Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a factory CD changer in a 2002 W210 wagon. It skips and pauses (sometimes for ca. one minute, more frequently on "disk one") over minor bumps in town. The dealer changed it for another and this one does the same but now does so on the expressway. It will even pause if you brake hard.

I am using commercial CDs; nothing burnt at home.

Is this actually "normal"?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Since your car is a 2002, I'm guessing that the changer has the fiberoptic connections. There have been problems with the CD changer if the line has an actual kink in it. You might have the dealer check the connecting line. Again, just a guess.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
I used to have problems with my CD Changer (the Harmon Kardon one in an '05 E500). It would skip every time I drove the car, sometimes even when the car was stationary. Additionally, on two occaisions I got some nasty static over any CD I was playing. These were all commercial CD's too, not homemade ones.

Anyway, the dealer replaced the unit and the new one has not skipped one single time over the past three weeks since it was installed, even when I go over speed bumps. Others who read about my original problem suspected that it was actually with the fiber optic connection and not with the CD changer, and that when they switched out the unit, they re-made the connection correctly and the problem disappeared. The other problem that benzworld.org users suspected was that the optical output section of the CD changer was possibly messed up.

Fiber optic cables, while awesome for transferring digital data with virtually no signal quality loss, are finicky. I use fibre optic cables for some of my high end stereo components at home so I am familiar with their "sensitivities". I find that the best rule of thumb to follow when connecting and routing fibre optic cables is to treat them like you would treat a tube carrying some sort of liquid. If you kink the tube, or turn it too tightly, it can mess up or stop the flow of the liquid. Remember, unlike a copper wire that just has to carry electrons, a fibre optic cable is transmitting light. Electrons can go around sharp corners just fine, but if light encounters a sharp bend in the substance that it is transmitted through, it can refract and break up. If this light is carrying the zero's and one's of digital data and it refracts or breaks up, then the zero's and one's might not reach the receiveing end of the cable in the same order they left the sending end of the cable, or might not get there in useable fashion at all. Tech's who are not familiar with the nuances of fiber optics might not treat these cables as "delicately" as they need to be handled. So the previous suggestion to start by checking the cable connections and routing is a good one.

Since more than one CD changer is giving you similar problems, it is an indication that the cause lies in some other component of the system, rather than the CD changer.

I hope you can solve your problem quickly. Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts