Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my first SEC and first Mercedes for that matter.

Its a 1984 SEC 380 light green with dark green velour interior. The car is in amazing condition not just for the year but amazing condition. A few small things that I would think are common faults on this model that I'd like to get working:

1, First and most importantly the car takes a while to start, this is something that Ill be handing over to my mechanic but would be good to know what it could be.

2. The seats dont seem to be locked by the "vacuum system" the manual talks about, this means they move about freely and wont lock into place which i think is also the reason the backrests and headrest adjustments are not working on the electric switch.

3. The seatbelt deliverer doesnt work on the drivers side but does on the passenger.

4. Id like to get some cd's or mp3's in the car however, it has the original radio and it seems a shame to take that out, anyone got any ideas?

5. There seem to be two switches on each door one controls whether the interior light switches on and off when the doors open and close but what does the other one do?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Welcome
Please (re)read the "welcome to the forum" sticky. It tells you how to fill out your profile as well as how to do a forumsearch.
Seems like you have a vacuum problem with the seats. However the seat- lockingsystem is only to work with closed doors and running engine.
Your electrical problems might have a simple reason like fuses and/or bad connections.
Hardstarting is not uncommon for these cars. Especially if they didn't get all the maintenance they need.

good luck!

gr J

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just bought my first SEC and first Mercedes for that matter.

Its a 1984 SEC 380 light green with dark green velour interior. The car is in amazing condition not just for the year but amazing condition. A few small things that I would think are common faults on this model that I'd like to get working:

1, First and most importantly the car takes a while to start, this is something that Ill be handing over to my mechanic but would be good to know what it could be.

2. The seats dont seem to be locked by the "vacuum system" the manual talks about, this means they move about freely and wont lock into place which i think is also the reason the backrests and headrest adjustments are not working on the electric switch.

3. The seatbelt deliverer doesnt work on the drivers side but does on the passenger.

4. Id like to get some cd's or mp3's in the car however, it has the original radio and it seems a shame to take that out, anyone got any ideas?

5. There seem to be two switches on each door one controls whether the interior light switches on and off when the doors open and close but what does the other one do?

1. Hardstarting: Search the forum. You will have to check the condition of all the engine vacuum system (diagrams elsewhere in this forum), check if the cold start valve and thermo-time-switch is working ok, check (after the vacuum problems are corrected) if the control pressure for the fuel distributor is up to standard, etc.

When my car had it's vacuum lines wrongly connected and with leaks, starting in cold (i mean, after the car was parked for several hours) was a PAIN. After reconnecting all the vacuum lines and checking that the vacuum temperature-operated-valves (2) were ok, the car starts perfectly always.

2. Electric seat positioning has nothing to do with the backrest lock, which is vacuum operated.

3. Search the forum.

4. I bought a nice MP3 player with FM modulator that plugs into the cigarrete socked. I just put a SD card on it, and it delivers my MP3 music on the becker FM radio. It was very cheap too and came with remote control.

5. I bet the other one gives power to the electric seats & windows when you open the door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts