Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1982 300d. They are a really neat car. Got it for $300 and drove it home. I'm starting to get her back into shape. I do know the engine needs a rebuild or something on those lines. If you losen the oil fill cap, it will sit and dance on the valve cover. I replaced the injector nossles with the bosio nossles at dieselgiant.com and ran the diesel purge through. I'm hoping to get her all back into shape. The interior is almost perfect. The only seat that looks used is the front driver. The back is perfect. It still has the original med kit. Should probably change the contents. I just bought an entire brake system for the car. New calipers, rotors, and pads. The old system was solid rust. I guess they never changed the fluid. If anyone has some tips for me or any ideas, let me know. I'm all ears.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I have a gasser so what I know is what I learned from here. Why does the motor need to be rebuilt? does it have alot of blow by? How many miles is on it. please post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has about 217,XXX miles on it. When i pulled out the injectors, they were coated with oil. It doesn't like to start at all. On a hot day you still need to use the glow plugs. So my guess there is a lot of blow by and hardly getting any compression to ignite it. I took the hose off the top of the valve cover and it looks like a steam engine when running.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Take off the oil cap and start the car? If alot of oil comes out than you have alot of blow by. I would put a old rag or something over the oil cap hole so oil doesn't get everywhere if you have alot of blow by.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil comes out of the tube on top of the valve cover. Could this be due to a bad head gasket as well? Just want to start with the simple fix first.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I don't know. I have a gasser and I anly know the basics about it also. I'm karugs or one of the dieselers will know.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
how did the purge go? i have read all his info on doing it, but i am curious from someone like yourself that has actually done the purge to see if it really helped. did it? for the price i think you stole it. i would have paid that sight unseen. as for the rebuild, i would drive the hell out of it until l had so much oil getting into the breather it was a pain to deal with. from what i have seen pistons go for i would drive it as long as i could.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the Diesel Purge, it brought the car to life, huge power gain and it ran so smooth when i was done. It was totally worth it, just make sure you change your filters after the run. When it cycled through the pump and came out the return line, it was almost a cloudy yellow/brown. It was nasty. It started a lot easier even though she is a pig to start anyway. Possibly due to an old frozen battery. Starts good on the charger but off it is a joke. I think the glow plugs are shot as well

·
Registered
'84 300TD
268 Posts
Be careful about advice from any of the MB commercial sites. They are terrific resources and the info is very good, but by their nature they over simplify symptoms and solutions. A Diesel purge would be one of the last things I would do to a car with problems, filters, linkage, valves, glow plugs, battery first....and then maybe a purge.

·
Registered
83 300D-T
72 Posts
I would check your motor mounts regarding the shaking.
Your starting issue is likely glow plug or old battery related.
Go through the diagnostic described on DieselGiant for the glow plugs and g p relay.

Excellent find...I wish I could find a deal like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My cousin acutally got a better deal then i did. I bought the car from him. He picked it up at a classic car auction for $250 then i bought it from him for $300 due to him licensing it and me driving it.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Yea, so change all the filter, first the primary and secondary, drain the fuel and clean the tank (replace the tank screen) as it sounds like it was sitting for quite some time, at least enough for the brakes to rust solid.

The blow by you describe doesn't sounds too bad. You should be worried then you loosen the cap and there is enough pressure to blow it off the top. If it is just jiggling around, you should be fine.

Last measure should be the glow plugs. They have a varied lifespan, from a month or two, all the way up to several years. Average is about 1-2 years, but there are odd cases. Once they are replaced, also verify the relay is in good shape and glows the proper 30 seconds or so. On another member's car, his relay was bad, so the plugs would only get power for 3-4 seconds, so you would need to glow the plugs 3-4 times. A really solid motor should start with no sputtering after the glow light goes off cold. The majority could use a few extra seconds of heating before cranking, and most do so anyways just because.

So drain all the fluids, oil (motor, transmission, rear differential), diesel and clean the tank, replace the filters(fuel, oil and air), replace the glow plugs (Beru are better than Bosch) and check the relay. Last thing would be a valve adjustment unless you have records indicating they were done sometime in the last 10-15k miles. Once that is done, the motor should start pretty well and you would need to drop a few thousand on a rebuild.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, ten different replies, ten opinions! Okay, here's mine:

1) Determine amount $$ you wish to sink into car. (Trust me, the amount you will NEED to spend will be more than the car is worth.)
2) Perform compression and leak down test ... rebuild or top end necessary?
3) Based on outcome, is in budget? If not, ditch car!
4) If so, proceed with rebuild.
5) If no rebuild or top end necessary, follow steps outlined by others, to include fluid changes and valve adjustment.

If you don't quickly asses your financial willingness and whether the engine is in good, basic shape, you'll just spend a bunch of money and time on an engine (supposing major work is needed) that's gonna be an ongoing problem. To briefly analogize, why paint a house that needs a new foundation? Only if you're going to sell! :)

Carl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts