Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK350 MT LHD & 09 SLK350 7G RHD
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had only ever test driven auto SLKs but went ahead and ordered a manual (because it is a sports car).

Now I have it, I kinda wish I got the auto because it feels like the car should be an auto.

I think this is because the manual gear box does feel like an auto in 5th gear and it is making me lazy. The engine has so much torque that you can practically leave it in 5th gear for every speed you would ever want to do.

3rd and 4th gear are fantastic acceleration gears. 2nd runs out too soon and 1st!! - I can't see the point except for steep hill starts. 6th is purely for motorway cruising.

Apart from some straight line bursts I have not really driven the car hard in the mountains yet and just find myself pottering about in 5th most of the time hence the auto feeling. Although the car is small it feels huge which adds to the 'auto' feeling. Hopefully this will change after the break in period.

Some comments on other options:

- I love the Comand unit. Sometimes the routing is strange but having an integrated sat nav / audio system / MP3 player / Video is a must for anyone about to buy. I makes the away day road trips a simplicity and it makes the car.

- The suspension is softer than I remember it. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the sports suspension off my order.

- I like my folding mirrors. A good visual aid when I lock my doors.

- Airscarf is great. A must have.

- Parktronic is a life saver. Not only is it useful for parking but really helps when you are navigating around tight spaces/corners in underground car parks as it warns you if a the corner of the car gets a bit to close to a wall. I can't really imagine being without it.

- I have not had much chance to test the other options as it hasn't rained (auto wipers) and I have only driven in daylight because of the longer days (auto dimming mirrors, Xenon lights)

A feature I wish I did have but only if I didn't have to get the complete memory package is the parking mirror feature which automatically angles the mirror downwards when reverse parking.
 

·
Registered
'06 SLK 350
Joined
·
192 Posts
I know the feeling - 1st runs out WAY too quickly and passing someone in second often hits the rev limiter as the exhaust is so quiet that it's hard to tell your RPM. That being said - if I had the opportunity to swap for the exact same car but with an automatic - I'd keep my stick.
 

·
Registered
06 SLK350 MT LHD & 09 SLK350 7G RHD
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Shiny_side_up said:
I know the feeling - 1st runs out WAY too quickly and passing someone in second often hits the rev limiter as the exhaust is so quiet that it's hard to tell your RPM. That being said - if I had the opportunity to swap for the exact same car but with an automatic - I'd keep my stick.
Exhaust quiet? You have to be kidding. There was me thinking mine was too loud. when accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th with the top down. The tone is WOW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
mcat said:
I had only ever test driven auto SLKs but went ahead and ordered a manual (because it is a sports car).

Now I have it, I kinda wish I got the auto because it feels like the car should be an auto.

I think this is because the manual gear box does feel like an auto in 5th gear and it is making me lazy. The engine has so much torque that you can practically leave it in 5th gear for every speed you would ever want to do.

3rd and 4th gear are fantastic acceleration gears. 2nd runs out too soon and 1st!! - I can't see the point except for steep hill starts. 6th is purely for motorway cruising.

Apart from some straight line bursts I have not really driven the car hard in the mountains yet and just find myself pottering about in 5th most of the time hence the auto feeling. Although the car is small it feels huge which adds to the 'auto' feeling. Hopefully this will change after the break in period.

Some comments on other options:

- I love the Comand unit. Sometimes the routing is strange but having an integrated sat nav / audio system / MP3 player / Video is a must for anyone about to buy. I makes the away day road trips a simplicity and it makes the car.

- The suspension is softer than I remember it. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the sports suspension off my order.

- I like my folding mirrors. A good visual aid when I lock my doors.

- Airscarf is great. A must have.

- Parktronic is a life saver. It is not is it useful for parking but really helps when I you are navigating around tight spaces/corners in underground car parks as it warns you if a the corner of the car gets a bit to close to a wall. I can't really imagine being without it.

- I have not had much chance to test the other options as it hasn't rained (auto wipers) and I have only driven in daylight because of the longer days (auto dimming mirrors, Xenon lights)

A feature I wish I did have but only if I didn't have to get the complete memory package is the parking mirror feature which automatically angles the mirror downwards when reverse parking.
:rolleyes: I've said it before, I like the 6MT the best. Personally, I could live with a five speed. First and second gears are too closely geared and I've started using second gear to start out except on an incline. During normal driving I usually skip fourth gear. Basically I've got a four speed. Regardless, the full six speed is available. Fifth and six gears accelerate nicely even at moderate speeds.

I agree the Command unit is a MUST HAVE for me. I love the look and the features. The GPS/NAV could be better and easier to use. A fully integrated system is great. Again, GPS/Nav/Sat radio is a MUST have for me.

I don't have airscarf. If you're serious about "top down" driving, this is a MUST have. This is the one item I don't have that couldn't be added without major expense and effort. Based on the effort factor, I'll do without. If given the choice, get the airscarf option.

Xenon lights are BEST. I don't have, could live without, but I choose not to. I've ordered a set of Xenon assemblies from Steve at MbenzNL.

Chances are, you always be missing an option you want, or have an option you could live without. I'm happy with what I have.
 

·
Registered
'06 SLK 350
Joined
·
192 Posts
mcat said:
Exhaust quiet? You have to be kidding. There was me thinking mine was too loud. when accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th with the top down. The tone is WOW!
heh heh - I guess its all relative. My SLK replaced a Mustang that had a stroked 331 with a supercharger (9psi) - its exhaust was a wee bit louder then the SLK. As a result, I could tell within a few hundred RPM what the motor was doing just by ear.

The car was a 5-speed with 315/35s out back. God I miss the torque. There's just something magical about a car that made over 400lb-ft of torque at 1800rpm and peaked at nearly 600... But I digress. Keeping that car smogged was all but impossible in California and when I put the Kleeman supercharger on the 350 I'll all but forget the Mustang.
 

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350/ amg kit
Joined
·
250 Posts
mcat said:
Exhaust quiet? You have to be kidding. There was me thinking mine was too loud. when accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th with the top down. The tone is WOW!
going trhu the gears the car sound rombling great, but sound the best if have the top down
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350 Auto
Joined
·
37 Posts
mcat said:
A feature I wish I did have but only if I didn't have to get the complete memory package is the parking mirror feature which automatically angles the mirror downwards when reverse parking.
I thought the parking mirror feature was srandard?!?
 

·
Registered
2005 slk350 R171
Joined
·
18 Posts
a1reader said:
I thought the parking mirror feature was srandard?!?
Yes, I also think the parking mirror down in reverse is a selectable option in the settings menu---see your handbook.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
502 Posts
I have a lot of fun with the 7-G in manual mode. I usually allow the auto to control gears 1-2, and take over with 3rd geer. Then I move up and down through that range, and often am in 4th or 5th for in town driving. That way I can hear the exhaust tone as I like while also keeping the car ready to pounce forward.

I had not tried the auto manual function much until the last month; but now use it all the time. Lots of fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I found the same thing on my test drives - I spent hours in manual mode on windy lanes... I don't think SLKers play with manual mode that much but I love making sure the car is in the right gear on entry to a corner / roundabout - makes it feel more sporty.
 

·
Registered
06 SLK350 MT LHD & 09 SLK350 7G RHD
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dengieken said:
Yes, I also think the parking mirror down in reverse is a selectable option in the settings menu---see your handbook.
Only with the memory package. (at least where I am) You need this to store the reverse position of the mirror.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top