Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300SD
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a great deal on this set from autohausaz.com,

Problem is I don't know where to start and the kit doesn't come with specs or part #'s.

Does anyone have a diagram of the engine gaskets.

I have a leak on the front pass side that seems to be getting bigger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
That's the engine block kit. I just bought the same one from Mercedes. If you don't know where those go, I would not be messing with it yourself. The kit contains all of the gaskets and seals for the engine, less the heads which are separate kits. If you want to know where a seal or gasket goes, look it up in the EPC in the engine section. Or, if you have the engine manual in paperback or electronically, it is in there.

But those are used all over the engine, both inside and out.

Also you are not very specific about where your leak is and what type. That gasket set is usually for when you are doing a complete engine rebuild such as I am doing. If you notice, the rear main seal is that larger one with the metal. Front main is the smaller version of that.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
If you look at this picture and compare it to the various EPC pages you can match them up, but I can tell you the ones I know for sure, maybe others can chime in.

On the left the squarish one with rounded corners is the lower pan gasket. I do not know what the metal rings are, but for inside the engine. The large rectangular one is the upper pan gasket. The large circle is the rear main the small under is the front main. The water pump under that. The four little ones all go up top on the engine I think. The two rubber valve cover gaskets. And one of the square four hole ones is for the TB. The funny shaped one is for the oil canister. Various seals on the right.

That's how I matched them up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
It would have been sensible to first establish where the oil leak is,before going out and randomly buying a gasket set.....The gasket you require might not even be in that set....Get someone to have a look at it for you,or post some pics of your leak,so you know what you need...As someone as said you buy a set when doing a rebuild,for a leak just get what you need.:)

·
Registered
1982 300SD
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kit was less than $65 buck, so I figured that if it didn't have what I need I'd still have other gaskets that at some point or another would need replacing.

I'm going to hit the underside of the engine with some de-greaser, and clean it up as best as I can to find the leak.

Last time I was under there I noticed the oil pan had some seepage.

I'll go as far as my Chilton repair manual takes me (came with the car :cool: )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
That manual is amateur hour to the factory manuals and I was trying not to say that you really don't need that set unless you have your engine apart. I would return it and just get the one you need.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
PM me your email and I will point you to the factory manuals.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,650 Posts
The kit was less than $65 buck, so I figured that if it didn't have what I need I'd still have other gaskets that at some point or another would need replacing.

I'm going to hit the underside of the engine with some de-greaser, and clean it up as best as I can to find the leak.

Last time I was under there I noticed the oil pan had some seepage.

I'll go as far as my Chilton repair manual takes me (came with the car :cool: )
To complete your profile with the car mod would make it easier to respond to your gasket thread.
Please make sure to read Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts