Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 W124 300CE-24
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to update my audio so knew I was in for a ride; old 2 channel (with common ground) to new 4 channel uh-oh!

I spent a few hours here and on other sites searching for info and found that half of the advice was to avoid using existing speaker wires and bypassing the fader whilst the other half screamed rewire, rewire, rewire!

I decided on the former (I always choose the shortest route:(). Bought a wiring harness adapter for $50.00 (duh stoopid :mad:); what a waste of money as it's no big deal to join wires together. These are touted as plug and play; absolute bullshit BTW!

The online guides stated that the back speakers are the 'biggie' as cutting at the fader needs to be performed and some wire re-routing up to the head unit. Fronts are meant to be 'plug and play'.

Finished (or so I thought) and the back were working but no sound from the front. Damn! Spent an hour trying to figure it out and thought "Fark it, just rewire the fronts". So I did... and then no sound at the rears. Damn! Common ground for front and rear causes probs. when one or the other is cut away. Rewiring the fronts took me over two hours; not much room to manoeuvre in there; used a coat hanger and a (battery operated) torch:thumbsup:.

So today I rewired the rears which was surprisingly quick and easy; rear left side seat out and sill panel off and Bob's your mother's brother!

Job is done; new Becker head unit and all speakers are working - 4 channel, fader and balance and it looks really nice.
The fader switch on the console is now redundant but I left the illumination wiring in place. Maybe in the future I may install an antenna switch in it's place 'cos the antenna stays up when playing discs or MP3.

Tomorrow I put the console bits and pieces back.

My lesson learnt - rewire, don't bother wasting hours and farting around trying to adapt the existing 2 channel (with fader) wiring to suit.

Next job - update speakers.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Im more-than-a-little nervous to see what the 'butchers' did under-dash when they put the Pioneer unit in Anke... They went thru the current fader, so if it is all common-ground then that must be what they put in...

S'okay with me... 'cept that I HATE that unit. Just hate it. Dislike it immensely.

Did I mention I cant stand it? :p

:D

·
Registered
1990 W124 300CE-24
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They went thru the current fader, so if it is all common-ground then that must be what they put in...
If that is so then it will only have half of the power, as 4 channels in to 2 doesn't compute. And they reckon the fader switch can burn out.

May I offer the same advice someone gave me last year? UPDATE YOUR AUDIO!:) Plenty of Beckers to be had on ebay.de.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts