Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 107 got vandalized while in GA a couple of weeks ago and they cut the top, slashed the tires, and stoled the stereo. So I'm having a new top installed which I ordered from Germanex. It was 325 + 25 shipping for German original Haartz canvas. It should arrive at the installers Wednesday. We'll see what he thinks about the quality since he usually orders only from GAHH. Install should be two days so we'll see.

Got the tires ordered and installed and on the drive back to VA Friday I averaged 18.246 mpg @ 75 to 80 mph top down no AC and no tunes for the 648.7 mile trip. Man 10 hours without radio does make it seem like a long drive. I tried an Ipod put with the wind buffeting the ears the ear-buds started to hurt.

Not sure what I'm doing about sounds but it surely won't be a reinstall of the original. I'll either got the full blown route I talked about earlier or a more conventional one with 4" fronts and 6x9's or 8's in the rear, ala Nobby's triangular box.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,298 Posts
Damn, Mike. That is simply awful. Sorry to hear about it although it seems to be giving you the impetus to upgrade the ride a bit.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. Pisser was that the top was only 3 years old and the PO had replaced it with a OEM from MB top at the time. Tires I'd just replaced 2 months ago and Stereo was a high end Alpine 9887 with 2 different pairs of rear speakers I was testing how they worked with a Zapco amp. The Audio had been done on Saturday and the car broken into on Monday. I guess the audio was easy to get since it was all done temporarily until I had had decided what I wanted and how we were going to install it. They got the speakers by just take the rear shelf, I didn't even have it pushed all the way down, and a cheap unfinished triangular box screwed to it, with Infinity and Focal 6x9's installed.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Oh boy. But I read that SL's were still the least stolen sports car. I've been looking for the link ever since. But I have an idea why. Hope all the recovery work gives you closer.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks USSUN.
However, the only thing getting closer will be my money to the vendors hands which means they'll be that much closer to retirement.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
The pain, the pain.:mad:

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
Wouldn't ya like to just get your hands on them SOB's for a few hours. I hate a damn theif.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
19years ago I was hit by an arsonist, man was that fun. Lost everything I had in the world:mad:

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,109 Posts
I had a punk ass steal only the face plate from my head unit. WHAT THE FUCK YOU GONNA DO WITH A FACE PLATE???????

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

On the soft top ....Laverda and I have done quite a bit of leg work (mostly Laverda) and have decided that ARO of New York has the best QUALITY tops made from your choice of canvas.
Sonneland canvas is the real McCoy and, in my opinion, the best feeling, most flexible and proper material.

Good luck with the recovery.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave -- thanks and yes any and all miscreants

nobby -- Yes it was all the work Laverda and you did that was extremely helpful. And it was because of it I decided to go the Germanex route. If I remember right Laverda was not happy with the info she received from them and so wasn't sure of the quality. Therefore when I ordered I told them I would have the installer compare the product quality to GAHH and if he was not satisfied with it he would return it. So we will get a 1st hand evaluation of the product and if it's not up to snuff I'll be going the ARO route. Let's see if what 1/2 the price, paid 325 + 25 shipping, gets us.

Just doing my little bit for the info base of the group. Might as well make lemonade out of a lemon, No?

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,210 Posts
ouch

Boy, what a hit. The worst part is that the [email protected]&tard got away. Isn't there insurance dollars in play here?

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Man that really really sucks, especially the soft top. My mom had an old fiat and she said she'd always leave the top open so if anyone wanted anything they could have it. I have a 5 year old alpine worth like 100$ in my car and the speekers are like 40$ a pair front and rear so someone might make away with like 75$ worth of saleable goods. I take the face plate off but leave it in the unlocked glovebox so if anyone wants that they don't have to tear my car half apart.

I wish you luck and remember having an old car require a certain degree of thick skin, my car has been about systematically battered since I started heaping on the mile. I have a spare passanger window so if someone does break in they better do it on the passengerside.

I'm more afraid of a road rage incident escalating to the point of violence myself, but being aware I carry a thing of strong pepperspray and sometimes carry a 4inch knife if the shit really does hit the fan. God forbid I'd ever have to but if anyone came at me in a threatening manner the situation would be diffussed to say the least.

Good luck and remember it's just a car, the same thing my old man tells me all the time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Add some Absolut and ya just might have something worth drinkin'....
Or beer and you'd have a radler (German concoction of beer and carbonated lemonade drink enjoyed on those steamy 75 degree days they have there in Germany)

Smack -- yes ins covers all but the 1K deductible. I seem to have a good company so all should go smoothly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dave -- thanks and yes any and all miscreants

nobby -- Yes it was all the work Laverda and you did that was extremely helpful. And it was because of it I decided to go the Germanex route. If I remember right Laverda was not happy with the info she received from them and so wasn't sure of the quality. Therefore when I ordered I told them I would have the installer compare the product quality to GAHH and if he was not satisfied with it he would return it. So we will get a 1st hand evaluation of the product and if it's not up to snuff I'll be going the ARO route. Let's see if what 1/2 the price, paid 325 + 25 shipping, gets us.

Just doing my little bit for the info base of the group. Might as well make lemonade out of a lemon, No?
I'm a 1,93m (6 feet 4 inches for you dinosaurs) she. I'm not your ideal buggered either. Laverda is a motorcycle, and not a she bike at all.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bad Mea Culpa :eek: :eek::crybaby2::surrender: I guess :confused:

And whatever other Smilies that should be added.

I'm a 1,93m (6 feet 4 inches for you dinosaurs) she. I'm not your ideal buggered either. Laverda is a motorcycle, and not a she bike at all.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I'm a 1,93m (6 feet 4 inches for you dinosaurs) she.
Things like this wouldn't happen if you'd picked a normal name - a good American name. I think from now on we should call you Bob.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts