Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to start off I drive a truck. I have been to Europe three times and all three times I have rented BMW's. I have been meaning to buy a german car but if you have driven the autobahn you'd understand when I say that it is not worth driving a german car in L.A. traffic. The mystique is lost and I just don't find it the same as when I have driven around in germany.
I inherited this car from my grand dad and would like to restore it to tip top shape but again I am not that familiar with the car. The cars history with the family is pretty unique and this is why I don't plan on selling it. The car was won by my grandmother in Disneyland of all places for being the I believe the 10 millionth visitor or something to that matter. The past two years it has sat on their driveway. After replacing the filters and fluids I took the car for a spin and the car runs great. The paint has slight discoloration from the sprinklers and it looks as if a golf ball hit the front right fender and there is slight rust about 1/8th of an inch. Interior is in great shape and I just found out my grand dad did not know how to use the soft top so it is in immaculate condition.
I need you folks help in finding a knowledgable retoration shop that can help me bring life back to this car so that it is close to mint condition. This to honor my grandfather because this is probably what he would have wanted. I live in Southern California and I am willing to take it not too far but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
JC
Irvine, CA

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,162 Posts
My apologies to the moderator(s) and owner of this site, but you might want to navigate to oursl.com... Roy has an excellent site devoted to the Mercedes SL models, and numerous links.

I think your G'dad would be proud to see the old girl restored...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. In the last couple of weeks I have ran into a former Mercedes master technician and he has helped me out a lot. We did a complete tune up on the car replacing all fluids and filters. Replaced all four rotors and brakes. Replaced the timing chain.(61,000mi) I decided what the heck. New tires, new clock, new gas guage and replaced the floater in the tank. Tranny is is still excellent according to him. What else do you think we should look into? Total cost so far is about $1800.
A far as cosmetics I would love to get a new paint job but I may just have it detailed for the meantime. I'll replace all the rubber seals on the doors and windows myself. The dash board has a crack and according to the mechanic he didn't recommend I replace it right away. What do you guys think? Is it pretty labor intensive to get the dash replaced?
Anyway, thanks in adavnce for your comments...

JC
Irvine, CA

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
The dash replacement has a rep for being fairly expensive, even just for parts, and labor intensive. A common alternative is a cap that applies over the existing dash. No experience with either, since mine's in pretty good shape--at least there's one advantage to the frozen North!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have attached some pics for everyone to see. I spent 6 hours detailing the car to bring the luster back from all the oxidation and she turned out really well. Then I found out that the carpeting pulled up in panels so I was able to give it a thorough cleaning and boy was I surprised at the results. The original floor mats was also in great shape. The interior was immaculate after I removed the minor scuffs and stains. The leather cleaned up really well and I didn't have to use any harsh chemicals. I will have pics of the interior soon my digicam ran out of memory. I did end up breaking one of the sunvisor clips so i'm looking for a replacement. Meanwhile I sorta' mickey moused the thing back so it doesn't fall and hit you in the face.
After the 6 plus hours detailing the car I now know what you all mean when you describe how fun it really is to drive the car. The shiny red coat turned heads up and down my block. next time I detail it I will do better to remove the minor scuffs and touch up the little nicks but I do not forsee a paintjob being needed.

JC
Irvine, CA

Attachments

·
Registered
R107 1986 300SL Euro
64 Posts
WOW!

JC she's a beaut mate.
Envious. I wish mine was in as good condition.
Same colour as yours but with some good old fshioned British rust begining to appear.
When it's winter time she's off to the body shop to be patched, welded and have a bare metal respray.

One word of advice:

Hard top, ask your MB mechanic to verify that your clip release on the central rear pin is working properly.
Mine wasn't when I put the HT on last winter.
Can't get the roof off now and have been arsing around for weeks trying all the methods recommended on this and other forums.....
Not working.
I'm also quite rubbish at shelves and most other forms of DIY.
When my mechanics holidays are over, he can actually afford them, he's going to do it for me, involves undoing the roof release handle and retensioning the cable and sundries......
Otherwise, it's no convertible driving for me this summer, and yes we do actually get a few hours of sunshine in the UK, mostly in August, just after Wimbledon. Hurrah!

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks James...

I decided the car will go to my wife. As much as I love the car and no offence to the gentlemen in the forum but I saw the car to be a better fit for a female driver. Maybe I am just not a convertible guy. I will share the car with her and continue to work on it.
I was tinkering around with that latch for the rear pin and it seems to be working fine. What is the purpose of the smaller latch? Is it a lock?
Here a list so far of what I have done:
1. Changed all filters
2. Flushed all fluids/fuel system
3. Replaced spark plugs
4. Replaced timing chain/tensioner
5. New floater/fuel guage
6. New clock
7. New rotors/brake pads
8. Detailed interior/exterior/engine

Looking to buy some touch up paint and work on the little nicks. Car starts great in the morning but I'd have to give it a couple of cranks afterwards. Any reason for this? The mechanic and I think maybe it is just because the fuel system needs to be cleaned up a little bit more and I am using the Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner to help out with that. I would love it so that car just starts with the first kick if not I'll have to live with it.

This forum has helped me a lot. Thanks!

JC
Irvine, CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts