Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days back, I park the car in the grocery store parking lot. Finish my groceries and come back. Get into the car and insert the key and try to turn it, it will not turn. Try harder no. So pull the key out, go home and get the spare key. Come back and try again, it will not even turn. Then had to tow the car to the nearest mechanic, K&S Associates. Recommended by AAA.

K&S Associates - Baltimore's Top Foreign Car Repair, Body and Paint Shop

Had been there once before. About a year ago. So they know me very well, inspite of being there only once. Wanted to go to Mitch Carr Auto. But the AAA guy will go only to the nearest AAA authorized mechanic. Anything else, I have to pay extra. And Mitch Carr Auto is 40 miles away. Each mile I have to pay for the tow truck. So had no choice. Then K & S mechanics worked on it. Here is the Cost:

Trouble shoot - No Start - General Check over - $ 75.00
Labor for R&R Lock Cylinder and Cover - $ 315.00
Igniton Switch - $ 95.23
Housing Cover - $ 18.20
Misc. Mechanical Hardware (12 @ $1.00) - $ 12.00
Steering Column - $ 107.00
Screws (3 @ $1.05) - $ 3.15
Switch Ignition - $ 14.98
----------------
TOTAL - $ 565.56
Supply Charge - $ 21.31
Sales Tax - $ 15.26
-----------------
GRAND TOTAL - $ 677.13
----------------

So total parts is $250.56 (without supply charge) and total labor is $390.00! Wow a lot of money drained out. And the mechanic has another shocking news. Will put that in a separate posting!

Attached is the picture of the new ignition key and the housing set up. The black regtangular block that surrounds the ingniton key, looks new and is loose. They are not able to tighten it any more. I am wondering whether this is an aftermarket part.

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,252 Posts
Sorry about your mishap ramesh. Were there no warning signs before?
I read many threads re inserting a pin, and under no circumstances turning the key back, and rather disconnect the battery, once the ignition lock/switch is on its last leg.
Because it is such an involved job afterwards, and therefore expensive.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My parts car must have had that problem because the lock cylinder was busted out......but it was very easy to turn the ignition to start.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about your mishap ramesh. Were there no warning signs before?
I read many threads re inserting a pin, and under no circumstances turning the key back, and rather disconnect the battery, once the ignition lock/switch is on its last leg.
Because it is such an involved job afterwards, and therefore expensive.
Hi Teutone, yes, no warnings. Suddenly it broke down. I did read Mramay's posting on how to turn with a clip or coat hanger. I tried it, but it was night 1:00 am, and nothing worked. And it was in a grocery store parking lot. If left there, it can be towed and I will have to pay $250 to get the car back.

But the driver's side door lock is showing some signs. It is harder some times. During this time, I gently wiggle and it opens. So one of these days I will have to go to the dealer and get a new lock and fix it myself, before it breaks altogether. (Even if this breaks, I can always get into the car from the passenger side! One relief with this)

Ramesh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem with my drivers lock... except it now doesn't work at all. What would you replace exactly?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,252 Posts
Hi Teutone, yes, no warnings. Suddenly it broke down. I did read Mramay's posting on how to turn with a clip or coat hanger. I tried it, but it was night 1:00 am, and nothing worked. And it was in a grocery store parking lot. If left there, it can be towed and I will have to pay $250 to get the car back.

But the driver's side door lock is showing some signs. It is harder some times. During this time, I gently wiggle and it opens. So one of these days I will have to go to the dealer and get a new lock and fix it myself, before it breaks altogether. (Even if this breaks, I can always get into the car from the passenger side! One relief with this)

Ramesh.
Hi Ramesh, It doesn't have to be the lock, but could be a worn key.
When I got the coupe, the key would only work in the ignition, and passenger side door.
A new key from the dealer works in all locks.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Hi Ramesh, It doesn't have to be the lock, but could be a worn key.
When I got the coupe, the key would only work in the ignition, and passenger side door.
A new key from the dealer works in all locks.
Cheers
Just about to say that.

I had trouble with the keys that came with the SEL, the "master" key would not work well. A new ignition tumbler set came with a new key and even the doors work much better now. Now if I can just get the trunk button to open the trunk easier.....

Sorry to hear you had no warning the ignition switch was about to quit. It normally gets a bit recalcitrant before it dies completely. You got volunteered to be the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ramesh, next time, please call me first, I hate having to read how it seems like you keep getting ripped off by these shops. I'll try to help you out if I can.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm a bit scared right now, Just headed outside (about 3:35am) to try and take out the old Becker ahead of time because I'll be heading to NY in the morning and won't be able to install the stereo.

I go to open the door and the key isn't turning the lock! Not even a jiggle like it usually does (normally takes a little jiggle to get it to work). Okay, No fear, I'll go to the passenger side, BAM! No luck either...I can't get in the car!

It's somewhat cold out and there was an ice storm last night so I'm hoping that it's just frozen for now, I don't wanna break the key forcing it.

Not fun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm a bit scared right now, Just headed outside (about 3:35am) to try and take out the old Becker ahead of time because I'll be heading to NY in the morning and won't be able to install the stereo.

I go to open the door and the key isn't turning the lock! Not even a jiggle like it usually does (normally takes a little jiggle to get it to work). Okay, No fear, I'll go to the passenger side, BAM! No luck either...I can't get in the car!

It's somewhat cold out and there was an ice storm last night so I'm hoping that it's just frozen for now, I don't wanna break the key forcing it.

Not fun.
In autoparts stores, they sell a "lock de-icer" spray. May just be what you need.

·
Registered
212 Posts
In autoparts stores, they sell a "lock de-icer" spray. May just be what you need.
Godbless the trunk controlling the rest of the system, Helped me get into the car. The doors were frozen stuck, Someone mentioned it before in another thread -- the design of the door handles are extremely helpful in situations like this, Got a good grip and yanked all four of those puppies open!

Locks still aren't turning though, I won't be here (will passenger it to NY) and it's supposed to rain tomorrow (happens to the day of my roadtest as well..), If it doesn't correct itself by then, I'll give the "lock de-icer" a try.

Appreciate it, flavio.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ahh yes, Just got home and the more mild day has melted the ice, All is well. About to do the headunit swap in darkness, This should be fun.

Thanx for the tips, Guys.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I just had this problem the other day when we had single digit temperatures. I couldn't budge the door because it was frozen shut. I aimed a blow dryer at the lock on high and it opened within 2-3 minutes with no problems.

Not fun.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've used a hairdyer in a pinch before, also for 123's where the handle sticks out a cig lighter works well too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You can pre-heat the key with a lighter.
Using De-icing spray before the weather turns cold will disperse water so less chance of freezing.

gr J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts