Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everybody. I've already placed an order for a C230 Kompressor about 3 weeks ago. My dealer has told me there's still a week or two during which I can still make changes to my order. Now I'm having doubts.<br><br>
<br><br>
I chose the black leather seats and Panorama roof options only; manual transmission, black exterior. The seats go for sure, but, eventhough I REALLY like the roof, I've read of several people here who've found them to creak when driving diagonally over a bump. This concerns me. Any other inputs on this?<br><br>
<br><br>
I was also considering 3 other options and would like to read your opinions. Keep in mind I'm not even sure I will be able to afford what I've chosen so far, so adding more options would reduce my odds. Still, here they are:<br><br>
<br><br>
1) Metallic Paint. Thinking of going silver. I had already chosen black on black, but I'm not sure whether I want that black, a white or to pay extra for silver (seats are definitely going black, so is black on black nice?).<br><br>
<br><br>
2) The larger wheel package. God, it's more money, but what a great value, at least for a MB! Still, almost all what the package includes can be added later with aftermarket parts, so I'm hesitant.<br><br>
<br><br>
3) Illuminated door sills. REALLY like this! O am, however, kind of skeptical about paying $400 for this option. Anybody know if this can be done aftermarket?<br><br>
<br><br>
I will appreciate any input. I am aware many of the questions I made are a matter of personal taste.<br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2 cents

Color is totally subjective. If you really like the black, it's a great way to save $600 over the metallic options. Silver is going to be everywhere, so factor that into your equation, if that concerns you. My orion ccoupe should be here in two weeks; I really like the non-normal colors that are offered, like obsidian and capri, though an additional $1k makes some of the options alot of money.<br> <br> The C7 package is a really good deal at $750. I don't where you're looking, but to get aftermarket rims alone would cost you well over that price. If you can swing it, it's the best option out there.<br> <br> Personally, I couldn't deal without a sunroof, so I got the C2 package as well. If it squeaks, I can deal with it, though I'd assume that there should be a fix for that, hopefully, with a little lube or something.<br> <br> I agree with you about the door sills. I think they are really nice. But, I haven't seen the sills that come with the C7 package, so I'm hoping that they will be good enough for me, as the lighted sill price is very scary. You can always add the sills later, so I'd put them off, even though the warranty might not be as good.<br> <br> I'd try out the two different stereos as well. The Bose upgrade adds quite a bit to the stock system, and the system is really hard to swap out, so you might want to think of that, even though it'll add a little more.<br> <br> Good luck, and if money's really tight on the c230's budget, you might want to look at a used 325 or a new rsx or wrx.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My 2 cents

Thanks a lot. After reading your message, talking to some coworkers and thinking a bit, I think I'm going to go with your suggestion. Save the $640 for the paint and $400 for the illuminated sills and go with the C7 17' wheel package instead. The reason why I hesitated before is because I have not seen a picture of the wheels and I'm quite visual when it comes to that. Anybody know where I can see them? I think the 16' ones are decent/nice, so I was OK with them.<br> <br> I too like the not-so-common colors (I currently drive a yellow VW), but the premium you pay is something I cannot afford. This is my first MB and the first time I'm paying MB price for a car, so I can't get picky.<br> <br> Then the choice of colors is reduced to the 'free' ones: black, white or magma red and I like all three about the same, for different reasons. The black might be my favorite, but since the interior is going black too (charcoal, no doubt), I'm not sure it'd look good. White might be my next choice, but red will be less common. Decisions... decisions... Help?<br> <br> As far as the roof, I'm like you: REALLY like sunroofs! And, in this particular case, the Panorama roof might be the most characteristic feature of the C230K. You just gotta get it. ;)<br> <br> I'm not sure the extra money for the BOSE system is worth it in my case. I am indeed very much into sound and quality sound. I also play my music loud, but not to the point of needing a Bazooka, so it will take me a year or two to crack the speakers (LOL). Will the regular stereo be at least decent? I know it won't be easy at the beginning, but they might have good aftermarket systems or at least speakers in the near future.<br> <br> Have thought of a used 325 or 328. Still, my #1 choice is the C-Coupe (marque, maybe?). Also checked out the RSX (too laconic for my taste) and the WRX (WAY too laconic for my taste... no leather!).<br> <br> Thanks a lot for your feedback. Greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here's the third cent, then

The 17' rims are bodacious! There are several pics at www.mbworld.org, in the new c-class section. If you don't see them, keep going back in the discussions. They're really an improvement over the stock 16'ers. You can also see them (just remembered) at www.mbusa.com, if you do the 'build your own' option for the ccoupe. While you're there, check out the stand-alone price on the same rims. You'll see what a bargain the C7 package is.<br> <br> The stock stereo is decent; it's really missing the low end, which the upgrade has more of. I wouldn't have gone for the upgrade, but the system has fiber optic wiring, so you'd have to gut the entire system to put in a new headunit, and I really didn't feel like doing that, if only for the warranty issues. After the warranty expires, I'll probably do something on that end.<br> <br> Colors are tricky. I'm not a fan of the Johnny Cash look (black on black on black), so I wouldn't get a black one (besides, I've already got a black crx, which I'll be keeping). But, the rear end looks better with a black car, as the see-through portion looks less weird. Black shows dirt easily, and is damn hot, so keep those in mind.<br> <br> The magma looks really nice (especially with the color-keyed door handles, I'd guess), and you can't go wrong with white, which would be more subtle.<br> <br> I agree with you about the wrx and rsx; not really distinctive-looking to me. This will be my first new car (have had the crx for 7 years now - a/c just died, so the gods are telling me something), and thought I'd get something that's a little different, that will hold its value (hopefully).<br> <br> Good luck with the choosing; I'll try to remember to post a link to pics when I get the car. 2 1/2 weeks and counting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fourth Pfennig

C7 Wheels are good, along with the body-colored handles. I'd really rather that the AMG 5-spokers were available, but not this go-around. I've heard rumors that the car is slightly (like a half inch) lower with the C7 package, but so far, the dealers deny this. <br> <br> Also have heard on this board and other sources that the manual transmission is sometimes very rubbery, but I don't know how real those complaints are. It's probably fine, and the squawks are from nit-pickers, but still... I ordered the auto because I have to spend time in LA traffic and it's got a semi-automatic mode that's kind of novel.<br> <br> Went with power seats because of the memory functions. My girl is a lot shorter than me, so it takes a lot of pains out of switching drivers, but it's hellishly expensive. Went without the leather because I'm in the southwest, where triple digit temps are the norm, and you can't believe how hot the interior of a car parked outside can become.<br> <br> Other options rapidly price the car into a whole different world. Mine's a company car, so I loaded it down with everything but leather and heated seats. For the low cost alternative, I'd go with anything but white (for a guy: ever notice how white cars are almost invariably driven by beautiful women, or at least those with attitude?), manual, cloth, C7. You'd be probably under 30 OTD that way, maybe even with premium paint.<br> <br> However you option it, though, be assured that it's going to be a great experience, very Euro and unique and a heck of a step up from the Eclipse-driving crowd who are in the same ballpark price wise. Congratulations!<br> <br> +AB+<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: OK, here's the third cent, then

tommy, once again, thanks!<br> <br> The 17' rims are nice, I agree. I had actually seen pictures already; just didn't know it was those. The C7 goes!<br> <br> Keeping stock stereo. Will decide if I can or want to upgrade later, but refuse to pay that much for the BOSE system.<br> <br> Still undecided about the color. Considering all three. So far, magma red seems to be winning the battle, probably followed by black and then white. Andrew is right, white seems to be more for women, for some reason.<br> <br> Hope to see your car soon!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Fourth Pfennig

Andrew, thanks for your response.<br> <br> I have read about the lowering with the C7. In fact, I read numbers: 1.5 inches. Don't ask where. Unfortunately, I can't remember. At any rate, this is a nice addition.<br> <br> I agree about the white. I might go with the magma red. Read my reply to tommy for more details.<br> <br> By the way, when I placed the order, I added the roof and the leather and that, added to taxes and dealer fees, came up to $30,240. The C7 will add almost $800 ($750 + 6.5% sales tax), so I don't know if I will be able to afford the car. Will know when I find out exactly what I'll be given for my current car (1998 VW GTI VR6) and the interest I can get from a bank. I would rather not buy this car than getting it without the things I like, mainly the roof and leather.<br> <br> Thanks again!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: OK, here's the third cent, then

isn't there a package with the roof, the leather, and the bose thats $300 less than if you get them seperatley? I thin it's C5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts