Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God dammit, Ran it for 2 mins down the road all of a sudden heat blasted on, then shut right off. Smelled plastic burning, pulled into parking lot, WOOOOF FLAMES SHOOTING OUT FROM IN FRONT OF FIRE WALL, looks like heater did it, FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, I am frickin devastated, even though I have full cov. that was my baby and the best car i have ever owned.!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320 for sport, 1999 C 280 for utility
37 Posts
I guess you won't have to worry about the headlights looking old anymore...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well wire harness was burned like all the way. Fire man said it looked like the heater fan blew up. I had the heat on and nothing was coming out, all of a sudden it was a big blast of air, then it shut off, I was like WTF!! Then I smelled burning plastic...... 2 mins later car had 6 foot flames shooting out the hood... I froze and said >>> Call 911! Get me a cup of water!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote//I guess you won't have to worry about the headlights looking old anymore...Quote//I guess not @!!!!!!

·
Registered
1997, SLK 200
371 Posts
Thats just bad luck man. Sorry to hear. Luckily you have coverage, but like you say, it was your baby and you will never get back the time spent making the car so nice :(

·
Registered
2001 SLK230 Kompressor
30 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!! My mouth is still open from shock.....not an SLK.....I'm so sorry to hear. When you find out more info please keep us posted.

Gmni Drm:O(

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
68 Posts
My heater blower fried as well...

I was going down the road at about 50 mph and cranked the blower on to about the third click, nothing. Turned if off and then back on again, still nothing. A few seconds later, whoosh! The blower sticks on high and the car fills with smoke so fast I can bardly see where I am going. It was pretty scary until I could get a window down and clear the smoke. I pulled the car over and yanked the blower fuse. I guess I am just lucky I was not going a whole lot faster!

I think this might be another weak point of the SLK just like the brake lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly what happened like you said with the smoke in the call and all, I think MB should look into that, it's really dangerous. It burned through the wiring harness and prob. everything around the heater, so they prob. will total it. I could smell the fire after I got home in the air, over 2 miles away.

·
Registered
500SEC, ML430, SLK230, S600
272 Posts
This is extremely frightening. Agreed, Mercedes-Benz should definitely look into this issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard there was some fire issues with the 2000 s series, do you think I should contanct mb? The good thing is I pulled in a gas station w/ cameras before it lit up so they can't say I did it. And also I have no aftermarket electrical anything. If there is a fault with the car that catches it on fire than they should give me a new car! WEll let me know if anyone knows about MB and liabilty and recalls w/ electrical fires, we all know the slk's have fire hazards anyway with the back lights. So what the heck

·
Registered
240 Posts
WOW! Sorry to hear that!

Hope you get it fixed to your liking!

I asked MB dealer about common problems with SLK's and he said the PSE pumps and the Check valves are very common. He says MB will not recall those items due to being a non-hazzard item.

Maybe they will look into your problem and recall it. At least that way you may be re-paid iny out of pocket cost in the future.

·
Registered
2001 SLK230 Kompressor
30 Posts
What year is your SLK???

This really makes me nervous about the SLK's after reading the MB lemon's page. There are several people that have had electrical problems and cars catching on fire or smoked-filled cabins is NOT good.

That's great that you might have all this on tape and for sure talk to MB about it and see if they will help you. More then likely it's something on the SLK that's faulty.

Good luck and keeps us posted...

Gmni Drm

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
jsupstarz said:
I heard there was some fire issues with the 2000 s series, do you think I should contanct mb? The good thing is I pulled in a gas station w/ cameras before it lit up so they can't say I did it. And also I have no aftermarket electrical anything. If there is a fault with the car that catches it on fire than they should give me a new car! WEll let me know if anyone knows about MB and liabilty and recalls w/ electrical fires, we all know the slk's have fire hazards anyway with the back lights. So what the heck
You did pull into gas station in a smooking car ?

Please call NTHSA - they will investigate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kirill said:
You did pull into gas station in a smooking car ?

Please call NTHSA - they will investigate.
I had to do it was that and see what it was and not have the car blow up, so I could get a fire extinguisher. It was nighttime. Why call the nthsa? What will they do?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts