Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the process of replacing my exhaust system today. I dropped the whole system from the catalytic converter back.

When I separated the catalytic converter from the center muffler I received quite a surprise. Melted pieces of the catalytic converter interior came falling out of the center muffler and catalytic converter housing. Effectively the converter was clogged.

Could this have been the source of my engine's hot running? (110deg C)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
A clogged up Cat can cause overheating, low power, sluggish performance, and poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Several years ago my wife purchased a used Ford Fiesta 4 cylinder car (like 1979). The PO had modified the fuel filler to allow leaded gas (back in those days you could buy either one and the leaded gas cheaper - leaded had a bigger nozzle). Assuming the the catalytic converter had been modified to suit leaded gas, she was using the cheaper fuel. After we got married and I continued to do the same. We began to notice the issues noted above.... overheating, loss of power, and poor gas mileage. While on a trip to Disney World it came to a head. It was running hot and would not do more than 50 mph and so I stopped at a small garage along the way to see if they could help. They quickly analyzed the problem and told me they could rod out the converter and get me back on the road, if I would not breath a word to any one at what they had done. Afterward, it ran like a scalded dog and we had a great vacation!:D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE:

Since I replace the exhaust system last summer the Red Fox has gotten to run better and better, and smother. Iv'e run a few cans of Sea Foam through her fuel system and there is very noticeable increase in power. I'm hoping what I was thinking was carbon build up in the cylinder heads is now working its way out.

The cooling problem was solved by replacing the radiator. It apparently had hard water build up in the radiator. She now runs at a steady 80 to 85 degrees C on the temperature gauge. This summer here in So. Utah will be the big test of this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Walt Williams
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing