Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All future posts regarding progress on my 1991 C124 project will be added to this thread.

Today (Monday) is my day off but I went to the shop anyway and spent most of the day there getting to know my latest project. There were no nasty surprises but this thing needs a lot of attention.

The first thing I did was to remove teh MAS module and install a charged battery. Then I operated the central locking and all the windows. No problems! Can anyone confirm that the rear windows don't go all the way down?

I cleaned out the trunk and I have to say that it's pretty luxurious. Palomino/java carpeting everywhere and it was really clean. I can easily make it look like new. Quite the upgrade from the plastic panels in my 88 sedans or even the gray material in my 91 sedan.

Then I moved to interior, giving the seats an operational check. The driver's side passed with flying colors. The passenger side not so much. Looks like I need a new switch or I need to clean the old one. Probably the latter. Oh, the belt presenters work! Unbelievable.

I removed the passenger side rear seat cushion and unplugged the fuel pump connector. Then I disconnected the fuel supply line under the hood, attached a 5 or 6 foot long rubber hose to the fuel line, put the hose in a 5 gallon bucket, and hotwired the fuel pumps and the rear seat connector. The pumps ran and sounded okay but virtually nothing came out of the underhood hose. And what did come out looked/smelled nasty. There's something about old fuel... MAn does it stink!

I added a couple of gallons of fresh gas to the tank but the fuel pumping situation didn't improve. I guess I'll have to raise the car and, at a minimum, replace the fuel filter before I get decent flow.

After that disappointment I vacuumed the interior discovering multiple broken seat trim pieces, mostly under the seats.

The dash, door panels and carpeting look great but the console wood trim is junk. Five years outside unused really did a number on the wood. Disappointing but it can wait.

I cleaned out the trunk opening channels and, of course, found the trunk lid bumpers to be junk. More concerning is some delamination of the rear window glass at the left edge. Oh well.

I cleaned the glass and that made the car look a *whole* lot better. Looks like the windshield has been replaced already.

The wheels look quite good for 100k + miles so that's good.

Just a couple of odd bits under the hood broken like the small hose support bracket that clips to the radiator support. Common issue in my experience.

I used great restraint and never tried to crank the engine. Once I see good clean fuel flow at the fuel distributor I'll try cranking but not before.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 E320 4M Wagon, 90 560SEC, 14 VW Sportwagen TDI
1,067 Posts
The rear windows don't go all the way down, Just the way it is designed.
Congratulations on the Car. CE's are nice. Good luck with it !

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,682 Posts
It's going to look nice Pete..Hell, looks pretty good for sitting for such a long time. This will turned out to be one of your better scores!👍

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,298 Posts
Pete, you're gonna want to get a nice CLEAN flow from the pumps before sending that fuel to the FD. You should probably, because of the time inactive, replace the tank filter screen too, or clean it once out if possible. If you could get a fiber optic camera....I'd sure scope inside the tank...you don't wanna start with bad rust places.

Those lower seat trim pieces take a real beating. I have a piece I've never figured out where it goes and the ex just gave me a long plastic piece she said came outa there somewhere...lol. Passengers are just brutal with those trim pieces, as they're easy to kick and dislodge. Plus, if anything is blocking the seat movement backward or FWD, it will rip off those trim pieces.

Everyone talks about rebuilding those seat switches. But at some point like in my '92 they are sealed and un-serviceable unless you literally break the little individual modules to access them. Answer; JY part from a desert or semi-arid climate and you're good to go indefinitely.

Kevin

·
W124 Moderator
12,682 Posts
The front window switches are auto-down versions. I have several if needed. I also have a correct FD if need be.

·
Registered
1990 300CE M104
54 Posts
Congrats! You've got my twin, only a year newer!

The front window switches are auto-down versions. I have several if needed. I also have a correct FD if need be.
Can the auto-down versions be swapped to say, a '90 that doesn't have it? Inquiring minds want to know :smile

·
W124 Moderator
12,682 Posts
Juan

My 90 CE had auto down front windows. The switch is dumb, all signals come from the comfort/convenience module so installing the switch wouldn't do anything and IIRC the pins are slightly different.

Let's keep this thread focused on Augapfel's new project and it's progress towards salvation. PM me with any other questions or post up a new thread.

Jayare

·
Registered
1990 300CE M104
54 Posts
Juan

My 90 CE had auto down front windows. The switch is dumb, all signals come from the comfort/convenience module so installing the switch wouldn't do anything and IIRC the pins are slightly different.

Let's keep this thread focused on Augapfel's new project and it's progress towards salvation. PM me with any other questions or post up a new thread.

Jayare
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been almost a month but yesterday I spent some time with my 91 coupe.

Had some coworkers help me push it into my service bay when my assigned jobs for the day were completed.

Once lifted I was relieved to see absolutely no bad surprises underneath. Just about everything I saw was good news. Some examples:

front and rear brake pads must have been replaced just before the transmission quit. pads appear to be almost half an inch thick.
the exhaust system is the original, all-welded, one piece unit from tail pipes to cat outlet and seems to be solid. yay
no signs of grounding or reefing of the underbody. everything looks really good

Some things will have to be addressed once the engine is running and the transmission is evaluated:

the rotors, of course, are junk, and will have to be replaced
the diff shows signs of long term leakage so I guess I'll have to drop that, reseal the cover, and probably do hanger bushings at the same time
front flex disc starting to look scary. not a surprise
it appears that the trans was previously removed from the car since it has silver paint on the bellhousing

Some observations about this coupe, possibly all 91 coupes:

wear sensors on both the inner and outer pads at the front and rear brakes. really?
the car has ASR so that means individual left and right rear wheel speed sensors
front brakes have 4-piston calipers but our parts house shows that the front rotors are the same as those on sedans and wagons. true?
front LCAs have non-replaceable lower balljoints. even though I've replaced the BJs on my 91 sedan. I guess coupe LCAs are different

I drained what gas remained in the tank by disconnecting the fuel pump feed hose. The stuff that came out looked and smelled bad. Very bad. I also removed the fuel filter which seemed to be the original so I guess the PO didn't take his car back to the dealer for scheduled maintenance. Anyway, with the tank drained (of maybe 3 gallons of "fuel") I lowered the car, removed the trunk trim panel, and then the fuel level sender. Major bummer inside... That tank is a rusty mess inside and there's no way I can use it. At least it wouldn't make sense to roll the dice. Tank comes out this afternoon and this evening I'll post some accumulated pics.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
I had a feeling your tank would be rusty shite inside...all those yrs and the climate conducive to rust. I wouldn't gamble on it. Some swear by those treatment processes...I'd be looking for an JY Arizona tank or somewhere similar. Bummer on the LCA's. That's about the ONLY thing that shines mechanically on the 4Matic...the lower ball joints replace out in about 15 minutes...lol.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not gonna be any pics tonight, folks. I'm beat.

Getting the old tank out was a real PITA due to the stuck fuel outlet fitting. That sucker is in a nasty, nasty location and I didn't have the appropriate tool for busting it loose. I thought an oxygen sensor socket would do the trick but found out that you can't slide the socket up the hose far enough.

I tried for awhile to wrestle the tank out with the outlet hose attached but nope. The lower corner of the tank nearest the filler pipe has to come rearward to get the tank out. So back up on the hoist went the car and I struggled to find a 22mm wrench that would do the trick. All the while there's *foul* smelling old gas run down my arm. Yuck.

Eventually the fitting did break loose and then it was a simple matter to remove the tank. Which, of course, did allow more foul smelling gas to spill into the trunk compartment. Fortunately I had already removed the sides and bottom carpet panels.

Now it's time to check my parts ufiche and see if a sedan tank is the same p/n.

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
930 Posts
Augapfel, if you find it will fit, I have a fuel tank from a 1995 E320 sedan. If yes, I'll peek inside it, check for rust. It's free if you pickup.

·
W124 Moderator
12,682 Posts
It has been my understanding that the sedan and coupe share the same tank. Capacity is the same. I have a new in the box fuel level sender unit if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to both of you for your offers. I need to find my MBZ parts ufiche before I do anything! Can't remember moving it so I'm kind of perplexed at the moment. It'll show up, though.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've done virtually nothing to the coupe since early December except look at it. And I have to say that, while working on other people's cars, all i have to do is look out my service bay windows, see the coupe sitting outside, and think "wow, that's a great looking car!" I look forward to hearing it run soon.

I was around my private junkyard around Christmas and grabbed the loose fuel tank I knew I had. IIRC this came out of a 91 sedan. I know I pulled the tank from a 91 sedan for the signal red 1988 260E repairs but I may have used a tank from another 88 for that job.

Anyway, I did find the tank and pull the strainer and the fuel level sender. It looks pretty good inside. Not spectacular, but good enough to use without expecting problems. Some light oxidation and white flakes but they will probably flush out.

I put the coupe tank next to the donor tank and they sure do look identical. I think I'm ready to go in the tank department. But Hanno, if you're listening, pull the fuel level sender and take a look inside the tank you have. If it's squeaky clean inside I'll make the trip south to grab it for use now or later. LMK

I pulled the strainer from the coupe's old tank. Ugh, see the pic. No wonder I got no fuel flow after adding only 2 or 3 gallons to the tank. The level never exceeded the coating of varnish!

Progress will be slow on this project but I am anxious to get the engien running and see if the car moves at all.

Happy New Year to all!

Attachments

·
Registered
92 300CE/1996 mustang cobra (supercharged)/12 Civic/15 F150/04 F150 mud truck
8,105 Posts
stay at it, dont give up

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So.....

It's been a while. Lots of stuff going on in my life (elderly parents aging issues) and messing around with the C124 was at (or near) the bottom of the list. But today...

Actually yesterday. I finally reconnected with Hanno earlier this week and picked up the 95 124 tank he had laying around. My wife and I were delivering our kids to a summer camp on the Chesapeake and drove right by Hanno's house. So it was an easy decision to make a quick stop and pick up the tank. Thanks again Hanno!

With the new tank in hand I was inspired to take another crack at my C124 and, wonder of wonders, the shop I work at was closed all week for vacation so I had the shop to myself. This morning my son (Karl, now 11.5 and a natural mechanic) and I went to the shop and pushed the C124 inside. It was a simple matter to install Hanno's "new" tank. Boy it looked great inside that tank. After that we connected all the pipes and hoses, make a quick trip to the local Citgo for 6 gallons of 93 octane, and added the fresh fuel to the tank.

I had already disconnected the fuel line under the hood long ago so I had junior behind the wheel and operating switches while I stood there with a hose waiting to purge old fuel from teh system. What? No joy. Time after time he cycled the key but no foul smelling liquid erupted. Back under the car I went and hotwired the pumps. Nothing but an arc. Both of those MFers were locked up tighter than a nun's, well, you know. Fortunately I had on hand the whole fuel pump assembly from another 124. Couldn't tell you which one but there it was. Could've been from one of my parts cars or could've been a junkyard pull. I was reluctant to swap in used pumps of unknown age/mileage but upon starting disassembly I made a happy discovery: these were nearly new pumps! Yes, some poor SOB had paid a shop to replace both pumps at an undoubtedly exorbitant cost and I got them for next to nothing. Perfect. Well I swapped in both those pumps (I had already installed a new filter) and had Karl again in the driver's seat. With a couple of key twists some foul smelling dark beer shot into the drain pan. When the stream cleared up I connected the fuel line to the distributor and had Karl try again. Joy, oh, joy that DOHC engine sprang to life and sounded great. But wait, what's that smell? I look under the car to see fuel spraying all over the place. Holy shite, shut that MFer down Karl! And he did.

It seems that the fuel hose between the filter outlet and the body hard line had become a sprinkler system! I counted 5 waterpistol streams of 93 octane spraying up, down, and sideways, making a mess of the undercarriage and the shop floor. Time to put out the Newport. I wouldn't normally do this but Ireally wanted to hear that engine run and reach operating temp so I made a "temporary" repair. I removed the fuel hose assy, cut the crimp bands, and replaced teh high pressure hose with whatever we had on had in the shop. No more sprinkler system.

Oops, gotta go. More later.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
So.....

It's been a while. Lots of stuff going on in my life (elderly parents aging issues) and messing around with the C124 was at (or near) the bottom of the list. But today...

Actually yesterday. I finally reconnected with Hanno earlier this week and picked up the 95 124 tank he had laying around. My wife and I were delivering our kids to a summer camp on the Chesapeake and drove right by Hanno's house. So it was an easy decision to make a quick stop and pick up the tank. Thanks again Hanno!

With the new tank in hand I was inspired to take another crack at my C124 and, wonder of wonders, the shop I work at was closed all week for vacation so I had the shop to myself. This morning my son (Karl, now 11.5 and a natural mechanic) and I went to the shop and pushed the C124 inside. It was a simple matter to install Hanno's "new" tank. Boy it looked great inside that tank. After that we connected all the pipes and hoses, make a quick trip to the local Citgo for 6 gallons of 93 octane, and added the fresh fuel to the tank.

I had already disconnected the fuel line under the hood long ago so I had junior behind the wheel and operating switches while I stood there with a hose waiting to purge old fuel from teh system. What? No joy. Time after time he cycled the key but no foul smelling liquid erupted. Back under the car I went and hotwired the pumps. Nothing but an arc. Both of those MFers were locked up tighter than a nun's, well, you know. Fortunately I had on hand the whole fuel pump assembly from another 124. Couldn't tell you which one but there it was. Could've been from one of my parts cars or could've been a junkyard pull. I was reluctant to swap in used pumps of unknown age/mileage but upon starting disassembly I made a happy discovery: these were nearly new pumps! Yes, some poor SOB had paid a shop to replace both pumps at an undoubtedly exorbitant cost and I got them for next to nothing. Perfect. Well I swapped in both those pumps (I had already installed a new filter) and had Karl again in the driver's seat. With a couple of key twists some foul smelling dark beer shot into the drain pan. When the stream cleared up I connected the fuel line to the distributor and had Karl try again. Joy, oh, joy that DOHC engine sprang to life and sounded great. But wait, what's that smell? I look under the car to see fuel spraying all over the place. Holy shite, shut that MFer down Karl! And he did.

It seems that the fuel hose between the filter outlet and the body hard line had become a sprinkler system! I counted 5 waterpistol streams of 93 octane spraying up, down, and sideways, making a mess of the undercarriage and the shop floor. Time to put out the Newport. I wouldn't normally do this but Ireally wanted to hear that engine run and reach operating temp so I made a "temporary" repair. I removed the fuel hose assy, cut the crimp bands, and replaced teh high pressure hose with whatever we had on had in the shop. No more sprinkler system.

Oops, gotta go. More later.
Lol.....I feel your pain, Brother......glad to hear from you again. I had a fateful trip back from Spokane with a leaking fuel system....I started a thread about it. Resplendent with a fire under the car from backfiring, limiting my speed to about 40mph. Temp and oil pressure was OK, or I wouldn't have kept going. But....my HG has let go since then so I'm thinking the backfiring most likely contributed to that.

I too could take my hose (the TE hose that runs from the first pump all the FWD to the second pump) and squeeze gas out of it when the motor was off. I had some warning signs but mistakenly thought I could make just one more trip. First fuel pump wasn't even hooked up electrically; the connections were corroded away.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol.....I feel your pain, Brother......glad to hear from you again. I had a fateful trip back from Spokane with a leaking fuel system....I started a thread about it. Resplendent with a fire under the car from backfiring, limiting my speed to about 40mph. Temp and oil pressure was OK, or I wouldn't have kept going. But....my HG has let go since then so I'm thinking the backfiring most likely contributed to that.

I too could take my hose (the TE hose that runs from the first pump all the FWD to the second pump) and squeeze gas out of it when the motor was off. I had some warning signs but mistakenly thought I could make just one more trip. First fuel pump wasn't even hooked up electrically; the connections were corroded away.

Kevin
When my 91 TE 4MATIC was setting in my parents house yard a few years ago I would start and drive it regularly. One day I start it and smell gas. Look under it and fuel is shooting to the ground. Oy. I squeezed under it to find that a rodent had chewed through that long, first-to-second pump hose that you speak of. Little bastard. Fair amount of aggravation and $ to replace that hose.

I have seen the pump wiring connections corrode to nothing many times. The rubber boots over the terminals crack, let water in, and the process begins. On the donor pump setup I used yesterday I discovered that the small (+) terminal on the lower pump had a spark plug screw-on tip as the nut. Very resourceful.

I need to make major progress on this coupe. I can't let it sit around deteriorating any more than it already has (courtesy of the PO). Too much of a shame for what was once a beautiful car.

·
Premium Member
10,298 Posts
When my 91 TE 4MATIC was setting in my parents house yard a few years ago I would start and drive it regularly. One day I start it and smell gas. Look under it and fuel is shooting to the ground. Oy. I squeezed under it to find that a rodent had chewed through that long, first-to-second pump hose that you speak of. Little bastard. Fair amount of aggravation and $ to replace that hose.

I have seen the pump wiring connections corrode to nothing many times. The rubber boots over the terminals crack, let water in, and the process begins. On the donor pump setup I used yesterday I discovered that the small (+) terminal on the lower pump had a spark plug screw-on tip as the nut. Very resourceful.

I need to make major progress on this coupe. I can't let it sit around deteriorating any more than it already has (courtesy of the PO). Too much of a shame for what was once a beautiful car.
I bought the hose/parts through pelican....expecting aftermarket and they were German....very pleased with that purchase. Having another TE of the exact yr and 4Matic is really saving my butt. Just noticed play in the right rear wheel bearing....did that job on my old TE not that long ago, so the whole carrier hub will be the donor. Same with the HG.....gonna use my old TE's head to save a machine shop trip....was done about 30,000 miles ago and so it goes. Pretty soon at this rate I'm just gonna have a carcass left...lol. The reamn TC from my old TE will be next for a $$$ part. This new car has a reman too and leaking hydraulic oil into the TC.

I tossed that rear rubber boot for the fuel pump....just coated everything in black auto silicone...that should be tough. The boot just traps moisture in there when they get old....maybe they even do when new. I would never have thought that small terminal would take a spark plug resister thread....wild! I figured out the metric thread and bought new. Wasn't a noticeable change in fuel delivery so I'm guessing the pump's most likely on its way out....test another day.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 34 Posts