Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit it that we bought Mercedes cars for no other reason than reliability, but both my wife and I hate driving our Mercs on anything but short drives. The reason is the seats. Both on my old 94 E220 and my wife's newer C Class C 240 the seats are like sitting on blocks of stone. I have sat on softer Church Pews than our Mercedes seats. After the first 50 kilometres one starts alternating from one cheek to the other as the one side becomes numb.

My wife has placed some foam about 10 cm thick on her C 240 seat and I have also placed some thinner foam under my sheepskin seat covers to make them a little more user friendly.

A good friend of mine who owned an older Mercedes coupe could not put up with the discomfort and replaced the Mercedes seats with the front seats from a Citroen DS from the 1970's as these must be the most comfortable seats ever made for a car.

Is this a common complaint by drivers??

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
the seats in my 300E are quite awesome actually :rolleyes:, haven't driven more than 2 hours at a time though, so perhaps, I always thought the MB-tex was more comfortable too.. poorly maintained leather gets tough

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've driven my old car 19 hours straight from Los Angeles, many times all over Southern California for various reasons, mainly related to rugby, and countless times to Phoenix to visit mum, and never have I ever had any problems with the seats being too hard.

Seats that are too soft are actually bad for you, and cause fatigue when you drive for more than an hour or so as they force your body to hold itself up while you drive, instead of being supported by the seat.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Cars built for export to Africa may have HD seat springs. I know they had other parts designed to handle the more severe driving conditions there. Like the thing pictured below. We, in North America, have never seen anything like that in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
The seats' comfort and support were a prime motivator for me buying the car. My suggestion is to mess around with your seating position. These seats are firm, yes, and I suspect finding a position that works for you is key. It took me several drives to get the position dialed in just how I like it.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I love the seats in my 124. I can feel a difference between early and late model seats, as well as MB-Tex and leather. Late leather seats are really quite nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I am not a large person but my B.M.I is correct for my height. I would imagine that the larger person may find the hard seats more to their liking.

I have three sports cars with hard suspension which I find an absolute pleasure to drive and regularly take 500 kilometre, plus, trips in them. I would not like to do that in either of my Mercs without the foam padding.

I have owned four Citroens, an ID19 of 1964, a DS 21 of 1972, a Citroen SM also of 1972 and a Citroen CX of 1978 and these have been the most comfortable cars for long driving that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
How many KM's? Seat bottom may just be worn?
Are you original owner?- Previous owners may have been on the "thick" side, and sped up the wear.
Are both drivers and passenger seats hard as rocks?

My brother had a 2009 s55, and I thought those seats were hard, the 2010 750 he replaced it with.... also hard seats. I really liked the springy 126 seats, those were firmly supportive.

Often people will swap a used passenger seat bottom in if the drivers is worn.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I find the seats in my W124 extremely comfortable. I only weigh 165 lbs and the only other owner of the car weighed less than I do so there is virtually no wear on my 24 year old seats.
I have driven as many as 20 hours straight on a W124 with no issues related to being uncomfortable.

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I have to admit it that we bought Mercedes cars for no other reason than reliability, but both my wife and I hate driving our Mercs on anything but short drives. The reason is the seats. Both on my old 94 E220 and my wife's newer C Class C 240 the seats are like sitting on blocks of stone. I have sat on softer Church Pews than our Mercedes seats. After the first 50 kilometres one starts alternating from one cheek to the other as the one side becomes numb.

My wife has placed some foam about 10 cm thick on her C 240 seat and I have also placed some thinner foam under my sheepskin seat covers to make them a little more user friendly.

A good friend of mine who owned an older Mercedes coupe could not put up with the discomfort and replaced the Mercedes seats with the front seats from a Citroen DS from the 1970's as these must be the most comfortable seats ever made for a car.

Is this a common complaint by drivers??
Unlike everyone else that has posted so far, I'm having the exact same problem; cheek shifting on trips. I am the original owner/MB Tex and no doubt there is some internal, bottom seat wear. I notice there are kits aplenty for restoring the 123 seats, but haven't seen much for the 124. I started a thread like this last Fall about uncomfortable seats. It was also said that the seats were improved again around '90 on. I have no pick & pull here to substitute another seat of the same color. I wouldn't be adverse to trying a decent seat kit though.

Other than that, I was shopping for some kind of thin gel pad and didn't come up with anything. I'm riding gangsta now so I can see the speedo, so I really don't want to sit much higher.

Kevin

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
PO must have been a chick with a huge ass! with a hankering for all that's sweet and greasy! flat seats and sticky gooey remains in every corner!
I actually bought a steam cleaner to clean interior,heat up the sugar and tooth brush it away! :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Some people routinely use their cars as moving restaurants. Generally, I try to avoid buying used cars with that much obvious 'contamination'. There seems to be a correlation between doing that to the interior and not taking care of the mechanical bit as well.:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
This was a ebay car remember? JM and mom bought it when I was at work! they called me at said guess what we bought! I just said cool,in the back of my mind ,said to myself,well I'll have to become a MB mechanic! so far so good:eek:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Unfortunately I am not a large person but my B.M.I is correct for my height. I would imagine that the larger person may find the hard seats more to their liking.

I have three sports cars with hard suspension which I find an absolute pleasure to drive and regularly take 500 kilometre, plus, trips in them. I would not like to do that in either of my Mercs without the foam padding.

I have owned four Citroens, an ID19 of 1964, a DS 21 of 1972, a Citroen SM also of 1972 and a Citroen CX of 1978 and these have been the most comfortable cars for long driving that I have ever owned.
of course your MB seems uncomfortable, DS seats are like lounge chairs!
though I think such plush seats are probably bad for your back/posture over long distances, Mercedes doesn't mess around with ergonomics :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
of course your MB seems uncomfortable, DS seats are like lounge chairs!
though I think such plush seats are probably bad for your back/posture over long distances, Mercedes doesn't mess around with ergonomics :thumbsup:
I think that Mercedes was very preoccupied with safety and watched in detached interest/horror, as some of the other car manufacturers were sued relentlessly over sometimes faux safety issues.....the 'unintended acceleration' debacle comes to mind.:rolleyes:

So....with that in mind, rather than give you the plushness of a Jaguar and Bentley seat, they designed seats to keep you awake and fully functional. My driver's seat has never been comfortable to me from day one. I rarely ever rode as passenger, so I can't comment on that seat. Logic would dictate that the seat has gotten worse over the yrs...I dunno, but this 'cheek shifting' on trips has got to stop.:eek:

Kevin

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't weigh much, have basic Euro-style cloth / velour seats in mine with 100,000 on them, and find them utterly comfortable and relaxing when adjusted right. No numbness, no back pain even after several hours - definitely one of the best chairs I've had so far. I owned a Citroen DS for a short time years ago and that was perfectly comfortable too... for an hour. After that, back-ache all the way for me.

I remember my first long drive in a C250... I really suffered in that car (with cloth seats also) and remember thinking that Mercedes had really lost the plot somewhere. Like boards, and not supportive for thighs and lumbar region either - couldn't wait to get out. Ouch.

A friend has MB Tex in his 124, and he regularly complains about them just like you guys are. Could it be that it's the stiffness of the covers (an age thing) rather than the seat design / springs that's causing some problems?

Or maybe car seats are a little like bike saddles - one does not fit all.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I don't weigh much, have basic Euro-style cloth / velour seats in mine with 100,000 on them, and find them utterly comfortable and relaxing when adjusted right. No numbness, no back pain even after several hours - definitely one of the best chairs I've had so far. I owned a Citroen DS for a short time years ago and that was perfectly comfortable too... for an hour. After that, back-ache all the way for me.

I remember my first long drive in a C250... I really suffered in that car (with cloth seats also) and remember thinking that Mercedes had really lost the plot somewhere. Like boards, and not supportive for thighs and lumbar region either - couldn't wait to get out. Ouch.

A friend has MB Tex in his 124, and he regularly complains about them just like you guys are. Could it be that it's the stiffness of the covers (an age thing) rather than the seat design / springs that's causing some problems?

Or maybe car seats are a little like bike saddles - one does not fit all.
I think it could be a combination of ALL of the above. I.e.; the seat foam and springs are aging, they age depending on the weight of the driver and the amount of hrs spent on the seat cushion, the MB Tex is stiff and lastly, pressure points seem to vary greatly from individual to individual.

All I can tell you is my experience...which is now painful. Somebody else telling me how great & comfortable their seats are, does little to diffuse the pain. I just bought a auto gel seat from amazon.com. I'll report back what that seat is like for my bum issue.;)

Kevin

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'll report back what that seat is like for my bum issue.;)
Kevin
Jeez Kevin - let me know well in advance so I can order some pizza's and beer ! :D

But please, no close up shots ! :rotfl:

But seriously - I will be interested to hear how you go wth that. I have a lower back issue from playing football (aussie rules) and I find I need to squirm around a bit to find just the correct level of support on the leather seats. They have been refurbished a couple of years back but like any chair, continued exposure to weight will cause weakening of the foam etc. Short of pulling them out and repadding once again, alternative suggestions most warmly entertained as an option !

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think it could be a combination of ALL of the above. I.e.; the seat foam and springs are aging, they age depending on the weight of the driver and the amount of hrs spent on the seat cushion, the MB Tex is stiff and lastly, pressure points seem to vary greatly from individual to individual.

All I can tell you is my experience...which is now painful. Somebody else telling me how great & comfortable their seats are, does little to diffuse the pain. I just bought a auto gel seat from amazon.com. I'll report back what that seat is like for my bum issue.;)

Kevin

You're quite right, it was a bit of a pointless comment, sorry. :eek: I hope the gel does the trick for you anyway, I've known people to change their car over this issue and it would be great if you could find a good bum-soother to solve it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts