Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C320
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2002 C320 Sedan. Pristine condition with about 71k on the clock. It was a 2 owner car; 1st owner had it for 5 years and then it was sold as a Certified Pre-owned. Carfax was clean and all maintenance (at least for the first owner) was done as scheduled. No record on the 2nd owner. Had an independent mechanic take a look and there was just a couple of issues. The passenger window gives a slight ticking when it finally goes up or down all the way and also a slight ticking when the a/c is on. Overall he said everything else looked great. Suggested I do the tranny oil at it's 75k service.

Just a couple of questions - owner had both keys but only ever used one. I replaced batteries in both but the one he never used doesn't work other than starting the car. Will MB dealer have replacement? What can I expect $ wise?

Also, financed through my credit union and they offer a 3 year/36k warranty for about 2k. Most folks have said to get it but wanted to get some more input. I'll only be putting at most about 7,500 miles a year on the car, and I'm here in So Cal (no harsh winters) but plan to keep it a long time.

Also, I've read about checking the radiator so I'll have to look at that this weekend. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
100 Posts
Welcome and congrate on the purchase of your car. To some of your questions; yes the dealer is able to replace your remote key; they will need to see the proof of purchase. Credit Union is a better place to be finance than the Banks because you will get a lower rate. Owen a used vehicle you will always have some maintenance problems that come with age and wear of the vehicle and as for owing a MB it will cost you more at the dealer to work on it. We have a lot of people here that been thru problems with their vehicle and will be able to give you advice on how to fix things also DIY to save you some money, so just feel free to check out the search button, type in what you need help on.

One more thing did you have a mechanic look over this vehicle?

·
Registered
2002 C320 120k miles
88 Posts
AC ticking is usually a plastisc linkage on stepper motor, or , as it was in my case, the actual stepper motor itself. Not for the faint of heart to repair getting in dash, but if you are in deed a DIY'r, go for it. I have your same exact car. If warranty covers electrical, definately go for it. Car is mechanically great, but lots of expensive electrical parts can go south. Cluster, seat motors, AC stepper motrs, etc. Good luck. Remember to search forums before asking a question already asked 578 times....

·
Registered
2002 C320
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Anyone have additional thoughts on the warranty; I've got 90 days to decide. With only driving about 5-6k a year, would it be worth it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts