Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes ML320
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the C320 today and was pulling in the parking garage and i was on a slight grade going about 10mph and I got the same noise chuck described, coming from the front end. It sounds like a whirring noise. Sounds like a differential maybe? No idea. The car only has 700 miles on it and I don't want the dealer messing around with it if it is normal operation.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Can't say I notice it on mine...

I was driving the C320 today and was pulling in the parking garage and i was on a slight grade going about 10mph and I got the same noise chuck described, coming from the front end. It sounds like a whirring noise. Sounds like a differential maybe? No idea. The car only has 700 miles on it and I don't want the dealer messing around with it if it is normal operation.
Nor with the S430 4matic. However, I usually have the windows closed. The noise is probably just a transfer case or differential whine. I wouldn't be bothered too much with it. The ML's transfer case and rear differential makes a noticable whine at highway speeds with the throttle off (especially going downhills), and that's normal as well.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes ML320
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drew, i always have the windows up also. Our ML makes no whirring noise, it does make a...

drew, i always have the windows up also. Our ML makes no whirring noise, it does make a whine upon acceleration though.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I suppose it varies then...

drew, i always have the windows up also. Our ML makes no whirring noise, it does make a whine upon acceleration though.
The whine that you hear in the ML is probably the rear differential whine. And yes, it is normal. Mine is actually not too bad since it's only above 70 mph and with zero throttle that it does it. It used to be a lot more noticable, but I guess it has broken in now, heh.

But in any case, I haven't noticed any whirling noises with the C320 4matic, S430 4matic, or the E320 4matic. However honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it [:)]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts