Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1984 300d with original engine, with 279k on it produces a hell of a nailing sound. if the car is not started for 2 days, you do not hear it until the engine is warmed up. i just had a recent oil chg and the independant mechanic that i went to (not my original.) once the engine is warmed up it sounds like a guy is under the hood hitting the engine with a hammer. i run the reg diesel fuel..use power service regularly. i have plenty of power....timing chain shows no stretch. what do you think b4 i junk this thinking i need a new engine?

·
Registered
1982 300D,1986300E, 1991300TE AND GROWING
80 Posts
I HAVE A 82 188,000 ON IT IT ALSO MAKES A NAILING SOUND. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THESE HAVE MECHANICAL FUEL INJECTORS AND THEY GET OLD AND MAKE A LOT OF NOISE.5 AT ONCE CAN MAKE SOME CLATTER. ALSO VALVE LASH HAVENT CHECKED MINE YET BUT IM GOING TO. A GOOD OIL CHANGE AT 2500 OR 3000 FILTER TOO. CANT HURT. THESE PEOPLE ARE GOOD ON THIS FOURM AND YOU WILL GET A ANSWER. I USED ROTELLA THE LAST TIME. CI NOT (SI) LOOK AT THE JUG

·
Registered
1982 300D,1986300E, 1991300TE AND GROWING
80 Posts
AND IF YOU STILL WANT TO JUNK IT LET ME KNOW I,LL GIVE YOU TWICE THE JUNK PRICE THANKS

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i need to post new pics because when i do i have a feeling i will have MANY offers on the car. The nailing only seems to start after 5 min of starting..then it lasts all day. It just had an oil chg.....but i wonder if the fuel injectors will solve it. i hate throwing money after money. this one says connecting rod..this one says bad diesel...this one says dropped valve...UGGH.. LOL this is a graet site tho..i just want to hear the 5 cylinder purr this summer on the coast of maine and listen for that turbo whistle above 30...nothing like that sound...but now i hear CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK......people give me looks.....stares...shakes head. its a bit embarassing.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Don't Sell Your Car Just Yet...

Rebuilt injectors with new nozzles cost about 50 bucks each – you can also have your old injectors cleaned and tested at a diesel shop. If needed they can rebuild them for about the same.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just hope its not expensive. i have driven it for about 2000 miles now like this and i drive the hell out of it and it does not get better or worse. now why would it not make that nailing sound on startup tho?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
At least if it were the other possible problems you’d hear it right away – my guess is when the injectors are hot they don’t meter the fuel as efficiently and nail. When injectors become old and wear they are no longer in balance, they open below or above the correct pressure.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i have a feeling it may be more intense than that. i wonder tho since i have driven it for about 3 months like this it could be that because if it was something serious wouldn't it have become worse?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
floridabenzboi - 5/11/2005 9:47 PM

...if it was something serious wouldn't it have become worse?

Yes, I would think so – which is why I would have the injectors checked; it is a good place to start, not horrendously expensive, and will eliminate a possible problem so you can move on to another fix or sell the car.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do u think that i should just put 5 new ones in the car? what do u think that would run? Its a shame tho..she shows wel and just installed the new wheels, mille miglia bello, 16x7.5 on Kumho ecsta 7aa 25-50-16...with the chrome and lapis blue center caps.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
You can only buy rebuilt injectors with new nozzles – perhaps $250 for a set. It would be a gamble, it may not fix the problem, but I can’t think of anything worse going that long w/o getting worse.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm interesting. thanks. so i must not be doing any real damage tho until i get a new set right? i mean its not getting worse.....

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Right – and as I noted you can get the injectors checked for just a token cost, if they’re ok, then you know you’ve got bigger problems. But we’ll keep a good thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts