Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Dang, that's quite a saga. Thanks for sharing it all.

How many miles now?

You're one diligent, creative guy, keep it up!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Last item (hopefully) in the continuing saga of the front end rattle is the wheels bearings. Everything else except the tie rod ends has been replaced. If this doesn't fix the rattle then I'm flummoxed.

New bearings sourced from Rock Auto.

Loosen the allen screw, back off the nut, basically falls off in your hand or on the floor.

Is this scoring on the spindle? The bearing fit snug though.

I didn't replace the outer races pressed into the hub. They looked fine and our press is away. I didn't have a dial test gauge available so I set the "Porsche style": tightened them a lot then backed them off slightly.

Test drove the van and rattle was gone :) Next day it was back :( I checked the setting and it was quite loose. Looks like either I forgot to cinch up the allen screw or it came loose. Set it again: still a bit of noise. Cranked on it. Noise gone. Next day, noise is back when cold, goes away once I drive a few miles. I'm wondering if the spindles are worn.

Also replaced the summer tires.

Then is snowed!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As we were a bit late fixing our auxiliary heater ate end of winter we thought we'd get ahead of the game by replacing our AC fan before it actually gets hot. How hard could it be?

Well it looks the same.

You'd think with the grill off it would just unbolt and fall out on your foot.

Wrong. You have to take of the radiator support and the lights too.

The new fan uses the support from the old fan

It works now. Bring on the heat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Had a little scare last week. The van turned it's check engine light on on the way back from the shop. It ran fine but seemed to hesitate when starting up. Pulled the code and it said bad cam sensor. It wasn't hard to get at it and I soon had it out. It looked fine but I noticed the connector latch had broken off. As I'd been in there last week I thought I may have accidentally loosened the connector enough so that it would occasionally get a bed connection so I rally-fixed it and slapped it back in.

With a 500 mile trip the coming weekend I ordered a replacement just in case and made sure the necessary tools were in the van. I'm glad I did as the next day it refused to start outside a client's shop and threw the code again. Fortunately I was in Royal Oak, not far from All European who had a cam sensor in stock for half the price of the one I had ordered so I got a ride over there, popped it in and was back in action.

I think we have it nailed now as the van performed flawlessly on the trip to Empire for the hill climb:

I washed it and also stuck some number panels on the doors just to celebrate:

Twins:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, all the pictures have gone. Thanks Facebook.

So here are some hosted elsewhere. We all know these vans rust but usually it's a paint blister. We have some of those but we also had a disturbing hole rotting through the rear left rocker panel/sill. Well not after we took it over to our friends at Schiemann Composites we don't!

Oops, forgot to take some of filler and primer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.