Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I want to share with you guys my experience about my car brakes. I replaced about 2 years ago, brake pads and brake disks on front and back. I used OE brake disks and EBC red stuff brake pads. Since I replaced them, I never was happy with braking performance.
Even after change new brake disks and pads (EBC red stuff) breaking was the same and it seemed weak. Beginning of October this year I replaced all front suspension parts except struts. I had to remove brake disks and calipers to perform part replacement and I noticed that inner side of both rotors was worn differently. I couldn’t figure out why. Check attached pictures.
When I put all new parts back in place on front I cleaned rust off pin and back plate witch hold pads with fine sand paper and applied lots of copper grease on back side of pads, pin and plate. Inner front brake pads I swapped with outer pads. I have done the same for the rear brake pads, pin and plate. I remember applying copper grease on pads, but I cant remember applying on pin and plate when replaced brake disks and pads few years ago.
After this clean up and grease my braking improved a lot and that was huge surprise for me. Now I could feel brake pedal and braking if that makes sense.
My suggestion would be: EVERY TIME YOU GUYS REPLACE BRAKE DISKS AND PADS, CLEAN RUST FROM PIN AND PLATE AND APPLIE COPPER GREASE ON PIN AND PLATE.
Braking still awesome even after few moths. When I swapped inner and outer pads I saw some lines from inner pads left on outer brake disks side, but now all these lines gone on inside and outside brake disks and brake disks looks shiny.
I hope that’s going to help for someone.
Good luck and thanks

Regards Saulius

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
this is the difference between someone just slapping brakes on VS. a professional who cares about the job there doing, who will clean & lube & make sure everything that's supposed to move freely actually does... those pins are supposed to be a shiny smooth machined surface... any binding on sliding surfaces can cause the problems your describing, as well as squeaks, squeals & other nonsense...

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, sauliusagintas - we will profit from your experience, and hopefully DIYers won't make the same mistakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts