Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

This is my first post and thought I'd celebrate by saying I've just fitted a proper remote control for the central locking. It's so much easier clicking the key fob without having to fumble to open and close the door locks.

I bought a kit from a German company and with the help of Google translate and my schoolboy German language skills deciphered the installation instructions.

For the most impractical person on this planet, I'm pleased it worked first time.

My next challenge will be to install an outside temperature gauge in the centre (UK spelling) vent.

Regards

Jim

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
This is my first post and thought I'd celebrate by saying I've just fitted a proper remote control for the central locking...
Jim
Welcome!

Feels good to accomplish project, C'Nest Pas?

I have the electronic central locking on my rig. Never use it as I don't lock the car when out. Too tempting to have someone just cut open the fabric top (if up) to get to the inside. Fobs are stored in the drawer in the house... Still, a nice feature.

Complete your profile and Post pics when you can... Location is always a nice bit of info to know.

...and that 420 is kinda rare!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,352 Posts
All 560SLs USA came with the temp. gauge. I wonder why the same year 420SL did not.

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ears for the kind welcome.

Yes there's not many 420s around. I'm told it's not the most desirable of engines, but it does fine for me.

The r107 seems to be becoming quite popular now in the UK, with two others I see quite regularly. It's nice though to have people double take the car when I drive past.

The car is solid and so I aim to make it my daily drive, but with petrol (gas) being the equivalent of $7.50 per US gallon it's lucky I live near to work.

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All 560SLs USA came with the temp. gauge. I wonder why the same year 420SL did not.
It'll most probably an extra on top of the base UK specification, which is quite bare compared with the US base specification.

Mine at the time had most extras specified - heated seats, air con - very rare for in UK in the mid 1980s - due to our rainy/cold climate perhaps?:

·
Registered
SL420 1986 (r107)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, do you have a link to the site you bought the kit from?

Thanks.
Happy to help.

I've run it through Google translate so you get the site in English - well a sort of broken English.

English Version

Google Translate

The basic German site is sl-edition shop - Index

They produce two remote controls one for 1985 and prior models and another (my one and much cheaper) for post 1986 models.

The instructions are simple, it took me 30 minutes with a craft knife and wire cutter, although you could solder the wiring in.

Basically you connect up a couple of wires to the (red and black) power cables on the vacuum central locking box (found in the boot/trunk hidden where the car jack is) to get power to the remote control unit and then cut the green control wire (which turns the central loclking) and connect it to another wire on the new remote control box and "Bob's yer uncle" one working remote control. The kit comes with some clips which bind the wires together so you don't need to solder.

If you make a mistake it's easy to fix things back as they were.

You can get fancy and connect the indicator/turning lights so they flash on opening and closing as well as the annoying chirper, but I couldn't be bothered because the noise of the vacuum central locking as all you need to know you've locked the door.

However, the instructions/photos are in German but I've translated them which I'd be happy to give you a copy.

If you're a member of an MB Club you get 10% discount.

Technically you could buy the remote control direct from the manufacturer (Innoparts) and get it for half the price, but without instructions especially written for the 107. But the worry is you buy the wrong unit!

The site's got some other nice products there, but they seem pretty expensive to me and you can source them cheaper elsewhere.

If you need any more help just post.:thumbsup:

Regards

Jim

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I put a keyless entry in the 380SL, which is actually more difficult than the 560, because you have to install an actuator in the driver's door. On a 560, I think the trick is wiring in activation electrically, either at the trunk or door. I stuffed the very small receiver in the console, and the wire antenna works at a fairly good distance just looped behind the dash. The one I got on eBay is (like everything else) made in China but has a very good remote (and a spare) that has a durable metal chrome surround.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
Coming from South Africa, 3 stage alarm/immobiliser is a standard feature of all the cars that you own as long as you want to own them for reasonable amount of time.
I have not seen any alarm that did not have central lock activation feature.

On vacuum only operated Mercedes central lock system, you have to install actuator in the driver side door and just hook it to the existing leverage. I found the best place for actuator is be at the very bottom rear of the door, similar place where vacuum actuator on the passenger side is.
Two wires trough the door loom is all that was needed to connect it to the interface under the dash.
I also used lock/unlock signal delay feature of my alarm system to activate auxilary vacuum pump for 3 sec at every lock/unlock cycle. It works magic as all the doors get open every time irrespective of the engine vacuum.
If it becomes someone's object of desire I will draw up a wiring diagram.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts