Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Brabus VI reps, and am VERY happy with the staggered rear wider lip.!
After much debate, and as my family always come first, I decided on 18" x 8.5 front and 18" x 9.5 rear to give a little more of a cushioned ride. Now I know a lot of people our there are saying..." should have gone for the 19" but those of you who may have two young kids, you'll know what im getting at for the ride comfort in the back for them !

So the car will now need to be dropped to get it looking flush and pretty with the wheel arches etc! Im gonna buy a coil remover, the type that inserts in the inside of the spring to enable me to easily remove the spring and put lower pads on.
As the factory pads are #5 on the front and #4 on the rear, I was gonna change them for #1 on the front and #1 on the rear, which should bring the the car down by about 12mm I think, being a bit lower at the front then before which is the look I want. (Each pad I think is 3mm lower each time, eg. #1 pad = 9mm, #2 pad = 12mm ...etc)

I will post pics after I change the pads to get your valued feedback, in the meantime, could you comment on my new wheels ar present with factory car ride height? May thanks guys. 'A1EK'

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeahhhhh man!!

Car looks great!
Glad to see you keep your shit clean too!
Very nice to look at. Like the number plate too man - that explains your username!! haha

Your car's ride height looks like mine did after I had my 19's put on.

Nice set of lowering springs (and perhaps shock, although not entirely necessary) and your "beastie" will look tough!

Are your rear wheels "deep dish" - they stand out nicely!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks Rashman for the kind words... Yeah my number plate is my username, (but i've blanked out the last letter.)
As for the wheels, it was a mind boggerling decision in what style to choose not to mention the size and offset etc... im sure you know.. Thanks to your info on your message you sent me about the wheel setup you have, helped me make a decision, so thanks.
I so very nearly chose your Carlson style alloys too, as they look awsome on your silver CLK 230, but somhow just thought the extra shine from the Brabus VI complemented the Black more, so I went for them. I then hunted all over for the deep dish look, ebay, local shops etc and in the end got them from a local accessory shop. I was pretty fussy wanting as much info as poss and even asking what the depth of the rim was at the back and I paid a bit more for good tryes, 18" x 8.5J 255 x 35 and 18" x 9.5J 225 x 40 with a slight 'stretched' look making the rims push out!. When they arrived they were even more deep dish and incredible then I imagined and I am well loving them man the back looks awsome and will look even better when lowered as the wheels already fit flush with the outside of the wings.

So what do you think, do they look like typical 18" alloys? and you think I should go for no# 1 pads front and rear?... If I can get hold of the coil remover that goes on the inside, (see photo at bottom), it should be quite easy, better then the type I used that has two clamps on the outside of the coil I used before on my E Class which was harder due to the lack of space around the coil housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Your wheels look like very good replicas!

#1 spring pads up front should be ok, but like I said in my message I sent you, you may want to go with #2 or even #3 pads at the rear if you have rear passengers often. When you lower your car, you'll notice that the rear will lower more than the front.

Also, be aware that although your rims sit nicely in line with your wheel arches at the moment, your wheels will tilt inwards when you have it lowered (more so at the rear than the front).

Also, you may want to have your camber adjusted. This is something that I didn't think I needed to do.

However, I've recently noticed that my car was pulling to the left slightly when I drove home from my friends house the other night. So when I got home, I got down to check if there was un-even tyre wear - thankfully there wasn't because I don't do many miles at all. But what I did notice is that the inside of the tyre was warm and the outside of the tyre was cold. This indicates that my camber needs to be adjusted otherwise I'll burn the inside egde of my front tyre out in no time!

So I had the alignment & camber adjusted. They were both out, most likely due to me lowering it!

I'm doing a road trip to Le Mans in June so I'm glad I spotted this early.

Just thought I'd give you the heads-up as you may want to have your alignment & camber adjusted too. To adjust the camber, you will need to have 4 bolts replaced with bolts that allow you to adjust the camber. They cost approx £50 each - is what I was charged anyway. Expensive but like f#?K was I paying for new front tyres after 6mths!!

Any good workshop will do this for you.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the wheel alignment. I know what you mean about the rear's tilting in the lower it gets so i'll look out for it.
As for the front wheels I had tyre wear after lowering my old W210 in the inside and I just got alignment done but not the cambers.

When I lower my CLK with smaller pads I should get the allignement checked out I think... HAs anyone else had to have there camber adjusted like Rashman after lowering?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for the info on the wheel alignment. I know what you mean about the rear's tilting in the lower it gets so i'll look out for it.
As for the front wheels I had tyre wear after lowering my old W210 in the inside and I just got alignment done but not the cambers.

When I lower my CLK with smaller pads I should get the allignement checked out I think... HAs anyone else had to have there camber adjusted like Rashman after lowering?
I suspect others will relate.

Lowering your car doesn't necessarily mean that you'll need to have your alignment (tracking) checked... I think my tracking was out slightly anyway.

But I'd certainly recommend having your camber checked / adjusted.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rims look hot! Great choice;) As far as lowering your car.. yes.. that is the answer as to if you should do it or not... I am very happy I did. #1 e class springs and maybe a # 2 or #3 in the back depending on what kind of gear you have in your trunk.. Also If you change out your springs and shocks them you will need a camber kit to get your alignment back into spec. do a search for camber kit and read all the posts before you get to far.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, I think I will change the pads to #1 on the front and #2 or so on the rear and see first, then get lowering springs if it still looks too high..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts