·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my new tires yesterday and let me just say these things are beefy

42/15/20 Swamper SX II's

I dont know which one i love more :p

disclaimer...
My truck has a Ford 300 6 in it having drove my last mog with stock motor and 39.5 iroks i dont think the stock motor would turn these tires happily but the 300 6 does well

·
Registered
1966 Radio Box
157 Posts
Of course this post begs a number of questions. First, what did you have to do to stuff 42's in there and second, where in gods' name is the writeup (with massive amounts of pictures) of the 300/6 install? Inquiring minds and all that. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice ! I to am putting the same tires on my 404.0 Doka, however I decided to have beadlocks made for my wheels. Couldn't find any I was pleased with so I had a local shop laser out some rings. Getting them welded in now. Can't wait til they're done and get the new rubbers mounted.

·
Registered
1956 Unimog 404 Rock Crawler
125 Posts
If the inline Ford works would a inline 6 out of a new TJ Wrangler work? If so has anyone done it or seen it done? I have access to a new TJ motor for $1,000

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If the inline Ford works would a inline 6 out of a new TJ Wrangler work? If so has anyone done it or seen it done? I have access to a new TJ motor for $1,000
42's will fit. A bit tight but they will fit. So a 10.5 r20 is 38.5"-39" tall. A 12.5r20 in a Michelin is 40.5" tall. My 14.5 r20's in a Michelin are 43.5/44" tall. The 42's would probably need a 2-3" block for a cab lift and some minor modifications in the pedal and shifter dept.

As far as a Ford Inline 6-300. This has been done before. Sure a TJ engine will fit but you will havet to make your own adaptor/Bellhousing. Don't expect to get much over 40-50mph as usual.

My friend stuck a Ford V-8 5.4litre Triton in his Mog chassis with stock transmission....He of course used a custom built Ford Cab/shortened bed/enlargened wheel housings to fit his 44" under...."Look under Pyro Mog". Custom bellhousing...ect...ect...ect. Had to turn the shifters around 180degrees and back 2'..What do you expect with a Maching Shop Owner with all the tools in the world and aluminum and steel and a workforce to use at will. I've driven it myself. Will do 65mph down the road. Very nice ride. Where's your budget....that's all that matters. He has 80K in his...that's $80,000...But it's his toy....and he likes Ford's!

Just make sure what ever engine you pick you get an engine that has the same length or less and the exhaust/intake out the right...at least the exhaust.

Cheers

Charles:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
42's will fit. A bit tight but they will fit. So a 10.5 r20 is 38.5"-39" tall. A 12.5r20 in a Michelin is 40.5" tall. My 14.5 r20's in a Michelin are 43.5/44" tall. The 42's would probably need a 2-3" block for a cab lift and some minor modifications in the pedal and shifter dept.

As far as a Ford Inline 6-300. This has been done before. Sure a TJ engine will fit but you will havet to make your own adaptor/Bellhousing. Don't expect to get much over 40-50mph as usual.
no cab lift for 42's they fit fine the way it is. 10.5r's are 36-37" tall. a TJ engine wont work as the intake and exhaust are on the left side. with the 300 6 i can do 100km/h on th gps no problem and at 90 am turning 2700rpm

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,000 Posts
Those SX's actually should measure out at 40ish inches. So no mods required. Plus your far better off adding an inch or two suspension not cab lift. I still vote for dropping in a modified Mazda rotory in the 404. Speed and power!!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
no cab lift for 42's they fit fine the way it is. 10.5r's are 36-37" tall. a TJ engine wont work as the intake and exhaust are on the left side. with the 300 6 i can do 100km/h on th gps no problem and at 90 am turning 2700rpm
10.5 r20/continentals are not 36-37" tall! They are 38.5-39"...I've measure my own several times and that's what they are. This is a stock Unimog tire size. Maybe a 404 with 18" rims has a different tire that it uses but the stock rims are 20". Sure a TJ engine will work it's just you need to cutomize your cab a whole lot more and come up with some creative ways for making things work. If you have the time, funds and money anything will work. :thumbsup:

Not everyone has as much expendable cab as others so you always need to keep your projects in mind with your budget. Look at Jekran's 406 rig...How much do you think it would cost you to go out and have a shop make those custom winch mounts ect. If you have your own shop then of course your expense will be alot less.

Rotary engine....I've always thought that a Rotary would be a very good fit for a Unimog...... As far as the 300-I6...It's a good industrial engine. Just depends on which engine you get. As far as rpm's....Somehow this seems a bit off 60mph at 2700rpms with 42" tires. Is there a custom mod in the final drives that's been changed or in the tranny or something else we aren't being told?

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,000 Posts
the original fuldas on the 404 are the 10.5 r20's and they are definatly 36-37" max. I think you are refering to a modern molded tire

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
If they are the old mil style that came stock on the 404, that would be just right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10.5 r20/continentals are not 36-37" tall! They are 38.5-39"...I've measure my own several times and that's what they are. This is a stock Unimog tire size. Maybe a 404 with 18" rims has a different tire that it uses but the stock rims are 20". Sure a TJ engine will work it's just you need to cutomize your cab a whole lot more and come up with some creative ways for making things work. If you have the time, funds and money anything will work. :thumbsup:

Not everyone has as much expendable cab as others so you always need to keep your projects in mind with your budget. Look at Jekran's 406 rig...How much do you think it would cost you to go out and have a shop make those custom winch mounts ect. If you have your own shop then of course your expense will be alot less.

Rotary engine....I've always thought that a Rotary would be a very good fit for a Unimog...... As far as the 300-I6...It's a good industrial engine. Just depends on which engine you get. As far as rpm's....Somehow this seems a bit off 60mph at 2700rpms with 42" tires. Is there a custom mod in the final drives that's been changed or in the tranny or something else we aren't being told?
not that it matters but the 10.5r20 contis that came off this rig were 36-37".
yes i have a overdrive in the truck but with it in 1:1 it is turning 27-2900 rpm at 90km/h on the gps

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
not that it matters but the 10.5r20 contis that came off this rig were 36-37".
yes i have a overdrive in the truck but with it in 1:1 it is turning 27-2900 rpm at 90km/h on the gps
Tell us about your overdrive unit? I only say that because alot of us 404' owners would want to know and plus a lower rpm'd engine would work out quite well if it's a moderately priced option/mod ect. Pictures?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you look on the front page of there website under news you will see blemish tires thats where i got mine 235 a piece american and nothing wrong with them that i can see

·
Registered
62' Unimog, stretched and caged.
29 Posts
Ford 300 in a MOG! That is awesome. Is that on the stock 404 tranny. Who made the adapter for that??? I need one bad, I'm tired of the 40mph max speed down hill I have right now.:(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts