Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys (and gals) below is a MB Guru out of Washington state that works on ALL Mercedes, particularly old ones and diesels, BUT has
an incredible website that relates also to our W163's . His name is Kent Bergsma, and he offers absolutely amazing videos and information,
as well as kits to help us with many of the issues we face with Mercedes vehicles.

This link below to the Mercedes Source website is incredibly useful for us, and me in particular, because my 1999ML430 that I purchased new, has now accumulated over 430,000 miles and still runs great with very little oil usage ! I would suggest you store this website and visit it often to learn about our
Mercedes and a lot of the issues we might experience. Some incredibly useful information !!

My Favorite Engine Oil for High Mileage Cars and the Reasons Carefully Explained

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I think that second link should work and you can access a LOT of information regarding our W163's and how to maintain them. Since I have accumulated so many miles on my ML, I am going to take his advice and start changing JUST the filter every 5,000 miles. A filter change only is a hell of'a lot cheaper than filter and 8 quarts of synthetic oil !

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
Yes Springer, Kent's website "Mercedes Source" and Youtube channel are great.

He does tend to focus on the more vintage Benzes, which ours are fast becoming.

I've been doing his routine on the Filter at 5k intervals - it makes sense as the quality Syn oils can easily go 25,000 miles AS LONG AS KEPT CLEAN of contamination. But, we tend to drop them at 10k intervals and so much the better if you swapped out the filter at 5k, too, right ?

Be sure to read Kent's personal story too it's on his website.

He was a crazy Missionary Aviation pilot who would fly missionaries into the bush in 3rd world settings - to primitive Airstrips / no Airstrips.
You have to be a special kind of person to do that - loves challenges, laughs at Danger, loves people & machines equally well !

I think that comes across in his videos.

If you can keep an airplane in the air in 3rd world conditions, you can probably keep a Mercedes running in a 1st World country, right ? LOL

David in Texas

PS: Theres a YouTube on him:

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's a GREAT story and the interaction with the 'locals' is a riot ! Seeing themselves in a mirror for the first time must have been amazing and then to dive under the plane looking for sex........what a world we live in !!!

Never ceases to amaze me when I go to his website, how much more I learn about our vehicles and their maintenance. Just last night, I stumbled across his video of an S600 that he had recently acquired and was going for coffee because he enjoyed driving it so much ! MUST SEE VIDEO !! These cars just a few years old can be purchased used for a song...incredible ! Of course, lousy gas mileage burning high-test only and plenty of things to break that would cost a fortune to repair, BUT absolutely amazing with their double-pane windows and quietness !!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think I saw that one. Is that the video where he balances a dime on edge on the engine ?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
70 Posts
I’m missing something here. When I went to the link, I found a bunch of info on other Mercedes models, but I didn’t see anything for the 163.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sam, he does not mention W163's specifically on his site, but our 722.6 transmission is common to many models and he has many videos/instructions for many of the same procedures on MB models.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It would be really cool if Kent would 'discover' the w163s, but I think he's a 'car (only) guy' at heart.

I would appreciate his insights more specific to our beloved ML's - but for now, it's just his advice, ideas & parts for the m112 / m113 and the 722.6 Tranny which apply.

Oh well...

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I think you are right on all points.

David, I have 'seen' a couple of the W163's on his website and I am sure he has fooled around with them but his bread and butter are the much older classic's that he is so familiar with.

I believe MB really hit a home run with the W163's, with it being introduced in 1998 and claiming its fame in the original Jurassic Park. Sales were off the chart and the W163's really defined the upscale SUV for the masses. The low range capabilities set it apart from all the others excepting Jeep/Land-Range Rover and of course, the early G-wagons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts