Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 sl500
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'd like to wish everyone a happy holidays wherever it is you are in the world!!!! I have to say this thread is amazing. After a lifetime owning BMW cars my father sells me on this SL500. When I first seen it I hated it! Hated the color, the shape , the wheels EVERYTHING. I drove it home to NY from Virginia and on that 6 hr highway ride in the pouring rain my first impression was "it feels heavy this thing must handle like shit" "it is comfortable though". As I chugged along and got familiar w it I started getting a little more comfortable w the dials and buttons and switches. I was like "ok pretty straight forward. Everything where it needs to be. You can FEEL the German engineering through out this vehicle. Let's not forget I didn't purchase a 10000 mile garage queen over here. This car needed some tlc BIG TIME ! it had 128000 miles on her clock. But as I drove closer to home and got more comfortable with her I caught a stretch of open dry road and gunned it.. I couldn't believe how quick I got up to 140 and smooth the transmission was! The exhaust sound shocked me. I was impressed.
Now as time has gone by and it's almost 2 years later and the odometer reads 152000 miles. All I've done to the car is the rubber shock mounts. Some door seals a new battery and a pulley . THATS IT!!! I mean could it be? Is it possible? A car with this kind of mileage and I hear no rattles. The transmission is just the BEST Automatic transmission I have ever used in my ENTIRE life. How other companies just don't out right COPY the blueprint to this transmission is unbeknownst to me. Anyway I'm done ranting and raving and taking up your valuable time.. Happy holidays and happy motoring!!!

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Glad to see that its treating you WELL!!!!!! They are an awful lot FUN to own as long as they don't BREAK!!!!!!!! Good Luck and have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
It's one of the most troubled automatic transmissions ever installed in an automobile. Tens of thousands of the early ones were replaced in warranty. It's also rather short lived compared to its predecessors and expensive to rebuild as well. But other than that it's great.

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
The picture is small but it looks like yours is the same color as mine. If you want to see what your car would look like doing a burnout go to youtube and search r129 CRAZY BURNOUT.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
The picture is small but it looks like yours is the same color as mine. If you want to see what your car would look like doing a burnout go to youtube and search r129 CRAZY BURNOUT.
crash2478 I can't find the vid on youtube :confused:.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts