Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car to warm it up and then went to scrape snow and ice from my windows. I also helped a young woman remove the ice from her car. I got into my car, didn’t notice anything unusual, put the car in drive, and then my car accelerated like crazy. The car lunged forward a bit and the rear wheel was pouring out smoke from an awesome smoky burnout. Thank goodness you have to push the brake pedal to put the car in gear and that I kept my foot firmly pushed on the brake. I took it out of gear and put it into park as quickly as I could, but I was stunned and confused by what had had just happened. I got out of the car and just looked at it like it was crazy possessed beast of some kind.

I still don’t know what happened. I did not have my foot on the gas. I had my foot on the brakes, so I don’t know why the engine surged like that. I wondered if the choke was stuck or something. The temperature dropped almost 30 degrees while I was at work and it had been raining hard in the morning. I wondered if maybe some moisture freezing inside the motor area could have had something to do with it. It didn’t happen again the next two times I started my car.

That experience reminded me of how powerful and dangerous an automobile really is. I think we take it for granted, when everything goes smoothly, but these cars are powerful machines that can cause real damage if they get out of control.

Does anyone have any ideas about what happened to me and if it will happen again?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have no idea what happened to your car, however i was wondering Your benz has 70k miles, did you replace the engine? or did you buy it like that amount of miles

thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed my profile

I purchased my car almost 8 years ago when it had 22K miles. Right now I have 85K, so I guess I need to update my profile.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
That is very strange. I have never heard of anything like that happening. You should check your throttle cable and linkage just to be sure everything looks right. Very strange ?? I love smoky burnouts, but not that way....

·
Registered
mercedes w124 260E
639 Posts
maybe the ice an cold made that happened !!!!! who knowes. i suggest that you make a quick check of the cables and maybe grease them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend explained to me that he had a similar experience with his 190E. He said that the problem had something to do with a vacuum hose and a vacuum actuated valve of some kind. If was something like that, I think it is very likely that it had something to do with the very moist conditions and the 30 degree drop in the temperature while the car was parked. It has not happened again and it never happened before, so I think it was just a weird fluke of some kind. I am not worrying about anymore, although I am careful to keep my foot on the brake until I am sure everything is OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts