Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped cars for a lunch time drive around with a US Spec 430 while the other driver jumped in my ride little 320. The 430 was stock with the exception of 20's riding high. Drove the 430 around so nice curves and it felt like a fat whale, bringing back memories of how my car use to feel before changing out the Suspension including the Front/Rear Struts by VIPclk320 and the Front/Rear Sway Bars by H&R. Tapped on the gas and nothing happened for a few seconds, I was like WTF is going on with this 430 that everyone talks about this V8 engine so then I floored it, now remembering the lag and happy that I got the Sprintbooster. I'm guessing I would have been more impressed with the V8's power if I had not done any of my mods so my verdict after driving the stock 430 is that it is a Nice Car where my car is Fun, Amazing, and Powerful with biguPs to GhostRhider for his v6 Headers and VIPclk320 for his AirIntake System and Tower Struts.

The guy who drove my car stated "Man, your car can get away from you if you're not careful" and "Your Second Gear is a Beast":D
He now wants to do every mod that I have done. What makes the moral of this story so interesting is that prior to this I told him that my car is an animal and that I'm sure I can take his 430, he was like no way, not possible. I told him about my mods and he still was not a believer but he did say if he drove my car and liked it he would consider doing what I've done...Funny now he wants to get on board with my program...lol

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Hey Williams. I see you went with H&R cup kit.
By your photos I'm guessing(even with smaller pads) you have more drop than (1.9/1.6)what even a Sport Cup Kit would go. What did you do ?
Have you ever had a chance to compare the difference in shock valving between what's in the cup setup vs. Bilstein sports?

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Williams. I see you went with H&R cup kit. By your photos I'm guessing(even with smaller pads) you have more drop than (1.9/1.6)what even a Sport Cup Kit would go. What did you do ?
Have you ever had a chance to compare the difference in shock valving between what's in the cup setup vs. Bilstein sports?
Hey Hary, The H&R Sports Cup Kit was the first mod that I did 4 years ago, this year I added the H&R front and rear sway bar to complete the H&R suspension and I'm Lov'n it every day.:cool: I also believe with the lower spring pads that the drop is lower than the 1.9/1.6 buy just calculating the thickness of the pads the total drop is more like Front 2.2" and Rear 2.1".:)

Seeing that the H&R Sports Cup Kit includes both Shocks and Springs, I felt that it was best to go with the Cup Kit because I think they were designed to work together i.e. the tensile strength of the springs in relationship with the shocks. So I did not want to mix and match and I don't have much time outside of Pimp'n and Work'n to do such research so it was also a convenience factor.

What is your opinion of the differences in shock valving? Maybe I'll consider it next time. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
If You Feel Comfortable, Thats All That Matters

Hey Hary, The H&R Sports Cup Kit was the first mod that I did 4 years ago, this year I added the H&R front and rear sway bar to complete the H&R suspension and I'm Lov'n it every day.:cool: I also believe with the lower spring pads that the drop is lower than the 1.9/1.6 buy just calculating the thickness of the pads the total drop is more like Front 2.2" and Rear 2.1".:)

Seeing that the H&R Sports Cup Kit includes both Shocks and Springs, I felt that it was best to go with the Cup Kit because I think they were designed to work together i.e. the tensile strength of the springs in relationship with the shocks. So I did not want to mix and match and I don't have much time outside of Pimp'n and Work'n to do such research so it was also a convenience factor.

What is your opinion of the differences in shock valving? Maybe I'll consider it next time. :thumbsup:

After I read your post I decided to call H&R, they have an office 20 mi. away.
I talked to a tech rep. John, very helpful nice guy. He lives in my little city and
owns a C43. I told him I'm having issues with my setup and I have H&R coils with Bilstein sport shocks. I found out that the Touring cup kit has the coils H&R sell separately as Sport springs. John also mentioned the Cup kit shocks are Bilstein and are " very close" to the sport shocks sold by Bilstein.

I saved the best news, John said Bilstein has a service available to CUSTOM ADJUST/ REVALVE YOUR BILSTEIN SHOCKS!
That's my biggest problem now is my sports could be firmer on the rebound rate. If I could have the dampening rate upped 5% and rebound 10 I'd be happy

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
883 Posts
thanks for the comparison BRO

Swapped cars for a lunch time drive around with a US Spec 430 while the other driver jumped in my ride little 320. The 430 was stock with the exception of 20's riding high. Drove the 430 around so nice curves and it felt like a fat whale, bringing back memories of how my car use to feel before changing out the Suspension including the Front/Rear Struts by VIPclk320 and the Front/Rear Sway Bars by H&R. Tapped on the gas and nothing happened for a few seconds, I was like WTF is going on with this 430 that everyone talks about this V8 engine so then I floored it, now remembering the lag and happy that I got the Sprintbooster. I'm guessing I would have been more impressed with the V8's power if I had not done any of my mods so my verdict after driving the stock 430 is that it is a Nice Car where my car is Fun, Amazing, and Powerful with biguPs to GhostRhider for his v6 Headers and VIPclk320 for his AirIntake System and Tower Struts.

The guy who drove my car stated "Man, your car can get away from you if you're not careful" and "Your Second Gear is a Beast":D
He now wants to do every mod that I have done. What makes the moral of this story so interesting is that prior to this I told him that my car is an animal and that I'm sure I can take his 430, he was like no way, not possible. I told him about my mods and he still was not a believer but he did say if he drove my car and liked it he would consider doing what I've done...Funny now he wants to get on board with my program...lol
Im running stock suspension and 18 lorinsers... I want the front to sit on the rim. What do you suggest in terms of suspension and cups. Also how does that sprint booster work? Does it effect gas mileage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts