Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this baby 4 weeks ago ( 1 owner new engine replaced 1998, stuff i did to it::thumbsup: so far
-15" Crome $ 80
- 18" Wheels chrome $ 300
- Painted Bumpers & Grill Flat Black $10
- Waxed it $ 0
- Replaced all tie rods, steering damper, idle arms bushing kit, $160
- Lowered it 3 " front $ 0
-Gonna lower the back 2.5" on Monday:) $ 0
-Oil , fuel, & air filter changed $60
-Installed new Glow plugs $75

Plans for future:

Buy a really cheap 300SE with black leather interior

-swap out the interior ( and keep it for parts in the back yard)
-new paint job
-tint windows

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rest of the pix

Posting of the pix :) enjoy 126 lovers ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Looking good, did you cut the springs or install H&R's. Are Euro bumpers and lights on the list of things to upgrade?. Buying a late gen II SE for parts would be the best way to do a complete interior swap by far rather than trying to piece it together.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Good looking car, and good job on the quick mods, but I'm not a fan of the wheels. One inch less and without chrome and I'd probably love them though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good, did you cut the springs or install H&R's. Are Euro bumpers and lights on the list of things to upgrade?. Buying a late gen II SE for parts would be the best way to do a complete interior swap by far rather than trying to piece it together.
Thanks i love working on W126
I cut the springs myself, i have tried the H&R springs before (didn't do much difference from cutting them ), euro headlights its on the list yes, about buying a 300se yeah hope ill find a 1991 and i will swap the whole interior ( everything )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking car, and good job on the quick mods, but I'm not a fan of the wheels. One inch less and without chrome and I'd probably love them though.
My old 300SD had 17" not chrome and i actually liked those better, but i had to buy these 18" wheels cuz i got them on Craigslist for 300 with good tires:D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Good: The lower panels look a lot better than before and the grille mod was good. Great job on lowering it, it looked way too high in the first picture...

Bad:The Mercedes emblem on the rear window is corny.

Ugly: I understand you got a good deal on the rims and tires but they look horrible on your W126 IMO. If you were going for a ghetto/ricer look then you did very well.

Suggestions:

Put the 15" chrome wheels back on (at least until you find some nice Mercedes rims)
Take off the god awful emblem from the rear window...
Install some euro headlights...
Paint the mirror covers black as well.

Your car has potential! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Suggestions:

Put the 15" chrome wheels back on (at least until you find some nice Mercedes rims)
+1 to SaleenS7's comments

Mike

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I think the rims are kinda nice and not often seen on a 126. But I would definitely get rid of the giant sticker on the rear window.

·
9,038 Posts
Good: The lower panels look a lot better than before and the grille mod was good. Great job on lowering it, it looked way too high in the first picture...

Bad:The Mercedes emblem on the rear window is corny.

Ugly: I understand you got a good deal on the rims and tires but they look horrible on your W126 IMO. If you were going for a ghetto/ricer look then you did very well.

Suggestions:

Your car has potential! Keep us updated.
+2..

The wheels look too skinny for the W126 -- not to mention that its simply too much chrome. Suggestions would be either 15-16" stockers or even period-correct wheels of the time, most of them look good. Today's wheel styling doesn't go well with the classic look of a gen 1 126.

The rear window logo is not classy at all. You'll find that on a Chevy/Ford or a Honda... but thats not something that should be on a Mercedes. No need to tell people "hey, its a mercedes!" when they can obviously see that it is one.

As with a lot of things, sometimes "less is more".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Putting ghetto wheels on a classic German automobile is blasphemy. Leave it stock, completely stock. It is an old person's car. Don't try to make it what it is not.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Putting ghetto wheels on a classic German automobile is blasphemy. Leave it stock, completely stock. It is an old person's car. Don't try to make it what it is not.
+1 tint the windows and put OEM wheels on it, chrome maybe... and enjoy it.

For every inch above 15" you go, you reduce the lifespan of the OM617 by 100K miles.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think it's ugly as hell, but he's free to paint it pink if he wants.
That's a little harsh. (the part about painting it pink) I think the rule of thumb with MB is to never do anything irreversible or damaging to it... the running joke is that any owner of an MB is just taking care of it for the next owner.

A lot of people get into these cars short term, and either do a ton of damage to the suspension 'lowering' them, or doing crazy mods and then get bored with them. Then they try to sell them to the rest of us for what they paid + what they have invested, when in fact they've taken a $2500 car and reduced it's value to whatever 3600 pounds of scrap steel amounts to. At least rims can be changed, but going too big can screw things up, too.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Yeah, I know all that, and it's my point of view too, But they aren't rare or particularly valuable cars. Also, anything that reduces the number of good examples will only increase the value of those that are preserved!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts