Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys

i just got home now from a trip to my cousin in connecticut around 100 miles one way ( 200 miles total). anyway the temps here in mass today droped down to 18*F and when i left my house around 8 pm it started snowing also .. so i go about half way driving 50 miles and the temp in my car started rising a bit and went up to the line between 80 and 120*C. i was like what the hell .. so was bouncing up and down.. so i was like ok i didnt pay so much attention to it. so well when i arrived at my cousin house the temp raised up to 110*c and the motor start sputtering.. i was like what the hell man .. i open the hood and everything seemed fine under there just the motor was hot i squezed the radiator uper house and it was soft. i close the hood and i let the car cool down for a while .. so i stay over my cousins for a while and i had to come back home so i went back .. the car was good for half of the way the temp was staying at 89*C and all in a suden started going higheer and kicked to 100*C.. so i was like what now i stop i open the hood and to see what was wrong and nothing again everuthing seemed fine , no smoke no antifreze odor no nothing.. so i i get back in the car and drive home , right where i entered the road to my house the temp kicked up to the white mark at 120*C.. i was like wooow:eek: and was so surprised with it i put the car in the driveway i shut it off and at the moment i shut it off the smoke started coming from the hood and i smell antifreze burning..:crybaby2:

i open the hood an i only see smoke coming from burned antifrezze and what to see also the reservoir cap was lose where you put the coolant in.. how is that posible ?? did that thing just released and unlocked by itself.. or what..i didnt even get a coolant warning light in my panel neither so it could have warned me..

can you guys help me to diagnose whats wrong with my car and with all my descriction to what happend what could have caused all these..?? like a month ago or so i replaced my thermostat because the old one was stuck open so since then the car has been working fine up to this moment where all this disaster happend..

i am also including some pictures of the temp reading and also at this temo range did i blow the head gasket or it has been saved??
any help appreciated

thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
My first guess is.. The water/antifreeze mixture is to weak or to old.. So you got small clogs in the system with ice.. This will cause the temperature to raise at sertain spots in the engine, while still frozen in other spots..
I had this problem with my G-wagen many years ago.. It was a freezing -18 Centigrades out, and when driving at 60km/h well, the effective cooling temperature surely was -30 C
With an old mixture of antifreeze.. Well, the engine started making strange noises and the temp raised slightly at first.. Then much more.. oopss?!? What ??
WEll, I stopped, and very quickly found out there was ice-crystals in the radiator.
Check this out on your car..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I don't know if this is related or not, but I assume when you took this the car was idling and in "park". If that is the case, then why is your mileage gauge reading zero? It should be pegged the other way.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can first check your codes to see if any problems, then if nothing change the thermostat & check the fan clutch. I presume you have adequate coolant in the expansion tank.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can first check your codes to see if any problems, then if nothing change the thermostat & check the fan clutch. I presume you have adequate coolant in the expansion tank.

ok guys have some updates..
i went to tha car poped the hood filled the expansion tank with antifrezze cause it was empty it took at least half gallon which is like 1.8 liter..
anyway so i start up the car and it took like 18 minutes and the temp raised up to 87*C and wasnt moving .. so i take the car for a spin i drive around town for like 1 hour and slowly in traffic the temp raises up to 105*C and in highway speed id drop to around 95*C and it wont go down to 87*C cause thats what thermostat i temp range i have installed in the car. i took a picture of it today to show you guys where the temp gauge is staying now.. .( outside temp today is 37*F).

also i dont hear my auxilary fans kick on when the temp raised up to 100*c.. (i heard them yesterday- but not today)
and one other qstn how do i check the fan clutch if its a faulty one or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first easiest thing to do is get all the coolant out, and replace with fresh one. get the zerex g-05 that is mb approved from any autoparts store. also change the thermostat, pretty cheap and easy to replace. a member from the w210 section did a diy not that long ago, should be same setup as yours. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1360233-pictorial-diy-thermostat-replacement.html

o tirona

ckemi plako.. hej si thu mer pervec se me i nxjerr antifrezen do kete nai pomp uje apo na i gjo tjeter?? me i bo naften ka fillu tani tu nxjerr problemet nji mas nji plako.. une ja nderrova termostatin para nja i muji e gjys ene ska pas na i problem.. tani ka fillu qe mrom me kete problem..

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
po ja pate ndru termostatin, athere mos ja ndro prap, po ndroja antifrezen po s;ja pate ndru 3-4 vitet e fundit se dhe ajo mund ta ket fajin. s'ma ha mendja se esht pompta ujit, se pompa ujit fillo e rrjedh uje kur prishet, ose i bejne zhurm guzhinetat. mos u merzit se do rregullohet, ndonji gje e vogel do jet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
po ja pate ndru termostatin, athere mos ja ndro prap, po ndroja antifrezen po s;ja pate ndru 3-4 vitet e fundit se dhe ajo mund ta ket fajin. s'ma ha mendja se esht pompta ujit, se pompa ujit fillo e rrjedh uje kur prishet, ose i bejne zhurm guzhinetat. mos u merzit se do rregullohet, ndonji gje e vogel do jet.

u gadit plako..

aty ku osht ajo fija afer asaj te temperatures ku osht termostati ishte shkri fare.. e hoqa i vuna fije te reja ene fillun me punu ato 2 aux fans and direkt temperatura filloj u ul.. rrofsh plako..

kalofsh mire

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys,

thanks for all your replies..

problem fixed.. it was a wire next to the one where the temp send unit is and that thing was melted i unpluged and repaired it and right at that moment the aux fans kicked in and the temp droped and wont rise 90*C anymore even parked..

thanks again

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
u gadit plako..

aty ku osht ajo fija afer asaj te temperatures ku osht termostati ishte shkri fare.. e hoqa i vuna fije te reja ene fillun me punu ato 2 aux fans and direkt temperatura filloj u ul.. rrofsh plako..

kalofsh mire
Your fingers are on the wrong row of the keyboard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts