Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Base
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hood on my 2000 e430 hood wont open up i can get the one latch on the passenger side to open but the driver side latch wont release any ideas to get it open would help thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Welcome. Please take a moment to click user cp and edit details so you can easily add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often useful information when you're seeking assistance.

If you try the search function I think you'll find that this issue has arisen before, sometimes it's just that the cable is out of the track. Getting it back in can be tricky (since you can't open the hood) but it's doable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
The hood on my 2000 e430 hood wont open up i can get the one latch on the passenger side to open but the driver side latch wont release any ideas to get it open would help thanks
This was a big problem for me. I hope this helps cause it totally sucked trying to get it open. But it can be done. Just need the proper will and skill to jimmy it open. Please see my thread regarding the passenger side which was a little easier to get to. See the pictures in the thread to understand how to unlatch. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1681773-how-do-you-open-hood-if.html

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
384 Posts
One thing that you can try, is to have someone pull the hood release handle and hold it out. While they are doing that, use the side of your fist, and pound down on the hood, in the area that dosen't seem to want to release. This may get the hood open. After that, a little grease on the latches might solve the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
384 Posts
When I spoke of another person pulling the hood release handle, I meant from under the dash, inside the car, not the tab that goes through the grill. This fix has worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,969 Posts
Have a helper in the car cabin hold the latch release in the full open position. Simultaneously pull on the secondary catch release and sequentially apply pulling and pushing pressure on the hood for latch side that will not release.

After opening the hood, you will need to adjust the 'hood stop' on the cross member over the radiator up or down (try down first). Also, use lithium grease on the latching mechanisms and operate the mechanism several times to they are well lubricated.

Don't try to over-muscle the hood release mechanisms out of frustration, or new problems will be introduced.

·
Registered
1977 280CE EURO, 1979 280CE EURO
112 Posts
Frustrations Rising GRRRRRRRR!

So to revive this old and well discussed topic I have been unbable to release my hood for the past week. I bought a new cable but have not been able to replace it. After talking to a tech at the stealership he said to pull the secondary release latch in the grill and push on the leaver behind it to open the hood. I didnt have any success but I also didnt try pulling the release fron the inside at the same time. It seems as if atmsmshr has done this techniqe before. My question is what signifigance does the center grill secondary release have with the two primary releases. Also has anyone heard about the tip I recieved at the MB dealership with the U shaped latch behind the center grill hood pull?

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Same thing happened on my G500. Called my friend and independent mercedes mechanic and he told me that most every mercedes he has worked on can be manually opened through the grill. Sure enough, I looked through the front grill and found the hood release mechanism. I then used a long screwdriver to manually push the release lever (that is attached to the hood release cable) and pop open the hood. After that it was adjust (tighten) the cable, lithium grease, and I was back in business.

Again, no idea if this will work on your car, but it might be worth a looksee ... fwiw

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same thing happened on my G500. Called my friend and independent mercedes mechanic and he told me that most every mercedes he has worked on can be manually opened through the grill. Sure enough, I looked through the front grill and found the hood release mechanism. I then used a long screwdriver to manually push the release lever (that is attached to the hood release cable) and pop open the hood. After that it was adjust (tighten) the cable, lithium grease, and I was back in business.

Again, no idea if this will work on your car, but it might be worth a looksee ... fwiw
So I was under the same impression that what you are saying was gospel but I need toe understand how the grille release works. I dont understand how the cable and the release in the grille are related. So did you push down on the u-shaped lever behind the hood pull?

I know that many of us here and on multiple MB forums have had this issue. once I figure this out Im detailing the process with pictures and full write up for the next guy.

I had less trouble putting the engine in...

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
In my case, on a G500, I used a flashlight to locate the hood release mechanism where the hood release cable attached. Once you find that you simply use a long screwdriver and manually move the release mechanism the same direction that the cable is supposed to... that pops open the hood which is further released by the safety release lever. Again, no idea if this also works on an E Class, but worth a looksee anyway, good luck.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,490 Posts
i may be a scooch off in verbiage but the release is a two staged release:

the cabin release activates a primary, cable operated releases (in sync) at the
front corners of the hood

this then allows the secondary release via the grill lever which is independent
of the cable releases.

if you're trying to release the primary/corner catches, you should focus on the
cable release (junction) at the driver's side...at the radiator top frame member.

performed just right, manipulation of the cable (outward towards the
fender) should release both top hood catches at the same time. but it
requires precision. it may be easier to release the driver's side first,
then transition to the passenger side (manipulate cable towards driver's
side)

is it possible to poke something through the grill and trip them? I don't think so. that said, it comes down to what the cause of the ailing hood release(s) is/are.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,969 Posts
The secondary hood latch is independent - When I ran across this - kept tension on the secondary catch just to help make it more obvious when the hood was freed on the troubled side.

Someone else can chime in, but I think there are only three basic scenarios. 1) Cable release failure 2) Stuck latch on one of two sides. 3) Safety catch failure to release.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The secondary hood latch is independent - When I ran across this - kept tension on the secondary catch just to help make it more obvious when the hood was freed on the troubled side.

Someone else can chime in, but I think there are only three basic scenarios. 1) Cable release failure 2) Stuck latch on one of two sides. 3) Safety catch failure to release.
Well I am definitely experiencing number 2 :big laugh:

The passenger side is releasing fine but the drivers side is stuck. Going back out to have some more hood release fun now...

·
Registered
112 Posts
So here is the end all be all to the hood problems... For those of you with unlatching drivers and passenger side latches only focus on the cabin cable period... The drivers side latch can be released by removing all the under car shielding and looking directly up by the upper radiator hose to locate the latch. Then take a long pick or screw driver and release the latch by moving it towards the drivers side of the vehicle mimicking the action of pulling the hood release cable.

If it is the passenger side lord help you because you could possibly be screwed since it is not visible from underneath the vehicle. I will post pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002 MB 320e 97,000
42 Posts
Got the hood open, thanks

My 2002 e320 hood would not open, neither side would pop. I had my helper (wife) pull, hold open, the hood release lever in the cabin. At the same time palmed down on the hood at the corners about 4 -6 inches in from the edges of the hood, right above where I thought the latching mechanism is located. Hit the left side a couple of times, then the right, nothing happened. Tried again, this time when I did the right it popped, then I went back to the left, did it again and it popped. I then used wd-40 on the 2 latches. I then closed the 2 latches with a screwdriver and opened them using the lever a couple of times, with the hood open. Sprayed more wd-40, closed and opened it a few more times. I then tried it in real life, closed the hood and opened it. It seems to be working fine. 3 pictures that show the location of the latching mechanism, the u shaped hooks on the hood, and where to palm the hood while someone holds the hood release latch open in the cabin. Hope this helps,

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.