Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
New: 2005 w211 E270 132kw; Old: 2001, w203, C220 105kw
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

after 4 years with W203 (c220, 2001) i moved onto W211. More precisely for a few days now i proudly own E270 130kw 2005 with 245.000 KMs (manual stick). :D This model was my wish for some time.
The previous owner said that this is the model with the newer engine, not sure what that means, the last vin data says R5-DIESEL ENGINE OM647.

So far so good, lots of power and space, it's a bit more comfortable than my old C class.
Power is what really amazes me, it's so quick, can't imagine how even more powerful cars perform, right now for me this is like a space shuttle.

Anyway, i like to write down my adventures which happen in daily life with the MB, so you can expect more posts here from me.

I did some research before but still, there's a long way to learn everything and even then it won't be everything.
First what pops up on the internet as the failure point is SBC pump and electrics.
I kinda maybe can already confirm this because I sometimes get ESP defective error, it quickly disappears after turning the key back and forth.

If anyone has some tips or more knowledge about this car feel free to share your experiences. What to look for, what is their biggest "fault" and so on.

Safe roads!

·
Registered
2004 E270 CDI
77 Posts
OM 647 (5 cyl) are bullet proof engines provided you take good care including regular oil changes (7500 - 10,000 km change interval depending on quality of diesel in your area) and replacing filters as they become due for change. Fuel filter and brake fluid to be changed after 2 years.

Important info related to SBC, BAS and ESP is attached. Your car has all these 3 functions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,462 Posts
Also, change the transmission fluid and filter if you haven't done it already.

Yeah, that engine, or anything else in the OM646/7/8 family, is going to be really solid. My car has the OM648 (6 cyl), and it's great. Generally speaking, the electronics improved a lot by 2005, so there shouldn't be many, if any, problems there by now.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same stuff you'd see on a W203. W211's are basically just slightly bigger W203's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! Yes, cowboyt i agree it's basically bigger W203 but i like more features it has than my old W203 had, the car feels simply better. :)

17.01.2020 First investments - Battery, oil and filters

I was getting conveniences are turned off message upon first start (something like that) and it turns out that i have poor Mercedes Benz battery which is 5+ years old. Electrician's tool said it's at 44%, then after about 18 hours of charging it got to 57% and the tool says it has to be replaced.

I noticed also that car sometimes struggles to start, it turns every time but sometimes it pauses for a second and then starts.
Strangely no errors regarding battery appear in the board computer.

I really don't wanna destroy the starter component so i decided to just get a brand new battery.
While i'm at it, i will also replace the smaller one 12Ah, do you have any tips or recommendations for this battery? Will i lose anything if i just take it out and put a new one?

Filters and oils

I of course plan to change all the oil/fluids in the car, but first, i need to consult with my mechanic to see what else has to be done. For starts, i will change the air filter on my own as i already confirmed that it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,003 Posts
W211 has smaller drag coefficient so MPG should be slightly better than W203 at same engine.

I recommend AGM main battery, Varta G14 for example. OEM aux battery is also AGM type, brand FIAMM
Memory seats, power windows and sunroof need to be normed after main battery change. Aux goes without issues, just always wait car 'goes to sleep' (10mins) before disconnect anything. Car is more robust against battery sparks than W203 but like you have already found very sensitive to low voltage issues.

Joints (any wheel) are pretty weak, usually 1-2 are needed to change annually. However parts are cheap.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
W211 has smaller drag coefficient so MPG should be slightly better than W203 at same engine.

I recommend AGM main battery, Varta G14 for example. OEM aux battery is also AGM type, brand FIAMM
Memory seats, power windows and sunroof need to be normed after main battery change. Aux goes without issues, just always wait car 'goes to sleep' (10mins) before disconnect anything. Car is more robust against battery sparks than W203 but like you have already found very sensitive to low voltage issues.

Joints (any wheel) are pretty weak, usually 1-2 are needed to change annually. However parts are cheap.
Thanks for the info. My old w203 was 105kw C220 this one so far takes about 7-8 litres per 100km which is 1-2 litres more than i had with W203 but it's worth it.
Also, the car doesn't have memory seats and sunroof, it has classic/standard package.

In any case, i'll just get new batteries and swap them on my own, hopefully nothing will go bad way. :D

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,003 Posts
Your old one was 4 mug.... My W210 270CDI (older OM612 engine) took 7 L/100km, My W211 320 CDI (OM648) took 7.5 L/100km. So one cylinder more means approx 0.5-1 L more per 100km. V engine tends to be slightly more thristy, my C219 (OM642) takes 8 L/100km. All consumptions measured from tank, one year average (winter time cold starts increase consumption)

Of course tyres means a lot, I can see same 0.5-1L difference when I change summer/winter tyres of my C219.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Thank you both! Yes, cowboyt i agree it's basically bigger W203 but i like more features it has than my old W203 had, the car feels simply better. :)

17.01.2020 First investments - Battery, oil and filters

I was getting conveniences are turned off message upon first start (something like that) and it turns out that i have poor Mercedes Benz battery which is 5+ years old. Electrician's tool said it's at 44%, then after about 18 hours of charging it got to 57% and the tool says it has to be replaced.

I noticed also that car sometimes struggles to start, it turns every time but sometimes it pauses for a second and then starts.
Strangely no errors regarding battery appear in the board computer.

I really don't wanna destroy the starter component so i decided to just get a brand new battery.
While i'm at it, i will also replace the smaller one 12Ah, do you have any tips or recommendations for this battery? Will i lose anything if i just take it out and put a new one?

Filters and oils

I of course plan to change all the oil/fluids in the car, but first, i need to consult with my mechanic to see what else has to be done. For starts, i will change the air filter on my own as i already confirmed that it needs to be replaced.
Indeed, my car was getting those "conveniences turned off" message right after start, too. I got a new AGM battery, and those messages went away. And no, you will lose nothing by removing and replacing that smaller battery; I did that one as well. My understanding is that it's to power the SBC brake system in an emergency.

You should've seen the air filter on my car when I got it! It looked like a bird had built a nest in there. No wonder I wasn't getting full power. Replaced that and cleaned out the air filter housing, and the car has been great ever since.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New battery installed.
New air filter installed.

The problem i have with starting is still there.
Key turned fully to the right, the engine attempts to start then pauses for a second and finally starts.
Right after that 2nd start can be really good without hesitation.

I read about causes on the internet, someone mentioned that it can be CPC or bad fuel filter. No idea really. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Key fob and engine start ups

I had these somewhat odd engine start-ups sometimes since I've got my W211 a few days ago, they would happen maybe every 2nd, 3rd engine start.
The car would attempt to start, then pause for a second and finally get fired up. All that while i don't let got the key from position 2.

I decided to use 2nd key fob and today i had about 9-10 restarts at different times during the day, every time the car would start without a problem it had before.

Maybe it's a new battery that solved it or a key fob i don't know but i'm glad that the issue didn't appear today. Will see how it starts in next days.

Auxilary battery (small 12Ah one) and codes

Via my Delphi diagnostics i found out that little 12Ah battery was never replaced or at least no one ever made an entry via the tool as it says that battery is since kilometre 1, which is basically out of the factory, need to check it more closely to see the date on it.

Glow plugs code
The car also shows glow plug cylinder 5 and 2 have a short circuit before it was only number 5, this is something else to be done by electrician probably.

ESP, ABS, Steering angle sensor codes
Various codes appear for ESP ABS and Steering angle sensor. I will attach some pictures of codes and descriptions.

I highly suspect that this has to do something with a battery which was drained out when i went to pick up the car.
Is there a way to reset these components or do something. I don't think components need to be replaced

Note this:
I get ESP defective warning when i put the key in, but if i just turn it left-right once i reset the code in board computer and ESP works just fine alongside everything else. Tested it on my own on the road.

Codes:
2137 Glow plug cylinder 5, short circuit (permanent)
2134 Glow plug cylinder 2, short circuit (permanent)

6210 ABS control system (permanent)
6230 ESP operation (permanent)
4D41 Steering angle sensor (permanent)
C2258 ABS active (intermittent)

C249E Terminal 87; undervoltage (intermittent)

9102 Control module ASSYST PLUS; coding is faulty (intermittent)

9010 Erase and ignore fault code: the component is not installed (intermittent)
9051 Consumer shutoff stage 1 (intermittent)
9050 Consumer shutoff stage 2 (intermittent)

9334 Steering angle sensor; faulty signal (intermittent)
9353 Steering angle sensor; overflow
9336 Steering angle sensor; faulty signal (intermittent)

9334 Steering angle sensor (permanent)
93531 Unknown fault code
93361 Unknown fault code

Pictures:
1w211.jpg 2w211.jpg 3w211.jpg 4w211.jpg

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
You're now getting into diagnosing electronics, and for that, you really should get your car on a STAR Diagnostic System (SDS). They can be had for 400 pound-sterling from a UK vendor, or you can do what I did and buy mine straight from the Chinese factory where they're made. Mine has been excellent over the last nearly-four years. There are known good vendors, and I bought mine from one of them. It really is worth it.

Fortunately, the glow plugs are easy to do on this series of engine. With my car, it was glow plug #6. Much like with ignition coils on gasoline/petrol engines, when one goes, others are probably on their way out as well. Therefore, I replaced all six on my car. Start to finish, it took me an hour and ten minutes, and that's including the use of the thread cleaner/reamer tool before I put the new glow plugs in. There is no programming necessary for the new glow plugs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're now getting into diagnosing electronics, and for that, you really should get your car on a STAR Diagnostic System (SDS). They can be had for 400 pound-sterling from a UK vendor, or you can do what I did and buy mine straight from the Chinese factory where they're made. Mine has been excellent over the last nearly-four years. There are known good vendors, and I bought mine from one of them. It really is worth it.

Fortunately, the glow plugs are easy to do on this series of engine. With my car, it was glow plug #6. Much like with ignition coils on gasoline/petrol engines, when one goes, others are probably on their way out as well. Therefore, I replaced all six on my car. Start to finish, it took me an hour and ten minutes, and that's including the use of the thread cleaner/reamer tool before I put the new glow plugs in. There is no programming necessary for the new glow plugs.
Sadly i'm not able to make such investment for STAR system right now. It's a lot of money to give and i'll rather invest it in other parts of the car. :)
For now, i'll look for someone who has this tool and diagnose the exact issue that way.

Although the car runs very well, no issues in driving whatsoever, i'm very satisfied so far.

Took a decent trip today in winter conditions (ice on road and so) and i can really feel the help from SBC system.
It's something new for me, i sometimes can feel something like pulsation even when i don't apply the brakes, it's like the car somehow corrects itself on its own sometimes or it tries to cut the throttle when there's a risk. Very convenient thing. I had ESP before with my W203 but this is something definitely better.

Key fob and engine start-ups
I'm now even more convinced that it was key fob that was causing the issue that i've described before. Every restart today went flawlessly, as we like to say here at "half-key" the car will start up every time.

Next on to-do list: New Aux battery (12ah) oil, oil filter and fuel filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts