Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My First Engine Teardown ( with pics )

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kynyption 
#1 ·
Firstly, Hi everyone this is my 1st post on benzworld. I signed up when i saw how much you can learn from forums.

Anyways, i have a 1991 2.6 190E with 187K KM and my headgasket has been leaking oil(very minor) for 2 years. Recently my water pump started leaking coolant on the floor too. The other day i was going back home from college, my temp gauge exceeded the red line by a cm at least, ( when i was jus a street away from home ) and my car basically was put in limp mode as it ran like a dog with a limp. So anyways i popped the hood and steam was coming out of the coolant reservoir with the cap halfway blown off.
So i looked underneath and there was a nice puddle under the water pump. Oh and i was also getting milky coolant coming out of hte reservoir which means oil + coolant. Anyways to cut a story short

Im doing it myself in my garage along with my dad for help ( he knows a lot about cars )
so here is some pics of the project

Before the major removals

A little bit after

I have more pics, but i am stuck in the process of removing the head.
I need to lock the camshaft and put the #1 piston at TDC which im assuming is the closest piston to the firewall? Anyways after that, i need to remove my chain so i need to lock the camshafts and unscrew the crankshaft bolt. To do that, i need special camshaft sprocket locking device. This is where i am stuck. Where do i get such a tool for this car? Or is there another way to do it. Also, what recommendations do you guys have when i get the head off, and after when im putting it back?
Thanks a lot for the input, this will be my project car. Im planning to cut a hole in my hood and put a hoodscoop and rout it straight into the filter i guess im going to get one of those round filters that sit on the throttlebody. This way, the car would get outside air which makes it more true of a cold air intake.
Anyways thanks a lot for the input if anybody checks this out i appreciate it.

See less See more
#2 ·
nice i thought that was bobs parts car for a second there

#6 ·
Hood scoops are retarded on a 190. Buy a honda.

Cyl one is closest to the radiator.

Why would you remove the Crank shaft bolt? Why not break the chain on the master link and remove it, remove the timing cover too...

And since it appears you are holding up your hood with a level why not fully angle it back at 90 degrees?

#8 ·
Wait, i dont even have to worry about cylinder one right.. i have to align the camshaft sprocket to the camshaft line and thats it right. The timing cover, im not sure which part that is, but if its the cover that covers the front of the chain, then i need to remove the crankshaft bolt in order to get that cover off, because its behind the crankshaft bolt. But i printed off instructions on MITCHELL and it says i have to remove the chain tensioner after aligning the cams. Is that really all? Oh and i cant make the hood sit at 90 degrees because it hits my garage ceiling, since its not a big garage... thanks alot

#7 ·
Hood scoops look cool on muscle cars, but it looks silly on a W201.
And the factory intake is already your best option. If you notice, it sucks in cold air from directly behind the grille. MBZ designed it right the first time.

#9 ·
the hood scoop looks retarded.if you put it in a 190. these cars are already a form of cai. you should take the hood off altogether to prevent accidents from happening. working under there you can easily knock the hood prop off and get hurt..imo..

#12 ·
yes and i already have the new hood strut sorry, this was a lil older pic but its on now.

ok so you guys are saying no to hood scoop, no to cai , so what shoudl i do to a 2.6 190e to make it fast? turbo? this will be my project car and i want to utilize the 2.6 engine to the max.

#13 ·
If you really want to make it fast have a custom built turbo made. Other than that there's really no bolt on parts to make it go fast.

#14 ·
i saw some Toyota supra turbo headers on ebay... judging from the pics, it could almost align to the exhaust ports but im not sure if a turbo would fit on this engine as there is hardly any room near the exhaust manifolds.. IS this a good idea tho or should i look at something else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.