I remember Too Kool Karl....how old is he now? Is he 'drafted' or does he like working on cars with you?

I had/have Dodge military vehicles.....I bet you have essentially the same engine in your '36 Dodge. Straight six about 230 cubes, flat head with side covers that come off to adjust the valves....right under the exhaust manifold....lol.

Best of luck on the tranny!

Kevin

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
The CE looks great. I noticed mention at the beginning of the thread of a delaminated rear window. Honestly it would have been more surprising had it NOT started delaminating.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the interest in this snail's pace project. I did pull the transmission today and it was fairly uneventful. I've done it a few times in sedans and wagons with the M103 and I always dropped the whole exhaust system first. On this coupe it looked like that wasn't necessary so I didn't do it. Only problem was the drive shaft loop just ahead of the differential because one of the retaining nuts was directly above the muffler. I got a bit reckless and bent down the strap because that 24mm nut was tight and I just couldn't bust it loose.
I drained and dropped the pan and it was nasty. I still smell like burned transmission fluid. No chunks in there but a thick layer of friction material.
As usual the topmost bolt and bracket for the bellhousing were missing. I don't think any trans shop goes to the trouble of installing those since they're such a bee-otch to access.
I did discover that the trans in this car is not original to the car and that was a disappointment. I intended to pay a bit more and have the original trans rebuilt but but some careful scraping of the silver paint over the VIN sticker revealed numbers that didn't match the VIN on my car. Bummer.
Speaking of paying a little more, I had some price sheets from a place in north Jersey that quoted about $1350 for a complete overhaul with new rebuilt converter. With the trans out and on the floor I call the place and talked with the owner. We agreed on my getting an exchange unit on Tuesday because there was no point in getting my cooked and non-original transmission rebuilt. No problem. I asked about the price and was shocked to hear that the current price is $1875. What? What about the flyer I was holding in my hand? Oh that's an old flyer, probably 2 or 3 years old. Well $500 more doesn't work for me but I gave the go ahead anyway. Tomorrow morning I'l start making calls and I'm pretty sure that I'll be calling the place in north Jersey to cancel that order.
I have a solid lead already and should know what's up by 10 AM. $1875 and i pull/install? Nope. Plus when I asked the shop owner about which parts I need to remove from my transmission for reuse on the rebuilt one he poo-pooed the whole cold start delayed upshift plumbing/solenoid setup. Oh, you don't need that... So the rebuilt unit may very well be in a case that's not drilled/tapped/etc. for that stuff. I'm not comfortable with that.
I'll post a pic or two tomorrow but it's just a fairly clean, silver-painted 722.3 box with a maroonish looking converter. At least it's out and I can move forward.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
465 Posts
Your coupe looks very nice in the pic. I just finished reading your thread. I'll be following your future updates.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A few more things... I haven't addressed the inop quarter window yet. I about strangled my son for futzing with it and, in order to get the glass up I had to disassemble the quarter trim area. What a bitch. There's like 10 layers to remove before you get to the glass. i didn't need that hassle at the time.
Karl is now 13, he's like 5'8 150 pounds and wears size 12 shoes. He loves all things mechanical and wrenching so we're good there. He really wants to work on stuff and he's a fantastic helper. I give it two years maybe and he'll be the one strangling me.
The flex discs on this car are likely originals. The front one is coming apart so maybe, just maybe, I should address that now. Looks like the oil pressure sender is seeping too. Should I replace that now or wait until the transmission is reinstalled? Hmmmm.
With the car on the hoist for the transmission work I'll replace brake rotors/pads front and rear so I'm ready to roll as soon as the car is back on the ground. Then I can worry about inop quarter windows, etc.
Front coil springs are pretty severely bowed so I can add that to the list. I'm sure that the list will grow, and grow, and grow but this car was headed for parts car status and it was once so pretty that i couldn't let that happen.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Your coupe looks very nice in the pic. I just finished reading your thread. I'll be following your future updates.
Thanks it's a lovely, lovely color combo and has only about 113k miles but it has suffered some neglect and misfortune. In all honesty it it hadn't been such a nice color combo I probably wouldn't have taken on the project. You can't see how sunburned the clearcoat is when the paint is wet. If only the car looked as good dry as wet. Ironically it did look this good when I first spotted it but 7? years of being parked outside really whacked it hard. I took a pic a few weeks ago but now I can't find it. Crap.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just found the pic.
DSC_0338.JPG

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
465 Posts
It looks even better in this pic. Yes, now would be the perfect time to replace the flex disc. How are the engine mounts?

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
A few more things... I haven't addressed the inop quarter window yet. I about strangled my son for futzing with it and, in order to get the glass up I had to disassemble the quarter trim area. What a bitch. There's like 10 layers to remove before you get to the glass. i didn't need that hassle at the time.
Karl is now 13, he's like 5'8 150 pounds and wears size 12 shoes. He loves all things mechanical and wrenching so we're good there. He really wants to work on stuff and he's a fantastic helper. I give it two years maybe and he'll be the one strangling me.
The flex discs on this car are likely originals. The front one is coming apart so maybe, just maybe, I should address that now. Looks like the oil pressure sender is seeping too. Should I replace that now or wait until the transmission is reinstalled? Hmmmm.
With the car on the hoist for the transmission work I'll replace brake rotors/pads front and rear so I'm ready to roll as soon as the car is back on the ground. Then I can worry about inop quarter windows, etc.
Front coil springs are pretty severely bowed so I can add that to the list. I'm sure that the list will grow, and grow, and grow but this car was headed for parts car status and it was once so pretty that i couldn't let that happen.
Karl sounds like he's gonna be a decent sized kid. Nurse his interest along in mechanical stuff....it will pay big dividends someday.

Good lookin' car. I completely understand about paint fade. My Ice Blue Metalic is now an interesting shade of green.

Kevin

21 - 34 of 34 Posts