Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to a job site yesterday on the interstate about 75 mph and noticed smoke behind my car and a smell of rubberish burning. I pulled over immediately and smoke began coming from under my car, the hood, and from under the dash. Looking under the car, the smoke was coming from behind the fire shield around the transmission, forward firewall and sometimes further back on the car. The insulation behind the fireshield had caught fire. I had a couple gallons of water with me in the trunk and did my best to get to the fire to put it out. I poured water down the insulation at the top of the firewall, ripped up the carpet on the front passenger side seat and poured water through the hole behind the console on top of the hump, started to disassemble the dash center part(ash tray and above) and found another hole I could pour through. I got under the car best I could on the side of the interstate and used a screwdriver and needlenose pliers to pull as much of the burning/melting insulation out but to no avail. The car went up in flames and here's the pics... :( Has anyone ever heard of the insulation catching on fire???? Needless to say, I'm pissed off about it all and loved that car. I will get another one at some point in the future.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Aw, man, that is a sad sight indeed. Sorry to see it. I'm glad you're okay, though.

I've never heard of insulation catching fire. However, it can become impregnated with oil, etc. and that is certainly combustible.

I'm sure it won't really bring you much consolation, but I think this is the first time I've heard of a 210 going up in flames, at least that wasn't attributable to collision, etc.

I wish you luck in finding another one. There are plenty of them out there, that's for sure, but it's harder to find a really good one than it is to find one that looks good. ;)

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
That's terrible! Thankfully no one is hurt, material things will always be replaced by better ones. Look forward for your next beautiful car :)

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Sorry for the loss of a car.
>>... did my best to get to the fire to put it out
Too risky to save because gas tank could explode.
What work, maintenance or repair, was most recent on the car?

·
Registered
1997 E320
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the loss of a car.
>>... did my best to get to the fire to put it out
Too risky to save because gas tank could explode.
What work, maintenance or repair, was most recent on the car?
Some A/C work, had a starting issue and replaced the N61 relay under the hood, changed the headgasket about 9 months ago was last major work though. I could tell the burning was over top of the transmission behind the fire shield so I wasn't worried about the gas tank until there were actual flames not just smoke coming through the dash.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Most firemen would say that fuel leak is the most likely cause for car fire.
I don't know if the work that you mentioned was near a fuel line to have touched it. Check the floor/ground where you parked the car last to see if there's any trace of leaks (fuel/oil/fluid). Anyway, good luck on finding another W210 if you've been loving it.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
991 Posts
Most firemen would say that fuel leak is the most likely cause for car fire.
This is the reason that I did not want to replace the fuel filter myself and let dealership replace them for both of my W210's.

Most likely I can do it myself though.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
I am sorry man.
You might want to call MB USA and see if they might want to get involved in the investigation. Obviously lot of people would like to know the cause.
Good luck on seeking another car.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Insulation is supposed to be..... fire proof insulation. It must have bneen heavily impregnated with fuel.

Sad about your car.:(

Hope your insurance covers the cost of the fire department.

Remember the days when M.B.'s came equipped with a fire extinguisher?:rolleyes:

Lucky you weren't in a Asian car. The plastics in those cars emit toxic fumes if they catch fire. You can serious health problems if you breathe those fumes in.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Sorry to see this however, from your posts the car seems that it was a problem child from the very beginning and you bought it really cheap. Hopefully you didn't have much in it: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1216653-who-owners-e-class-12.html#post4887176

Important thing is that you are OK. Maybe something in this thread could have been the cause of the fire?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1649618-car-wont-start-buzzing-sound-dash.html

Hopefully the insurance company will give you enough for you to buy another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts