Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i am new in this thread, its my first SL and my first V8 engine.

I bought this car yesterday, 34K on the clock, the last time they started the engine was is 1995, the fuel tank,sender, hoses are rusted and sticky, found a good deal on them already from Germany, the fuel distributor's plunger is stuck, the interior needs detailing and cleaning ... etc, the seats are saggy,brakes are working , the leather in a good shape, the previous owner's son bought new Toyo tires,battery new registration sticker and lic. plate he thought its easy fix, he towed the car to the dealer ship and they tried to rip him off, then he decided to sell. the engine is not stuck, starter is working. what else i need to do to make it running, till now i need the below:

Belts, fuel tank, fuel sender, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel hoses, flush the fluids.

what else? chain and rails ? camp shift oiler kit ? appreciate your inputs !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 380SL, 2012 GLK 350, 2008 Corvette, 2002 Nissan Xterra, 1965 Dodge Dart Wagon
245 Posts
You should probably change the rubber brake lines as well.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,299 Posts
A great looking car - and your to-do list is pretty much enough to keep you going for a while, it ticks all the important boxes :)

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, one more question, do i need to drop the oil pan and clean something inside? change the chain ? chain rails ? drop the transmission pan and change the filter ?

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before doing anything I would concentrate on getting the engine running, sound like you need to understand what is wrong with the fuel distributor/plunger.
I tried to push the air intake meter plate by hand while i was inspecting the car, i couldn't ,its so hard to push, it only opened a little bit and got stuck by something, i am assuming the plunger is jammed (may be i am wrong) what do you think ?

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,706 Posts
Are these subframe gussets welded with the subframe on the car?

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,299 Posts
Yes Carl, though you're likely fry the bushings in the process so they will need replacing. Alternatively, subframe out job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts