Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Glad to be of help Nick. Did you do a clear roof swap? I forget.
No mate just a normal, but now I know the mechanism intimately I am looking out for a 140 unit!

Greeney, your interior pictures look beautiful. I hope to someday make my car look half as nice.

OK...I've had a new term sprung on me..."sunroof cassette". What exactly is this? I tried a search but nothing on here I could find. Is this the carrier for the sunroof? Is this replaceable? When I open my sunroof, I look down and see lots 'o rust. And when it rains, I get some water in the car, especially the right front passenger foot well. Could this contribute to that?
Thank you, its taken a bit of work but nearly there...
Yes the cassette is the complete unit that bolts on to the roof and houses the sliding unit.
Oh dear, it sounds as though you have the same problem, if you put your hand in the corner and find the pipe, follow it with your fingers you will, like I did, find the rust or maybe all is not lost and a pipe has worked loose.
Dropping the headlining even around the edge is not difficult to do so worth an hour to spend investigating.

WOW! those are really rusted through. Bummer you had to do it all over again but it's a very good move to replace the cartridge now. Glad you found this before the entire interior was completely put back together, that would have involved even more time consuming work.
You are dead right, I was slightly disappointed but pleased it rained the night before otherwise I would have had the whole interior in. I am very pleased its done now...

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Final act

Is to change the key fob/holder
At last its all done so I posted the original red interior just as a reminder.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,492 Posts
Greeney,
If that had been an SEC red Interior, I would have pestered you to death for it fof Rose!

Good job!!!

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
Looks very good there Greeney, I should have done the same when I decided to swap the worn torn and abused burgundy interior for much better condition black interior but no, somewhere in the midst of the swap I went crazily insane and had to do things differently.

Nonetheless, you did a very good job on the swap out and in a very short time frame, even with the sunroof troubles. The end result is awesome isn't it.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,492 Posts
Greeney,
I can't use it in an SEC though.....

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Looks like a new car sitting on the Mercedes sales floor from the interior "after" shots. Very nicely done.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you for the praise I am really pleased with it I have upgraded a few things so it took longer.
SEL rear ashtrays with cigar lighters so needed a wiring loom
Drivers side electric mirror, (Another loom)
Rear electric sunscreen (another loom)
Auto dim rear view mirror (another loom)
The sunroof cassette had rotten drain tubes, so I had to replace too.
The interior was good but drivers seat had broken springs (as usual) so I re-sprung it

I need a set of decent mats now though, The black set I had in the red interior do not really go.......

Its been a long journey but I am over the moon how it looks

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,993 Posts
Looks beautiful Nick! Truly.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts