Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
You have 4 cats, not one. I hope when you gutted them you wore a mask or some other protection. The contents in a catalytic converter are highly toxic and are well known carcinogens. I won't bother to comment about the added pollution or legality of this mod.

Before and after dyno runs would have been helpful. My guess (for what it is worth) is that most of the gain you notice is psychological and partly due to the increased/changed sound. Not saying you did not gain any HP I am going to guess you added ~15hp.

·
Registered
1999 C55 AMG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 cats not 4, and there both empty, my G timer is showing more HP (5-9ish more) to the wheels and a higher HP average on times runs, im not saying its ACTUALLY 5-9 more hp to the wheels the g timer is just an estimate but it shows more since the cleaned out cats

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Are you in the USA?

If you are, let us know the results when you go for your emissions test.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
mihaley23 - 4/21/2005 2:07 AM

its great, neat sound, and i notice the power alot, anyone els done this?

did you do it yourself? if so; how did you do it?
thankx [;)]

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
AMPM - 4/21/2005 7:41 PM

Are you in the USA?

If you are, let us know the results when you go for your emissions test.
mos def fail.. the asbestos not being there, the air going out from the exhaust will be too hot. but still depends on which state you live in. Will definitely fail in California.

·
Registered
1999 C55 AMG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just had emessions done 2 weeks ago so i wont need to go for 2 more years
BUT the way out cars are tested, mines a 99, im only sure about 99 and up, not sure if this works for 98s
with this
https://www.casperselectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=104052&Category_Code=nissan

the check engine light wont get set off, and because of that we will pass emessions

out cars only get checked electronically with a cable under the dash, they dont actually check the fumes, so it would pass, even if they check the fumes ive been told the 230k engine in good running condition would pass

·
Registered
1999 C55 AMG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way im in stratford CT USA

how it was done
the cats are twin cats, its like a y pipe that goes to 2 small cats that look kinda like resanators then y pipes back into 1 pipe that leads to the rear section of the exhaust, the way the welder did it was he made a large U shaped cut on each cat, heated up the 4th side and folded down the bottom of the cat, then banged all the inside junk out and made sure it was completly empty and clean, then he welded it back together
also it made downshifts smoother, not sure how this would effect the automatic
also ive noticed slightly better gas milage

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I just realized that I misread your car. I thought you had an SLK32 which is why I said 4 cats.

You may or may not pass emissions. I have seen cars without cats pass before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts