Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Y'all.
Here are the pics with the wheels on. However, I have some issues I need to resolve. I used a 5mm spacer on the rear and now 1) Bolts that came with wheels are too short, and OEM bolts are too long and rubs Emergency Break Spring. 2) When I hit a bump at any speed higher than 25mph the rear rubs a little.

Here is what I am doing. Ordered 10mm and 12mm spacers for rear. Place that sold me the wheels are sending me new bolts.

I hope that the spacers and new bolts resolve all issues. I am also going to have the wheels balanced eventhough they were supposed to come balanced because I did notice a small vibration between 60MPH and 70MPH

Anyhow, if you have advise I welcome it. If you are learning, make sure you know the exact measurements of spacing and ensure you order all necessary parts together.

But God Damn it, it looks FUCKING GOOD!!!
[8D]

Here are the pics. First three are prior to wheels. The ones that follow are with wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
Looks good! I also had some problems with my wheel fitments as well but I also solved it with some
spacers (forgot how mm though)keep up the good work

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
Man! Looks Niiiiiiiiiiice!! I ordered chrome bolts from Lakeshore that were a c**t hair too long. I put a nut on them and cut them to size. I say a little prayer everytime I get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me, cutting those fuckers did cross my mind. I just want this shit over with so that I can enjoy.

Next Week - SPEED TUNING USA. I called them and this guys ROCK. Thanks blackbenzz. They are going to do the ECU and Air Filter. Then they are going to take a look at it to see what it will take to retorfit Dual Exhaust with dual tips on each side. They talking about getting AMG rear bumper or modifying mine.

Cheers,
Frankie[:D]

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
frankiev - 5/11/2005 9:53 PM

Believe me, cutting those fuckers did cross my mind. I just want this shit over with so that I can enjoy.

Next Week - SPEED TUNING USA. I called them and this guys ROCK. Thanks blackbenzz. They are going to do the ECU and Air Filter. Then they are going to take a look at it to see what it will take to retorfit Dual Exhaust with dual tips on each side. They talking about getting AMG rear bumper or modifying mine.

Cheers,
Frankie[:D]
How much are you getting your ECU done for and also what are they upgrading on it as for performance?

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it will be around 250.00 says the gains will be around 24hp or 25hp

Haven't determined the rest yet.

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
looka real nice. i think i like the chrome window trim on the silver cars though.

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
Did you try putting the rears without the spacers?

You never mentioned what offset they were. You might not even need the spacers.

It usually shakes if the front isn't balanced so balancing should do the trick unless your wheels aren't hubcentric, then you would need centering rings.

frankiev - 5/11/2005 9:22 PM

O.K. Y'all.
Here are the pics with the wheels on. However, I have some issues I need to resolve. I used a 5mm spacer on the rear and now 1) Bolts that came with wheels are too short, and OEM bolts are too long and rubs Emergency Break Spring. 2) When I hit a bump at any speed higher than 25mph the rear rubs a little.

Here is what I am doing. Ordered 10mm and 12mm spacers for rear. Place that sold me the wheels are sending me new bolts.

I hope that the spacers and new bolts resolve all issues. I am also going to have the wheels balanced eventhough they were supposed to come balanced because I did notice a small vibration between 60MPH and 70MPH

Anyhow, if you have advise I welcome it. If you are learning, make sure you know the exact measurements of spacing and ensure you order all necessary parts together.

But God Damn it, it looks FUCKING GOOD!!!
[8D]

Here are the pics. First three are prior to wheels. The ones that follow are with wheels.

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
If that rim is et35 with a 5mm spacer it shouldn't rub the strut, so it must be rubbing the fender well, which if that is the case a bigger spacer isn't going to cure anything. Am I wrong veterans?

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
BTW looks great! I think Brooklyn is going to have a fit, he loves lips on wheels, and those are basically his rims with a lip [:p]

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
1,131 Posts
ya your car is looking the same as brooks however your rims look alot better.. prob. cause of the thick lip.. what i'mw ondering is what your suspension is looking like.. you look like you have the same wheel gap as me.. -.5 in the back and a 1 inch gap in the front..

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
you know I just noticed something.......since a lot of you hate that side marker on the front......it kinda looks like that you could take the moulding piece that fits around the back bumper and put it on the front bumper after removing the marker of course...hmmmmm

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frank,
I tried getting the wheels mounted without spacers first and there was a rub on inside wheel well in the rear. Then with spacers. Rub disappeared except on bumps. Rims are 35 offset.

Dan,
The wheel was rubing on the inside wheel well. The noise now has to do with the Lugs being too long. rubing on emergency Break. Thicker spacers should elimiate that issue because lugs will not go as deep due to spacer thickness. Rubbing will should also be eliminated because it went from constant rubbbing to almost no rubbing with the addition of a 5mm spacer. I ordered 10mm and 12mm to ensure I have options. Tired of waiting. I expect to use the 10mm. [V]

Regarding Brooks car, that is how I selected my wheels. Saw Brook's and kinda liked but felt it needed that deep dish look. So I searched until I found.

Phade,
My drop is from Eibach it is a 1.2" drop. Picture seems like it is more because of it being on the grass and at an angle on a hump.

Once this is all resolved, I will be selling my OEm AMG 17" Rims with mounted/balanced tires. Front tires are brand new (less than 300 miles). Rear apx 20Kmiles. Still good and past inspection 500 miles ago. Will also be selling the left over spacers.

Cheers,
Frankie

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
Frankie,

That's very weird. Mine are +38 so thereotically, mine are more IN then yours and I do not rub at all, also my car is lower than yours. Adding spacers lowers the offset thats why the I added 3mm in front to bring it down to +35.

I have a feeling that the problem you have is due to alignment. Camber might be too negative. Also don't drive with the long studs, you will damage the pads of the park brake.

frankiev - 5/12/2005 1:16 AM
Frank,
I tried getting the wheels mounted without spacers first and there was a rub on inside wheel well in the rear. Then with spacers. Rub disappeared except on bumps. Rims are 35 offset.

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
Yeah I agree with Frank. If the bolts are the problem just get the correct bolts. A et35 with a 5mm spacer brings the wheel to the stock ET of 30 for the rear.

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frank,
Thanks for the advice. I drove it home (apx 5 miles and it is in the garage now). I am trying to get the lugs.
The rubbing I spoke about is nothing really, I only heard it if I hit a significant dip in the road at speeds above 35mph

Cheers,
Frankie

·
Registered
2002 CLK-430
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way, any recommendations on place to buy the lugs? Are there more than 2 sizes?

·
Registered
CLK430
261 Posts
TURBO PERFORMANCE CENTER
8040 WASHINGTON BLVD.
JESSUP, MD 20794-9449

Phone: 410-799-7223
Fax: 410-799-8523

Bet they can order some H&R lugs for ya

1 - 20 of 25 Posts